Author Topic: shapechanging  (Read 2042 times)

Offline Braininthejar

• Legendary Member
  • I'm old...
    • View Profile
shapechanging
« on: November 10, 2015, 05:51:49 AM »
Just making sure, because I'm 95% sure the answer is "no"

If an outsider has some equipment "built in" as part of their default form, such as a balor's lightning sword, does it show up if you shapechange into it?

Offline Kethrian

• Legendary Member
  • Night Owl
    • View Profile
Re: shapechanging
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 09:16:46 AM »
No, you only get to keep your own equipment, if the new form can wear/hold it, otherwise it is subsumed into your new form.  None of the rules state gaining new gear in accordance to your new form.
What do I win?
An awesome-five for mentioning Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness.

Offline faeryn

• Dedicated Spellthief: stealing all your spells
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 07:14:34 PM »
No, you only get to keep your own equipment, if the new form can wear/hold it, otherwise it is subsumed into your new form.  None of the rules state gaining new gear in accordance to your new form.

I belive they were asking about if you gained use of a Balor's Lightning Blade when choosing to shapechange into a Balor... I'm under the impression though that the answer is NO.

Offline Braininthejar

• Legendary Member
  • I'm old...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2015, 10:20:15 PM »
What about something like a marut? It is a construct, but its AC is largely an armor bonus rather than natural armor bonus - would it appear unarmored? (there is also a spell that specifically changes you into a marut. What about that one?)

Offline faeryn

• Dedicated Spellthief: stealing all your spells
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2015, 11:58:52 PM »
What about something like a marut? It is a construct, but its AC is largely an armor bonus rather than natural armor bonus - would it appear unarmored? (there is also a spell that specifically changes you into a marut. What about that one?)

If you use shapechange to become a  Marut you would NOT gain the +8 Armor Bonus, but would still gain it's +16 Natural Armor...

However... the spell that specifically changes you into a marut, just so happens to specifically grant you that very +8 Full Plate armor.

Offline Braininthejar

• Legendary Member
  • I'm old...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2015, 06:24:56 PM »
Thank you. This solves the topic