Author Topic: I need help with a character build for a seasoned dnd DM  (Read 2103 times)

Offline Ten-K

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
I need help with a character build for a seasoned dnd DM
« on: November 22, 2015, 04:11:09 AM »
I have been playing dnd for about 5 years now and have consistently played the charge damage dealer in most campaigns. In my current campaign I have chosen to switch to a  shadowcraft mage  build that i am building not to completely break the quasireality shenanigans but to abuse the power of the build as a whole. The issue I have is that my DM is a very seasoned veteran of  DND 3.5 (which is the primary rules that we use) and has no issue killing a character which is not my issue. My issue is that even though I have been playing so long the rest of my group seems to be able to devote more time than I currently do to find abusive class combinations and most of the time I am one of two people that are typically overlooked when it comes to character creation (the other being overlooked because of his devotion to flavour). I just want a few suggestions for powerful builds that will bring me more in line with the rest of my playgroup. If you could include a brief summary of how the build works I would be appreciative. 

Offline Solo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Sorcelator Supreme
    • View Profile
    • Solo's Compiled Works
Re: I need help with a character build for a seasoned dnd DM
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 02:11:48 AM »
What does the rest of your group do?
"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down."

Offline stanprollyright

• The Looks
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 06:29:04 AM »
What does the rest of your group do?

Yes.  Which role are you trying to fill?  Druid 20 is always good.
Goats are like mushrooms
If you shoot a duck I'm scared of toasters

Offline Nunkuruji

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I shall bring great terror
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 04:44:21 PM »
I'll give you my anecdote

Last campaign (1-20) one of my players was a cleric (akadi) based SCM with other PrC being Thaumaturgist.
Main duties
Summoned grappler minions to soak HP and keep party safe (ice beasts in earlier levels)
Hand out magic (cookie trick) to other party members
Binds & Cohorts for additional/massive action economy
Nukes when sorcerer couldn't make it
Stay out of sight, always

Basically, could usually change the tide of battle if need be, or sit back and safely let the party make big numbers.
I capped reality at 100%, it seemed hardly a hindrance.
The power curve was fine within the party, given the front liners were ToB classes with access to crafting / magic mart.

If your table likes the high level caster spells meta game, SCM can play ball. Or you can non aggression pact on shenanigans.