Author Topic: Communication with command (OOC) I  (Read 13864 times)

Offline geniussavant

• Honorary Mod
  • Neither genius nor savant, mostly just confused
    • View Profile
Communication with command (OOC) I
« on: June 16, 2016, 10:39:01 AM »
Out of character chat and questions for me.
Smile beautiful. It's not as bad as you think.
I usually post from my phone. Please excuse any typos. I swear, they're the phone's fault.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Re: Communication with command (OOC) I
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 11:31:53 AM »
I'm writing a final exam today so I won't be able to get my sheet up until at least tomorrow, especially since with Oslecamo's pure crafting stuff apparently being on the table I've got to rework my character to use that. That stuff is stupidly strong, enough to let me solo the CR 13 Aspect of Tiamat at level 8, assuming self-buffing with only 1 hour or longer duration spells and a potion of Fly.

Offline geniussavant

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 01:44:18 PM »
No worries on the exam. Good luck. I hadn't realized I'd let in the pure crafting... That wasn't intentional, and usually I would say no to it. Has anyone already used it for their characters? If not, I'm probably going to say no. If they have, we can work things out.
I usually post from my phone. Please excuse any typos. I swear, they're the phone's fault.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2016, 06:13:17 PM »
I saw it in use on Oslecamo's sheet, so I assumed it was in.

By the way, just got out of the exam. I'm pretty sure I aced it.

Offline geniussavant

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 05:55:11 PM »
Yeah, I probably missed it when I said things were good. No worries, I don't mind a high powered campaign. I'm running one now and it's going epic without epic spell casting. It's pretty awesome. It's only a 2'5 character party. One SCM gestalt with sword sage and an artificer//warblade(I think it's warblade anyways) and the artificer's intelligent iron golem bruiser.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2016, 06:48:43 PM »
I was hoping to NOT have to switch to pure crafting, actually (apologies if I gave the opposite impression). If it's in, it's the obvious choice, no contest, so I'd have to give up my spellcasting (it's not stupendous full casting, but I like having it, and it would be annoying to restrict it to only downtime and long duration buffs). If you buff enemies to compensate for a stronger baseline, it just means that whoever doesn't use pure whatever items (like our resident shapeshifter) gets punished. I'm going to stop now before I get ranty about imbalance and bad design.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2016, 07:01:12 PM »
I feel pretty weak in comparison as it is for now, as far as my defenses are. We're still at the point where casters are squishy and AC matters, though that reminds me I still need to tweak my spell selection. I think I only just got to 16 AC assuming I keep Mage Armor on, which is far lower than the tanks (which is the point of course).

--edit--
After reviewing the currently posted sheets, the Construct is the only one making me feel inadequate, so I think I'm doing just fine.  :lol

Also, I think I would vote against pure crafting myself, since it seems best used to help a more standard non-caster keep up with casters as levels progress. Most of the ToBhou classes Osle has created really have no trouble keeping up and most are capable of some quite powerful effects as well. Not overpowered generally, but I think pure crafting isn't as necessary unless we're kicking the CO into a higher gear (in which case I could use some higher stats plz, :D)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 07:12:33 PM by VennDygrem »

Offline geniussavant

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2016, 07:45:01 PM »
Assuming it doesn't gimp osce's character, I'll say no to pure crafting then. If it does, which I think is unlikely, I'll work something out with hun

I don't mind the construct being a brute, after all, that's the role I think of when I think construct. As far as I can tell though, and I haven't poured over it with a fine toothed comb, he shouldn't be much good with much out side of combat that didn't rely on strength.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2016, 09:50:41 PM »
I don't mind the construct being a brute, after all, that's the role I think of when I think construct. As far as I can tell though, and I haven't poured over it with a fine toothed comb, he shouldn't be much good with much out side of combat that didn't rely on strength.

IIRC, Phaedrus's character was originally built for a power game with a bunch of higher power character creation rules (I can see ~48 PB equivalent array of stats, magic items getting properties alongside enhancement bonuses, and max hp in the sheet, wouldn't be surprised if I'm missing something else), too, in addition to starting at a level higher than ours does. Once he's got the build adapted for this one, I expect he'll look a little closer to everyone else (quick guesstimate with average HD is 60-ish hp and AC 25). He'll still be stupidly tanky, though, as is appropriate for a character focusing on being tanky.

By the way, what's the policy here for hp? Max, average, roll 'em, etc.?

Edit: Also, for everyone else in the party, any suggestions or requests for what auras I should take? I can only run one of each type at a time, and their bonuses are morale bonuses.
- 1 draconic aura. I get one, and it's always active. Energy surge (+1d4 energy damage per attack), grace (15% miss chance), indomitability (+1 all saves), power (+1d4 damage per attack), senses (blindsense 5 ft., darkvision within 60 feet of me), and toughness (DR 2/-, or increase existing DR by 2) look like most likely choices.
- 3 divine auras. I'm already going with Prayer (fast healing 2 below 1/2 hp) and Righteousness (+1 AC and saves vs. evil, non-good summoned creatures can come near like with Magic Circle Against Evil). The last one depends on what everyone else finds useful. Unlike the others, these only have a 10-foot radius, so whoever else is joining me in melee will be more likely to benefit.
- 4 minor auras. I'm taking Motivate Charisma (+Cha to Charisma checks and skill), Motivate Dexterity (+Cha to initiative and Dexterity checks and skills), and Watchful Eye (+Cha to Reflex saves, because otherwise my Ref save is crap). The last one is up for whatever anyone finds useful.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 10:05:42 PM by Garryl »

Offline geniussavant

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2016, 10:44:56 PM »
I had noticed that it was built using high powered rules than ours, that's why I don't expect him to be to powerful once things are done.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2016, 11:21:56 PM »
Basically I'm fine after reading through the other sheets. I so seldom play casters in PbP, and less often play in games that aren't higher CO where loads of homebrew makes for stupidly-high stats, AC, saves, etc. It tends to shift one's perspective a bit. Besides that, the one time I played Garryl's Mage was in an 8th level gestalt game combined with a Force Golem and a huge stat array, so of course that character's numbers were way higher.

I'll be eager to see how the class does on its own with more or less normal rules.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2016, 10:45:56 PM »
Assuming it doesn't gimp osce's character, I'll say no to pure crafting then. If it does, which I think is unlikely, I'll work something out with hun

Also, I think I would vote against pure crafting myself, since it seems best used to help a more standard non-caster keep up with casters as levels progress.

Half the point of pure crafting is also that buying magic weapons kinda sucks. As Garryl himself points out in the character section, paying 2K for a measly +1 to damage from a Masterwork Weapon just isn't worth it, and then you need to pay a whooping 6K for the next +1/+1 to hit/damage. Most sensible parties will just have the wizard/cleric cast greater magic weapon instead of spending piles of gold in tiny upgrades. Magic armor/shields aren't much better, in particular when you consider just how many attacks ignore armor/shield outrigjt.

Mind you, pure crafting weapons don't count as magic, so their damage output greatly falls against anything with DR/magic. I suppose we'll be fighting a fair amount of dragons against which that would be quite relevant.

Still the Mythical Maid indeed doesn't need to use Pure Crafting, Metal Maid is just an option after all. If the DM says that non-fullcasters must pay an arm or leg to craft/buy good weapon upgrades, I'll obey and switch around some options so that Maria is a Magical Maid since she's now free to cast spells.

Offline geniussavant

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2016, 11:07:48 PM »
I'll look everything over again. As an alternative, we could use something a group I played in did. Basically, you get all of the equipment replacement features of view vow of poverty without the drawbacks. The trade is that wealth by level is reduced by either a 1/3 or 1/2. I can't remember which. But if anyone is interested, we can figure it out.

Offline geniussavant

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2016, 11:54:57 PM »
I'm going to say no to pure crafting. As much as I like the idea, and I agree that the d&d wealth system is borked, I'd rather not implement something else. I will continue to look at it, but not for this game. Maybe next time.

Tomorrow, I will be going over everyone's characters to make sure everything is ready, I hope to open up the games tomorrow night.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2016, 09:15:39 AM »
Maria is now a Magical Maid. Also got some 400 GP plus chump change to spend.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2016, 01:30:30 PM »
Oslecamo, you're basically three guys, right? And Risada, you're doing lots of wild shaped natural attacks? Which do you think would be more useful overall, a 15% chance to be missed by attacks, or +1d4 bonus damage? On the one hand, a unique defense, on the other, bonus damage on ~12 attacks (after including Haste).

Offline Risada

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2016, 09:40:41 PM »
15% miss chance. I still am not at the level of a lot of attacks, and by then I may be able to get something to help with the damage.

Edit: that is, as long as the defense doesn't have any restrictions like the bonus damage.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 09:45:31 PM by Risada »

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2016, 10:52:12 PM »
15% miss chance. I still am not at the level of a lot of attacks, and by then I may be able to get something to help with the damage.

Edit: that is, as long as the defense doesn't have any restrictions like the bonus damage.

15% miss chance (improving to 20% at level 6) as long as you're not denied Dex to AC. The damage is either a straight +1d4 (+2d4 at level 6), or +1d4 (+2d4 at level 6) acid, cold, electricity, fire, or sonic (changeable as a swift action).

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2016, 11:22:28 PM »
Dumped some minor items and got a least crystal of arrow deflection for Maria.

Oslecamo, you're basically three guys, right? And Risada, you're doing lots of wild shaped natural attacks? Which do you think would be more useful overall, a 15% chance to be missed by attacks, or +1d4 bonus damage? On the one hand, a unique defense, on the other, bonus damage on ~12 attacks (after including Haste).

The Mook Maids are kinda just that. They don't have maneuvers. They got some fancy guns to shoot from safety, but don't expect any big damage from them.
Madalena will also double as trapfinder, and Margarida can cook some healthy meals (basically really cheap potions that you need 1 minute to consume them and go bad after 8 hours, Maria can harvest ingredients from any organic stuff we kill to completely skip the costs). They can both use Bright Teacher stance to buff up others.

Also Maria already gets a better miss chance from her best stance, and she's focused in lots of attacks, so I would prefer the extra damage. 15% miss chance also isn't that likely to trigger, and killing enemies faster means we don't need to worry about them attacking us.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2016, 12:08:44 AM »
Dumped some minor items and got a least crystal of arrow deflection for Maria.

Crystal of Arrow Deflection is shields only, unfortunately, otherwise I'd have picked one up, too. Although I don't see anything stopping you from using a light shield or a buckler (masterwork so the ACP is 0 and thus no nonproficiency penalty, and you don't seem to be using your off hand as far as I can tell).

The Mook Maids are kinda just that. They don't have maneuvers. They got some fancy guns to shoot from safety, but don't expect any big damage from them.
Madalena will also double as trapfinder, and Margarida can cook some healthy meals (basically really cheap potions that you need 1 minute to consume them and go bad after 8 hours, Maria can harvest ingredients from any organic stuff we kill to completely skip the costs). They can both use Bright Teacher stance to buff up others.

Also Maria already gets a better miss chance from her best stance, and she's focused in lots of attacks, so I would prefer the extra damage. 15% miss chance also isn't that likely to trigger, and killing enemies faster means we don't need to worry about them attacking us.

Any preference for energy damage vs. physical damage?