Author Topic: The Perfect Spy  (Read 1806 times)

Offline SolEiji

• Epic Member
  • I am 120% Eiji.
    • View Profile
    • D&D Wiki.org, not .com
The Perfect Spy
« on: March 20, 2015, 08:06:05 AM »
On phone but need to know.  Trying to make a "spy" solid snake or james bond style, but unsure where to start.  They're kind of rogues kind of monks kind of fighters things.  Ideas how I might build one?
Mudada.

Offline snakeman830

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • BG's resident furry min/maxer
    • View Profile
Re: The Perfect Spy
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 09:40:43 AM »
Changeling to start.  Much easier to get into anywhere you want when you have a disguise in an instant.
"When life gives you lemons, fire them back at high velocity."

Offline altpersona

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • You are here
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 11:03:32 AM »
unbodied, mindblank, non detection
The goal of power is power. - 1984
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow
The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga still sux.

Offline Captnq

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Haters gonna hate. Dragons gonna drag.
    • View Profile
    • Ask the Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 02:14:50 PM »
Yeah, changeling. They got some feats where their subtype actually changes to what they imitate.

If you want James Bond, however, James Bond had the following:

1. One truly amazing Artificer outfitting him with wickedly munchkin-approved items. (Q)
2. Off the chart skill bonuses. Specifically bluff, diplomacy, spot, listen, search, move silently, and hide. In later years he picked up amazing levels of Jump and tumbling. Seriously, he was always an action star, but Quantum of Solace took it to an absurd level.
3. He's a monk. He takes people down with one blow. That's stunning fist if I ever heard it. He never wears body armor. However, he's only got two levels for the evasion
4. Because he's actually an Erudite With Ascetic Psion and Tarshalona when it comes to the actual combat skills. He's picked up a few buff powers/spells and basically uses charm person like it was going out of style. All his weapons are actually the few energy X psionic powers that he picked up over the years, but he managed to get a variant of primitive caster so he can add foci (guns and missile launchers and what not) to increase the ML and thus the damage of his weapons. You could make an effective james bond around 9th level, IMHO.
If you have questions about 3.5 D&D, you might want to look at the:
Encyclopedia Vinculum Draconis

Currently: Podcasting

Offline polycrac

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • slam drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 02:41:42 AM »
I'd go for Factotum - Chameleon if you want a more 'social' spy, whisper gnome monk (or spellthief?) if you are looking for a more 'physical' infiltrator type.
so an Elf, a Dwarf and Treant walk into a bar...