Author Topic: Do we have a throwing handbook?  (Read 3802 times)

Offline SolEiji

• Epic Member
  • I am 120% Eiji.
    • View Profile
    • D&D Wiki.org, not .com
Do we have a throwing handbook?
« on: March 28, 2015, 08:08:29 PM »
Hmm.  I swore we did but for the life of me I can't find it.  Isn't there a handbook on throwing weapons fighting?

And if not, got any suggestions on optimizing it?
Mudada.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a throwing handbook?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 08:56:16 PM »
I could have sworn we did to yet there appears to be a lack of one.  The only Feats I can remember that effect thrown weapons are Brutal Throw, Power Throw, Ricochet, Throw Anything, Grenadier, and Hurling Charge.

Offline Shadowhunter

• E6/E8 fanboy.
    • View Profile
    • The additional vestige collection for all you Binder players out there.
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 11:19:21 PM »
You might be thinking about my consolidated topic on most things Dexterous. http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=12509.msg214897#msg214897
Took me quite a while to go through my backlog to find that one, since I don't have it bookmarked. I have a few throwing hints in there. I've never taken the time to properly format the thing or submitted it to the handbook section. Maybe one day I'll get around to it.

Offline SolEiji

• Epic Member
  • I am 120% Eiji.
    • View Profile
    • D&D Wiki.org, not .com
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 12:54:17 AM »
This shall do for now.  We probably should have a proper Throwers handbook, it's not exactly an easy style so it seems ripe for optimization.  Merci, Shadowhunter.  You win 1d4 Confusing Pineapples.
Mudada.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 03:04:03 PM »
Hulking Hurler had a bunch of different versions, progressively more T.O.

Hulk-LESS Hurler was a variant.

iirc those should still exist on the multi-consolidated old wotc C.O./T.O. board, but I'd bet some of the hardwork threads, have gone poof.

Vaguely recall a Halfling Skip-Rock thingy with ridiculous # of attacks.
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 05:00:51 PM »
Then there's Bloodstorm Blade builds taking advantage of Aptitude Weapon to count whatever weapon as a boomerang and abuse Boomerang Ricochet with it.

Offline Kethrian

• Legendary Member
  • Night Owl
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 08:43:36 PM »
For magic items, I could recommend Gloves of Endless Javelins, Helm of the Hunter, and Gauntlets of Extended Range.  First gives infinite +1 javelins of force; 2nd gives the Far Shot feat, plus +5 spot, and even a 1/day 4-hour buff granting low-light vision and 60' darkvision; and 3rd gives doubled range for thrown weapons.  That works out to (30'x2x2) = 120' range increment with the javelins.  And given the enchantment stacking rules, the hands slot would cost 10,000gp (7000 + [2000 x 1/5]), and the helmet costs 9000gp, and since 2 of them are from an item set, you even get Feather Fall continuously which you can start or end as a swift action!

Now, since the javelins are force, they obviously ignore incorporeal miss chance, but I'm wondering if they are still subject to DR ...  If they ignore DR as well, they are absolutely amazing!  The gloves don't say, so I'd be inclined to use the Force enchantment rules for them, meaning they do.
What do I win?
An awesome-five for mentioning Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness.

Offline SolEiji

• Epic Member
  • I am 120% Eiji.
    • View Profile
    • D&D Wiki.org, not .com
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2015, 09:04:07 PM »
Gauntlets of Extended Range
Now, since the javelins are force, they obviously ignore incorporeal miss chance, but I'm wondering if they are still subject to DR ...  If they ignore DR as well, they are absolutely amazing!  The gloves don't say, so I'd be inclined to use the Force enchantment rules for them, meaning they do.

I forgot about the Gauntlets, perfect!

The javelins do indeed do force damage, so no DR.  It's one of my favorite items.  I once used it on a monk for "ki blasts".
Mudada.

Offline Captnq

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Haters gonna hate. Dragons gonna drag.
    • View Profile
    • Ask the Captain
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 03:45:48 PM »
Oh, don't mind me. I only made a thread right HERE asking if anyone wanted to have a specific group of feats looked at. So, you know, if you asked for all the throwing feats, I'd put together something like this:

(click to show/hide)

but, you know, that's half-assed because nobody asked for a write up of all the throwing feats. So don't worry about it. I'll just sit over here, being all passive-aggressive.

Don't forget Martial Monk for easy entry into fighter only feats.

And I LOVE how BLOOD-SPIKED CHARGER turns you into a thrown projectile. There has GOT be be some ways of manipulating that into some twisted RAW rules bending.
If you have questions about 3.5 D&D, you might want to look at the:
Encyclopedia Vinculum Draconis

Currently: Podcasting

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 05:51:59 PM »
I have this image in my head of the blood-spiked charger (with Battle Jump of course) riding on a centaur, and said centaur is a hulking hurler.