Author Topic: Would you tolerate a DM who places Strength caps on female characters?  (Read 27044 times)

Offline X-Codes

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • White, Fuzzy, Sniper Rifle.
    • View Profile
Re: Would you tolerate a DM who places Strength caps on female characters?
« Reply #60 on: September 09, 2013, 10:25:19 AM »
If memory serves in this debate the gulf between sexes in terms of net physical strength is actually tiny, something like 5% on average between men and women. Those who have studied statistics will know that even a pretty small difference means the tail end of the normal distribution can go a fair bit further, so the summit of limits between genders for those at the peak of physical ability is considerably wider.
The tails of natural distributions do not have any limit as to how far they can go.  In fact, they go on indefinitely.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #61 on: September 09, 2013, 11:02:47 AM »
I think it's funny that the thread idea is premised on different sexes of the same species having stat modifiers when the differences in stats between different species are extremely minor.  I'm going to go out on a limb and say that human male and human female have more in common physiologically than human male and dwarf female. 
Eerr, elves, orcs, dwarves and humans are all the same exact species, just different races. That's not only what the rules call them (races), they can also reproduce true between each other.

Offline Yirrare

• Vano Runca - Best NPC name ever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 09, 2013, 11:30:06 AM »
I think it's funny that the thread idea is premised on different sexes of the same species having stat modifiers when the differences in stats between different species are extremely minor.  I'm going to go out on a limb and say that human male and human female have more in common physiologically than human male and dwarf female. 
Eerr, elves, orcs, dwarves and humans are all the same exact species, just different races. That's not only what the rules call them (races), they can also reproduce true between each other.
While I agree with much of what both of you said here (Difference is species/races > gender dimorphism), can we close the can of worms that is how reproduction works in D&D.  :tongue

Best Regards
Yirrare

Offline Unbeliever

• Legendary Member
  • gentleman gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 09, 2013, 12:05:17 PM »
Species is not well-defined, an issue for philosophers of biology.  Neither is race for that matter.  I refuse to pin much on Gary Gygax's understanding of these matters.  And, unsurprisingly, fantasy biology does not follow any recognizable scientific rules, viz. dragons.  And, in most D&D game worlds all these races can't interbreed.  There are, to my knowledge, know half-elf/half-dwarf hybrids, or half-orc/half-dwarf hybrids.  Even half-human/half-dwarves were a Dark Sun novelty.

The idea that Elves are only as different biologically from Humans in D&D as, say, Asians are from Africans strikes me as a bit nuts.  The 800 year difference in lifespan would seem to be an important factor.  Not to mention magic eyes, etc.

But, we're talking about a universe with magical plagues and giant winged creatures.  Any debate about realistic biology seems besides the point.  As other posters have noted, it seems like it would just be concealing something else, likely something pernicious.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 12:07:34 PM by Unbeliever »

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #64 on: September 09, 2013, 12:27:13 PM »
Species is not well-defined, an issue for philosophers of biology.  Neither is race for that matter.  I refuse to pin much on Gary Gygax's understanding of these matters.  And, unsurprisingly, fantasy biology does not follow any recognizable scientific rules, viz. dragons.  And, in most D&D game worlds all these races can't interbreed.  There are, to my knowledge, know half-elf/half-dwarf hybrids, or half-orc/half-dwarf hybrids.  Even half-human/half-dwarves were a Dark Sun novelty.

The idea that Elves are only as different biologically from Humans in D&D as, say, Asians are from Africans strikes me as a bit nuts.  The 800 year difference in lifespan would seem to be an important factor.  Not to mention magic eyes, etc.

But, we're talking about a universe with magical plagues and giant winged creatures.  Any debate about realistic biology seems besides the point.  As other posters have noted, it seems like it would just be concealing something else, likely something pernicious.

Sooo, you first claim that orcs/elves/dwarves/humans are diferent species and not diferent races, and then make a 180º turn and claim that there's no definable diference between races and species anywhere? Despite decades of work of both countless biology scientists and D&D authors? Ah, so you get to make up both real world and game rules all by youself now, that sounds logical indeed. ;)

The rules call them races. They produce viable offspring because there's countless listed hybrid races out there. You closing the eyes to the facts won't make them go away.

(as for dragons, they're naturally magic beings. Wizards sorcerous powers did it)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 12:31:24 PM by oslecamo »

Offline Unbeliever

• Legendary Member
  • gentleman gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 09, 2013, 02:53:16 PM »
As I said above, neither race nor species is well-defined.  As in, there is not a good definition for what separates one species (or race) from another.  The concepts are not well-defined.  "Well-defined" means "unambiguous." 

I'm not an expert in this field, so I'll just quote the first source I found: 
Quote from: Species in Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy (emphasis added)
The nature of species is controversial in biology and philosophy. Biologists disagree on the definition of the term ‘species,’ and philosophers disagree over the ontological status of species.
What are biological species? At first glance, this seems like an easy question to answer. Homo sapiens is a species, and so is Canis familaris. Many species can be easily distinguished. When we turn to the technical literature on species, the nature of species becomes much less clear. Biologists offer over twenty definitions of the term ‘species’ (Hey 2001). These definitions are not fringe accounts of species but prominent definitions in the biological literature.

Oh fuck, that's like totally what I said in my earlier post.  The definition of species, it turns out, is ambiguous and controversial and ill-defined. 

Damn, it sucks that the combined fields of biology and philosophy of science can't hold up to these standards of "logic." 

The concept of "race" has been subjected to mountains of criticism.  Again, I'll just quote one study that took me about 5 minutes to find: 
Quote from: Conceptualizing human variation in "Nature Genetics" 36, internal citations omitted
The term 'race' engenders much discussion, with little agreement between those who claim that 'races' are real (meaning natural) biological entities and those who maintain that they are socially constructed ...
'Race' is not being defined or used consistently; its referents are varied and shift depending on context. The term is often used colloquially to refer to a range of human groupings.

The authors then go on to propose a particular definition for "race" amongst the alternative, inconsistent ones, and then using that definition, which they had to rehabilitate, come to the following conclusion: 
Quote from: Conceptualizing human variation in "Nature Genetics" 36, internal citations omitted
We argue that the correct use of the term 'race' is the most current taxonomic one, because it has been formalized.
'Race' is a legitimate taxonomic concept that works for chimpanzees but does not apply to humans (at this time). The nonexistence of 'races' or subspecies in modern humans does not preclude substantial genetic variation that may be localized to regions or populations.

So, this scientific article notes that (1) the term "race" is ill-defined, having different meanings, and (2) on the meaning that they find most scientifically well-supported, there is no meaningful differentiation in modern humans. 

I'm just going to go back to closing my eyes to the major controversies in these fields now ...

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 09, 2013, 05:20:41 PM »
I think it's funny that the thread idea is premised on different sexes of the same species having stat modifiers when the differences in stats between different species are extremely minor. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that human male and human female have more in common physiologically than human male and dwarf female.

Flagons of Fire Wine, and a Limited Wish later ... I bet even the Dude DM would be "color"-blind.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 05:23:11 PM by awaken_D_M_golem »
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline Iainuki

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Breaker of games
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 09, 2013, 10:10:46 PM »
That rule raises two huge red flags for me: it attempts to make a game "realistic" while displaying a weak grasp of both reality and the genre, and its focus is sexist.  I would walk.

3e D&D stats aren't really intended to model actual people, and if they were, they're terrible at it.  Anyway, in 4d6 drop lowest, a character has a 1.6% of getting an 18 and a 5.8% chance of getting a 17 or 18.  That's just not that unlikely, and even given the real-world strength discrepancies between men and women, a lot of women are that strong.  The system is not fine-grained enough to deal with extreme tails.  Meanwhile, if I want to play a woman who's a strong warrior in D&D, I damn well ought to be able to.  A setting that has magic, dragons, and beholders can't accommodate muscular women?  Please.  D&D is about unusually powerful, lucky people succeeding at the kinds of things that would get you killed in real life.

This has nothing to do with the OP's point, but if you want an example of sexual dimorphism in mammals where the female is larger and stronger than the male, look at hyenas.

Offline Chemus

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 10, 2013, 12:56:16 AM »
I'm not in favor of making statistical gender disparity a part of D&D. In 2e (and moreso in 1e) there were a few playable races with such disparities. Drow Females were stronger and larger than males, though this was most likely to mimic many spider species.

In order to try to 'fix' the DM's perspective, my first impression is that the chosen disparity is too large; it's the same as the difference between many small and medium PC races. I'd lobby for either removing it as an insignificant difference (True in this case, and the best case scenario.) If necessary suggest reducing it to -1 and then giving +1 Skill point per level. Then allow a female character to choose to spent the 1 SkP/lvl to get the +1 Str back (No more than that).

IRL, men are encouraged to be strong, where women often are not. Gender difference, by height+weight, may be explainable as mostly that. So in the spirit of verisimilitude, males are stronger by default because they train at it more. Females often use the training elsewhere , thus the +1 SkP/Lvl, but they can train the same and get the same effective results.

I think if he's not already butthurt about this, he may see the 'logic' of this suggestion. If he's digging in his heels too much, walking away would be up to you.
Apathy is ...ah screw it.
My Homebrew

Offline Ananse

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 10, 2013, 11:34:56 AM »
The only think that slightly irked me when I was still hung up on "realism" (but I got over it) is that often very strong males were depicted with big muscles like Arnie's Conan, but females with equal (or greater) strength were thin and sexy like a supermodel and the only things they had bigger were their boobs. And it's not even just fantasy. Look up superhero comics. Most superhumanly strong males are riped while females range from athletically built at best to thin models at worst.

Rule of fanservice basically. Heavily muscled women just aren't considered that atractive by most society's standards.

. . . Which is in and of itself kinda fucked up.

Not only are beauty standards not realistic, they seem to defy real beauty standards.

For example, iirc, studies have shown that in most societies, males tend to prefer females with larger backsides than what supermodels present. Yet, supermodels continue to exist. The aesthetic persists as a cultural sacred cow, even though, all other things being equal, it isn't an ideal. A small, cultural elite has determined what terrestrial penises like, and those penises have not been consulted on the matter.

I have dubbed this the Sir Mix-A-Lot Conspiracy.

In any event, I think a minor version of this is in play when it comes to muscular women -- did the majority of straight males and lesbians watching Terminator 2 say, "Gosh, there is no way I'd have sex with anyone looking like Linda Hamilton." Is there a universe in the multiverse where that could happen?

That said, when I wanted a race with strong dimorphism it did mean I had to go out of my way to make one. Which was a bit of a pain.

Well, to be honest, d20's racial stats leave much to be desired in the first place. Ability score modifiers are terrible because of class specialization (which runs rampant in 4th, making the problem possibly even worse there, shockingly). The scores force you into disassociation because really extreme fantasy races become increasingly unbalanced unless you fudge the scores (ignoring kludges like LA). If you throw the mods out completely and just let individual characters throw a standard set of +2's and -2's about, then differentiate races on their special abilities, you'll be a happier geek.

Even if I had a race where the males were 4'5" on average and females were hulking 6'7" beatsticks, on average, where I employing the above houserules on this subject I'd still just throw some special abilities out there for each sex and let people choose stats directly. . . because some player will take a look at this new race and say "I want to play a shriveled, sickly wizard female!"

In standard fantasy, anything can fuck anything. The lack of dwarf-elf hybrids isn't the result of a conscious, canon decision, it's just the result of the designers being unimaginative.

Not all definitions of species look to individual interfertility. More importantly, the writers of d&d, when it comes to issues of biology and society, are mostly unmitigated hacks, so the idea that their conceptualization of race should inform our conceptualization of fantasy species is mostly crap because their writing is mostly crap. The word "race" is used because it felt more in-genre than species. If Robert Ervin Howard had described Cimmerians as a species, we'd be talking about the elvish "species" right now.

This has nothing to do with the OP's point, but if you want an example of sexual dimorphism in mammals where the female is larger and stronger than the male, look at hyenas.

Indeed, look at hyenas.

Then look at Gnolls. And note that the rules include NO dimorphism for gnolls.

Offline Bard

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Medium sized Lemure
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 10, 2013, 11:39:44 AM »
Am I the only one that's more bothered by the useless and bad houserule added by the DM without consulting the players than the male/female disparity that it represent?  :rolleyes

That'd be reason enough for me to go away, it speaks volumes of the kind of DM and it's a bad precedent.  :P
"Playing the first 6 levels in D&D is like watching the story intro at the beginning of an action/disaster movie: it's boring and the shorter it is, the better."

Offline Libertad

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
    • My Fantasy and Gaming Blog
« Reply #71 on: September 11, 2013, 02:07:38 AM »
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I feel like I must write an essay on this.  I'm cross-posting this from elsewhere, and I want to cast a wide net of responses and tips.  Please evaluate it and tell me where I can improve.

Actually, it's less of an essay and more of a post I'm planning to put on the forum.

Basically, giantitp forums are a haven for tabletop gamers, especially D&D players.  Every so often someone makes a thread about female characters in D&D.  Time and time again, we get the same old song: someone says something sexist in a wrongheaded way or expresses disbelief in women warriors, people react, people defend said sexism, conversation goes from gender portrayals in tabletop games to off-topic dicussion sexism in real-world modern day society (which does not tie back into the topic at hand).  Troll posters jump in to say that feminists are all meanies, mod locks the thread.

Link 1.  This thread is a very good example of the phenomena.  OP asks about a hypothetical of a DM limiting Strength caps for female PCs because "realism," and surprisingly there were defendants of this make-believe DM.  Some of the most egregious posts include the familiar "Political Correctness gone mad!"  and "Women players shouldn't be offended because the PC is make-believe, like dragons or orcs!"

Link 2.  On a similar thread, of an OP who has trouble imagining women taking up arms for a living.

I have no problem discussing gender portrayals in games, and there can be a lot of good to gain from this.

But discussion about this issue is difficult because:

1. Political discussion is not allowed on giantip, so using real-world examples of how sexism in games is problematic must be restricted so.

2. One or two of the feminist posters can be jerks at times, unfortunately, even if they're right about a lot of things.  One got mad at me in a thread when I encouraged people to start reporting off-topic posts (thread was originally discussing drow matriarchy, but devolved into conversation about women in the Middle East or something I can't remember), and argued that she should be allowed to be off-topic when talking about sexism.  Jerk posters come in to insult her as a hyper-feminist, even though her feminist opinions are pretty moderate and mainstream.  I reported those posts as well.

3. Whenever this comes up, whether it's people criticizing sexism or denying it, I notice the same usernames popping up again and again.  It's the same people arguing most of the time.

But this issue is going to keep happening again and again, and simply not talking about it isn't going to lead to progress.  However, I was planning on making a post in "Board/Site Issues" about this, and wanted you folks to look over it.  Below is what the post will look like:

The Essay

I've been thinking about this a lot, and not just because I posted.  Although not quite common, a similar trend emerges on this board, where a poster starts up a thread about women/gender issues in RPGs.  The most recent example is Agrippa's "Would you tolerate a DM..."thread.  Several months ago there was one entitled "Female warriors and physical aggression."

Both cases bear striking similarity; an uncomfortable attitude towards the existence of strong, martial women in a tabletop game.

Discouragingly, both threads ended up locked, the former in the case of the conversation being derailed from sexist DMs and house rules towards real-world racial issues.  I believe that discussion of gender issues in RPGs is important, not only because acknowledgement of trends and portrayals in fiction are a valid form of critique, but because in recent years there is an elephant in the room: portrayal of women and incidents of sexism within the tabletop fandom.  And while many gamers are decent people, there is a not-so-insignificent segment among the tabletop community which propagates an atmosphere unwelcoming to women.  And is being discussed in many areas, both among fans and game designers.

Now, I don't believe that I can cover the whole issue with but a single post, but I will go over the major things:

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

To Be Continued
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 09:25:20 PM by Libertad »

Offline Libertad

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 11, 2013, 06:13:46 PM »
So, grammar, spelling, punctuation?  Does the essay flow and read well?

Anything I need to add or change to strengthen my points?

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 11, 2013, 06:37:17 PM »
+1
Well crafted so far.
Of course it's a minefield, and the worst of the worst won't listen or learn anyway.

Nother example (which might not be useful) the current women's Tennis champ is ultra feminine ... yes aDMg is a good judge of such things  :rolleyes (nope).  She's got her own line of clothing and other "branding" type things.  Yet she's 5'11" and an unpublished 190+ pounds ... 180 cm + 86 kg.  Definitely the strongest women's tennis player ever.  She can beat almost all men at tennis regardless of how cheesy a point buy the guys parents used.  And out earns them you go girl !   
In d&d terms she's Str 18+ , Con 18+ , Dex ~17 , Int 12 or 13 see branding , Wis 9 she's goes "off" some times , Cha 16 (and it's really only on this stat that racism could rear it's ugly head).  Exotic Weapon Prof , Intelligence to attack , some Craft skill points , some Diplo + Bluff + Perform vs. the Referee.  And that's before leveling up , or magic !!

Real life Magic?  It's a standard semi-trope that a woman gets into a car wreck, and her child is trapped, so she rolls the car off her kid.  That's adrenaline for you + magic too.  Oddly, dudes usually can't get so worked up to do this.  You don't love your kids enough, tough guy, right?

Offline Libertad

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 11, 2013, 07:01:49 PM »
What's the tennis player's name?

Edit: essay now has its own thread.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 07:37:28 PM by Libertad »

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 13, 2013, 02:34:03 PM »
Serena Williams ... lots of pics to choose from.

She's like +1 S.D. height and weight to the average American male, maybe 98th to 99th percentile for women.  Which makes those "stats" all by themselves rather normal and common.  A small town of 10 000 people should have 1/4 of the men and say 100+ women bigger that her.

And a word of encouragement for this project Libertad.  These games could use a market expansion, into groups that previously had nothing to do with us.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 02:37:20 PM by awaken_D_M_golem »

Offline Threadnaught

• 1% good ideas 99% crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 14, 2013, 08:33:35 PM »
I saw it suggested that males get bonuses to physical stats and penalties to mental stats. While females get the opposite. This kinda skews the balance of the game in any adjustment between genders, but here we go. Munchkin mode activate.

Of course when I play video game RPGs, I tend to go for the most powerful build that matches my play style. In The Elder Scrolls, I have three ultimate builds. In Morrowind and Oblivion I choose the Male Altmer for the extra HP along with the benefits of being an Altmer (mechanically the best Race in either game). Done, easy. In Skyrim, there are no immediate benefits to starting out as either gender, later on though. You get 10% damage/shopping bonus against opposite sex. Female character immediately. Not Altmer, they suck now, go Orsimer or Breton. I think the Breton ability may be worthless though, Orsimer is the best choice.

So with the idea of Males getting boosts to physical stats vs Females getting boosts to mental stats. I'm more likely to go for a Female character when playing as two of my favourite classes. Of course, this would have a negative impact on my third favourite class, Monk. That said, I could totally see anyone attempting to be the real version of this rhetorical DM, getting smacked upside the head by a group of Female Tier 1s, with power beyond their level. In my opinion they'd deserve it for not thinking of the consequences of giving women that much power and taking so much away from men.
Of course if the DM stacked things in favour of Male characters, then just reverse that last sentence.