Author Topic: Would tabletop RPGs suffer by being more mainstream?  (Read 14340 times)

Offline Shinkuro

• Lurker
  • The Guy with way too many Loli PCs.
    • View Profile
Re: Would tabletop RPGs suffer by being more mainstream?
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2012, 11:36:40 PM »
mainstream, though not so good for the hardcore players of the hobby, is good for the surviveability of the hobby. bringing new mainstream gamers. a niche hobby eventually falls apart when they run out of customers to cater too. though more people are becoming accepting of RPG elements as the majority of video games incorporate them.

more casual players are always nice to have. means more groups to join.
i used Touhou Project Themed characters for several years before i even knew about the games.

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2012, 11:52:41 PM »
I think people also underestimate how they've changed in the intervening years. I think it's much more likely that the combination of nostalgia and change in taste leads people to dislike games today. Not the fact that there has been a qualitatively negative change as games became mainstream. Seriously, games from the 90's are approaching two decades in age. Do you guys honestly think your tastes are exactly the same as they were back then?
I know that nothing would ever compare to my first impression of Red Alert's tesla coil charging up. Or my first zerg rush. Or my third roguelike(the first two killed me too good to leave an impression). The games hadn't changed much, but what I enjoy and what TIME I have left to enjoy them with certainly did.
Everything is edible. Just that there are things only edible once per lifetime.
It's a god-eat-god world.

Procrastination is the thief of time; Year after year it steals, till all are fled,
And to the mercies of a moment leaves; The vast concerns of an eternal scene.

Offline Eagle of Fire

• Moderately experienced 3.5 GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2012, 10:54:45 AM »
@Amechra: Thanks for the game link. Finally had time to try it out but this is a puzzle game and I'm not really into that too much.

As for nostalgia above... Yeah, there ought to be nostalgia about the old games I played and loved. But nostalgia have nothing to do with my critique of the new games. There used to be a lot of crappy games back in the days too and I used to flag a bunchload of them as crappy games back in the days too. The thing is that it's way harder to actually find a good game nowaday, using the exact same standards. This is what it is all about for me.

Offline Arturick

• Ascended Fatbeard
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2012, 04:50:44 PM »
I think people also underestimate how they've changed in the intervening years. I think it's much more likely that the combination of nostalgia and change in taste leads people to dislike games today. Not the fact that there has been a qualitatively negative change as games became mainstream. Seriously, games from the 90's are approaching two decades in age. Do you guys honestly think your tastes are exactly the same as they were back then?
I know that nothing would ever compare to my first impression of Red Alert's tesla coil charging up. Or my first zerg rush. Or my third roguelike(the first two killed me too good to leave an impression). The games hadn't changed much, but what I enjoy and what TIME I have left to enjoy them with certainly did.

@Vasja:  I hope I'm not included in the "grogs hating on modern games" category.  Let me specify that I do, indeed, like a lot of modern games.

@Veekie:  There's also a difference between nostalgia and the limits of replayability.  I played three exhaustively completionist playthroughs of Arcanum.  I tried to go back to the game, but I was put off by the sheer boredom of knowing everything.

@Amechra:  DRoD has about as much in common with an RPG as Tetris.

There are a fair amount of benefits to "mainstreaming," as well.  Look at the changes in various aspects of gaming culture (i.e. female characters are no longer "part of the treasure" or warrior maidens dressed in nothing but pasties and a spiked butt plug).

Offline Unbeliever

• Legendary Member
  • gentleman gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2012, 05:37:20 PM »
@Unbeleiver: As far as I am concerned, I addressed you and your points (just as many others on this thread too). If you're not happy about it or how I did it then please tell me how I'm supposed to do it or what you actually think I didn't address. Otherwise you're only trolling me right now. I'm not impressed.
I will try to get over my crushing disappointment about your opinion. 

Apparently questioning how someone knows something about a thing they personally avow never to have played or experienced is "trolling."

And, since you asked, what you failed to do is separate my informed opinions about games I'd actually played (which you claim you had not) from banal bullshit sentiments like "it sold a lot of copies."  The former is an aesthetic judgment, one that I could explain the reasons for.  The latter is a noisy signal.  Rather than respond to my comments you went all grognard "industry hype this, and sales that," which shows you didn't want to actually respond but instead indulge in starwmanning.  And, that doesn't mean that you don't necessarily have a problem of finding games you enjoy.  But, when the only types of games are limited to an idiosyncratic sub-genre, you might hesitate to export that opinion to everyone on Earth. 
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 05:46:49 PM by Unbeliever »

Offline Eagle of Fire

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2012, 12:06:24 AM »
Unbeliever, I can return your own comments right back at you.

It is not because you like the way the industry is going right now that every single person on Earth also do. I'm simply displaying my discontentment on the way the path the gaming industry has taken but you seem to take it very at heart for a reason I can't really understand.

You seem to want to completely disregard those arguments that you consider "noisy signals", but why exactly? Those "noisy signals" comments are completely true. The gaming industry have a very firm grasp on the majority of its buyers and are able to make them believe about anything. I used that argument that major hits are usually considered games which sell well to point out that very point exactly but you simply dismiss it like if I was simply blowing some hot air or something.

With such a reaction I simply wonder if anything I'd ever say on this topic would change anything to you.

If you really want to have this conversation between us to move on you really need to understand that I didn't state all those points you are frivolously dismissing just to whine or try to troll (which I consider ridiculous for you to think BTW). I really believe what I said in this thread and everything I said also come both from decades of experience playing so many games I could not even dream to start to count because frankly there is simply way too many to remember...

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2012, 12:25:18 AM »
If it ever went really, really mainstream, we'd probably see a splitting of product lines.

Babby's First D&D -> Dumbed down, disneyfied version of D&D that caters to ages 4-10.

"Normal" D&D -> Something like what 4E already is. Simpler rules, faster paced game, but not completely dumbed down.

Hobby Level D&D -> Realistic and mini-focused game that's more expensive and full of rules.

Oh, but wait... We already have something like this.

Well, i think then they'd only sell more, i guess.
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline Unbeliever

• Legendary Member
  • gentleman gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2012, 01:02:59 AM »
Unbeliever, I can return your own comments right back at you.

It is not because you like the way the industry is going right now that every single person on Earth also do. I'm simply displaying my discontentment on the way the path the gaming industry has taken but you seem to take it very at heart for a reason I can't really understand.

You seem to want to completely disregard those arguments that you consider "noisy signals", but why exactly? Those "noisy signals" comments are completely true. The gaming industry have a very firm grasp on the majority of its buyers and are able to make them believe about anything. I used that argument that major hits are usually considered games which sell well to point out that very point exactly but you simply dismiss it like if I was simply blowing some hot air or something.

With such a reaction I simply wonder if anything I'd ever say on this topic would change anything to you.

If you really want to have this conversation between us to move on you really need to understand that I didn't state all those points you are frivolously dismissing just to whine or try to troll (which I consider ridiculous for you to think BTW). I really believe what I said in this thread and everything I said also come both from decades of experience playing so many games I could not even dream to start to count because frankly there is simply way too many to remember...
Emphasis added.  First of all, "noisy signal" is a term of art.  It means something that may convey some information, but there is also some "noise" in it that makes you not trust it.  Also, you misread my comments:  game SALES (and reviews, etc.) are noisy signals.  They may mean that the game is really really good (and hence sold a lot), but they may not. 

Read the bolded part of your comments.  Now, assume your gentle reader is a person who is reasonably pleased with the way the video game industry has matured.  The conclusion is that he (in this case, me) only believes so b/c he is a brainwashed robot. 

Now, walk up to someone and accuse them of being a Stepford [insert appropriate noun here] and see how they respond. 

The reason that point was dismissed was b/c I pointed out a set of "mainstream" games that I said were quite good.  And, you responded by saying that I only thought so, not b/c I had actually played them, but b/c I was some sort of marionette.  To some extent, I'm skeptical that you would be able to convince me otherwise.  You'd have to make some general argument that quality of games now was worse than it was 10 years ago.  Given that my contention was that there are some great games out now, which I used to indicate that mainstreaming hadn't hurt at least one traditionally geek industries quality, you'd have to convince me that the games I thought were quite excellent over the past few years weren't.  That seems ... unlikely, and odds are laborious.  There might be some possible general argument to make, but I can't even imagine what shape it would take. 
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 01:08:18 AM by Unbeliever »

Offline Shinkuro

• Lurker
  • The Guy with way too many Loli PCs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2012, 01:50:41 AM »
If it ever went really, really mainstream, we'd probably see a splitting of product lines.
we already sort of have that

Babby's First D&D -> Dumbed down, disneyfied version of D&D that caters to ages 4-10.
pathfinder beginner box

"Normal" D&D -> Something like what 4E already is. Simpler rules, faster paced game, but not completely dumbed down.
4E, Legend, Osric, 5E

Hobby Level D&D -> Realistic and mini-focused game that's more expensive and full of rules.

Oh, but wait... We already have something like this.

Well, i think then they'd only sell more, i guess.

the first 3 editions and their derivative systems. with relatively few exceptions.
i used Touhou Project Themed characters for several years before i even knew about the games.

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2012, 03:48:25 PM »
I think you failed your sarcasm check, lol... I don't think becoming mainstream would impact the hobby, at all. We'd have more marketing, and probably the books and minis would become cheaper.
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline Eagle of Fire

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2012, 04:14:28 PM »
Emphasis added.  First of all, "noisy signal" is a term of art.  It means something that may convey some information, but there is also some "noise" in it that makes you not trust it.  Also, you misread my comments:  game SALES (and reviews, etc.) are noisy signals.  They may mean that the game is really really good (and hence sold a lot), but they may not. 
Well then we finally agree on something I guess. However, I was under the impression that you opposed my argument on this subject because you thought otherwise. You keep asking for proof that games are better or worse than the past, however which kind of base ground would you want to use then? The gaming industry itself completely consider games which sell low as extremely bad games and games which sell very high as the best games around, completely irreverently of if they are good or bad to begin with. This is why it was brought up because even though we might both (or all users in this thread) know that it is false, it is so widely used right now that it is considered as an universal truth.

What I can do, though, is try to explain to you what I think make a game good. Maybe by establishing some base comparison pattern we will be able to move on in this discussion. So, what I consider and always considered the most important point in a game is simply the gameplay and, to a lesser degree, originality. A game without gameplay or with bad gameplay is not going to cut it for me. You could have the best graphics in the world, you could have the biggest evolving world ever created... But without gameplay it's quite meaningless.

I could cite you a lot of examples of recent games which do that but in my mind I think Spore is probably the best example to use here. Great potential, the game was sold as the ultimate game you'd ever want to play. Evolve your specie from cell to space age? What's not to like? In theory anyways. In truth, in the game all you do is rush each single stage as fast as possible without much regard for the real evolution of your pet because a) it's forced to you and you can't change the stages and b) it doesn't impact the end result at all. Then you get to the end stage, the space age, only to find out that you are simply a carrier of some sort and the few missions available always repeat themselves endlessly. Thing is, since you are the only craft in your fleet even though your empire can span thousand of planets (!?!) you always end up either destroying everybody else to be quiet around you or endlessly running from planet A to planet B to solve mindless problems the inhabitants should be able to solve by themselves. Thus completely wasting your time both in game and out of game.

Now, Spore is the real first game of it's kind. So the originality factor really kick in and add to the game. This fortunately drag a quite poor game back up to a low good game because you have the feeling you are playing something you have never seen or played with before. But that's about it, really.

So, what kind of game would I consider great or a gem? Humm... There is actually a lot. But let's try to stay somewhat recent... I'll pick Minecraft. What's great in minecraft? Well, about everything. But to expend on the notion, the gameplay is great because whatever you want to do in this game you can do it. I personally could not stand the game if there was only the creative mode (I'd rather play with Legos, mind you :P) but there is also the adventure mode which hooked me into the game. Run around alone in an endless world, learn how to craft everything you need (the first time I played that game I never looked at the Wiki. It was a great learning experience) then dwelve deeper and deeper underground to fight monsters and find rare gems or metals to further help you develop your trade... I believe that's brilliant gameplay. Originality is really there too because even though the game has been inspired by a bunch of other games it is still truly unique. But then, what's bad about the game? Well, the only really bad point about Minecraft is that the graphics are not up to par with "modern" graphics. It's a builder game, everything in the game is designed on squares that you can stack on each other (again, like Legos) so it has its inherent limits. Plus, it's such a big game that adding too much graphically would mean that the game would crawl to an halt (especially since it was built on Java..!). But again, I don't care at all about graphics as long as the gameplay is there and they are practical enough for the game to be played correctly. And they are. So there, one of the best games I ever played.

Read the bolded part of your comments.  Now, assume your gentle reader is a person who is reasonably pleased with the way the video game industry has matured.  The conclusion is that he (in this case, me) only believes so b/c he is a brainwashed robot.

Now, walk up to someone and accuse them of being a Stepford [insert appropriate noun here] and see how they respond. 
I would not have put it this way but I guess it might be true in a way. But I would not say that I consider people who love the current modern evolution of gaming as brainwashed robots... Rather that the vast, vast, vast majority of those gamers (which are like this because they are only occasional gamers who don't know much about what they are talking about) always look for incredibly crisp graphics in a game before anything else. There is so many great games out there which are completely ignored simply because the end user look at the graphics and, because they are only slightly substandard or are not 3D or are not top of the line or whatever, completely dismiss the entire product. Usually with the line of thinking that "the graphics suck, the game also suck". Graphics can be a great selling point, but really... Is that all which matter in a game? I don't think so. But the average player do. What to do about this? Nothing much I guess.

So yeah, if you simply state that you like the current way gaming has evolved and don't bother expanding your explanation to what really make a game great other than its graphics it is very easy to be categorized as such I guess... But then, I have a saying roughly along those lines: if the hat fit you then wear it. If it doesn't... Then don't.

The reason that point was dismissed was b/c I pointed out a set of "mainstream" games that I said were quite good.  And, you responded by saying that I only thought so, not b/c I had actually played them, but b/c I was some sort of marionette.  To some extent, I'm skeptical that you would be able to convince me otherwise.  You'd have to make some general argument that quality of games now was worse than it was 10 years ago.  Given that my contention was that there are some great games out now, which I used to indicate that mainstreaming hadn't hurt at least one traditionally geek industries quality, you'd have to convince me that the games I thought were quite excellent over the past few years weren't.  That seems ... unlikely, and odds are laborious.  There might be some possible general argument to make, but I can't even imagine what shape it would take. 
I don't quite remember exactly this happening. You pointed me out a few games you thought were good, I dismissed them as otherwise from personal experience. And I don't remember you going out of your way (or much trying at all) to prove that those games were good too. I remember, for example, that you cited Civilization V as a great game which I shot down because the only real evolution of that game was its graphics and that I could not even navigate in it because I don't like the interface. It's not going to convince me the other way either, y'know.

But as far as mainstream is concerned, I am puzzled why I would need to even try to prove how harmful it can be for about anything. Just take a look around you. Electronics? Desks? Chairs? Cars? Phones? Appliances? Everything which went mainstream at one point or another simply dropped their quality almost exponentially and lost their main defining points to "blend in" or morph into something which can be sold to a greater audience or market. Like chairs... It seems nowaday that there is only a single template ever for computer chairs, and that template is a chair on wheels with an S in the back... But that damn S in the back hurt my back when I sit for too long in it... I've been trying to find a nice chair since ages now but I'm stuck with the same old chair because I simply can't... Appliances... Try to find an appliances which will last more than 10 years at best right now. Almost impossible, to tell the truth. Etc. I could go on and on but frankly I'm not really interested in turning this post into a market bash thread. Too tiring and depressing...

Offline Vasja

• I always edit posts just after posting.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 31, 2012, 02:33:05 AM »
But as far as mainstream is concerned, I am puzzled why I would need to even try to prove how harmful it can be for about anything. [...] Everything which went mainstream at one point or another simply dropped their quality almost exponentially and lost their main defining points to "blend in" or morph into something which can be sold to a greater audience or market.

Because not only is this patently untrue, it's also a significant misunderstanding on your part as to what factors actually affect the quality of products. While market disruption certainly happens and can affect quality, it depends heavily on the type of market.

You also have yet to provide any actual evidence that modern games suffered from mainstreaming. Everything is based on I don't like these new games, and not any analysis of how and why games are objectively worse, preferably with examples. Here's some of that:

Roguelikes

These games have advanced massively since gaming became mainstream. While Rogue, Hack, and Nethack were all great games, things have only improved. Besides cleaner interfaces and better support for a variety of systems, these games have advanced mechanically as well. Some, like Dwarf Fortress, mix the usual Roguelike dungeon-exploring nature with a world-building aspect and toy heavily with artificial intelligence, inspiring wonderful stories and art. Others, like Dungeons of Dredmor, embrace the humor of games like NetHack to provide the same fun experience the older games provided. Further still, games like Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup embrace the challenging and deadly nature of Roguelikes along with the 'crawl' aspect. These games expand upon the class systems and basic mechanics of Rogue to provide a ridiculously in-depth dungeon crawl with a huge assortment on environments.

To say Roguelikes declined since mainstreaming is objectively untrue.

First-Person Shooters

Ah, shooters. Much-maligned today for being completely linear, lacking variety, and being completely unimaginative, shooters today actually haven't fallen that far from their origins. Early shooters were extremely basic - the iconic Doom and Wolfenstein had basically no plot, relatively linear level design, and no features. Not a strike against them, considering they were present in the heyday of games, but something to note.

Soon, shooters were adding story to the mix. Early games like Marathon and System Shock took the first big steps in this direction, and the famous Half-life was soon to follow. The mainstreaming of gaming had already begun, yet games with strong stories and innovative (at the time) gameplay were still coming - Perfect Dark, Half-Life 2, Counterstrike. Even in these days of bland, faceless protagonists and extremely linear gameplay, this genre is still innovating. Arx Fatalis blended the first-person shooter with the fantasy RPG, and Metroid Prime with the platformer. Postal was a return to the mindless insanity of Doom and Duke Nukem, while Savage mixed with the RTS genre and Bioshock cemented the idea that even first-person shooters could be non-linear and have a phenomenal storyline to boot. The Half-Life 2 series contrinued, and paved the way for Portal, now even throwing puzzle games into the mix. STALKER gave people an open world.

Clearly, mainstreaming has certainly thrown a hell of a lot of noise into the fray. For every Half-life 2 there's a half-dozen "Call of Duty"s. But to say that strong shooters don't exist, shooters that push the bounds of the genre while keeping the strong elements of old, is silly. This doesn't even begin to mention the dozens of indie games that pay homage to or even copy almost every type of FPS I listed thus far.

It's one thing to say "I don't like FPSes today". It's another to say "The FPSes of old were better, but mainstreaming has killed them." They weren't, but in either case, they still exist.

I've been trying to find a nice chair since ages now but I'm stuck with the same old chair because I simply can't.

Seriously if you can't find a quality office chair you're not fucking trying. 'S', no S, executive, not executive - whatever the hell you want. If you can't find one now, you still wouldn't have found one before 'office chairs' we mainstream. Get a chair custom-made if you need one so badly.

I'd rather not address your list of 'other things that are crappier now than they were before they went mainstream. It's absolute bullshit. (Let's not mention how cars pretty much wouldn't exist without 'mainstreaming'. Or how mainstreaming is the only reason your computer fits in your palm instead of taking up your basement and half of the first floor of your house. Or how quality desks and chairs are still being hand-made for reasonable prices and resonably good ones are being mass-produced for ridiculously low prices.)

Offline Unbeliever

• Legendary Member
  • gentleman gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2013, 11:13:27 AM »
I think Vasja adequately expressed my point.  Thanks.  If you can't see Bioshock, Far Cry 3, and so on as evolutions of the shooting genre or realize that God of War > Double Dragon, well ...  One nice thing about "mainstreaming" of video games, for instance, has been some truly beautiful and inspired art direction.  Note that I didn't say "graphics," so don't jump back on that.  Please. 

Shifting gears from this long digression, it occurred to me, though, that while I think we're living in a nice period of video games and for television (less so for movies, it seems, for some reason), I'm not getting that feeling with RPGs.  Now, it may just be that the biggest market force -- D&D -- has pretty much left me behind with the advent of 4E.  And, there also might be something to the fact that relatively creative and geeky people are being siphoned off by other hobbies, such as the aforementioned video games. 

But, I do think there's something in the RPG market.  RPGs are, by their nature, collective enterprises.  You need 3+ people to be willing and able to set aside several hours on end.  So, while there may be a lot of nice indie RPGs popping up (more on that in a second),* there is still a big problem:  if everyone in town is into or knows a different RPG, well, it can be hard to coordinate.  And, this is exacerbated by the high start-up costs of RPGs -- learning a new system, planning a new campaign, making characters, and so on.  In all fairness, I should note that I'm also quite picky about my games, I look for people compatible with what I'm looking for in a game. 

Several years ago, when 3E D&D was dominant, it was probably easier to find gamers.  Now, the market and the hobby is more fragmented.  In that regard, some kind of mainstreaming, just b/c it would increase the population, thereby increasing the likelihood that you would find compatible gamers. 

*One other thing that occurs to me as I've dipped my toe in some non-D&D games lately is that a lot of games don't prioritize ease of running and play.  For instance, I am intrigued by ORE (Wild Talents, Godlike, Reign, etc.), but the game has a lot of issues to it.  Its character creation system is pretty opaque and hand-waivey -- it took 2 experienced gamers who had played the system before and who are both doctors (in different fields) a lot of work to craft a relatively straightforward power) -- and it has nothing so easy to use as a monster manual.  So, you have to craft all of your individual villains/rivals/NPCs like they are beautiful unique snowflakes.  M&M has the same problem, and when I had more time I used to love just creating characters in M&M, but all that gets to pain in the ass levels really quickly.  In addition, these games, and a lot of smaller ones, have a pretty tight conception of their game world or the type of game they want you to be playing, which I find limiting and also increased start-up costs:  "here, read all this fluff before you even think about making a character!"

The fact that a lot of games are arduous to run, mostly b/c of the antagonists and unpolished rules issues, keeps me from playing them, even if I think they are cool.  I don't know what that says about mainstreaming.  Maybe if the hobby gets a little larger then there can be more attention paid to making things more user-friendly, something RPGs are notoriously bad at?  That might just be wishful thinking, but I hope game designers start paying more attention to it.