Author Topic: Fun Finds v4.0  (Read 328174 times)

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
Re: Fun Finds v4.0
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2013, 03:01:29 PM »

Cover your fortress in ivy, so it's not vulnerable to Disintegrate?
Oh, that's just dirty!  The wizard wastes his disintegrate because it only disintegrates a 10-foot patch of ivy vines...

Even better:
"When used against an object, the ray simply disintegrates as much as one 10-foot cube of nonliving matter."
If plants are still considered 'living' even though they're objects, they're totally immune to Disintegrate.
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline ksbsnowowl

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Warrior Skald, teller of tales.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2013, 03:08:45 PM »
Okay, so Plant Growth is a great spell.  The PC's still have to hack through it.
Speed drops to 5 feet, or 10 feet for Large or larger creatures.

Offline Prime32

• Over-Underling
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2013, 03:45:05 PM »

Cover your fortress in ivy, so it's not vulnerable to Disintegrate?
Oh, that's just dirty!  The wizard wastes his disintegrate because it only disintegrates a 10-foot patch of ivy vines...

Even better:
"When used against an object, the ray simply disintegrates as much as one 10-foot cube of nonliving matter."
If plants are still considered 'living' even though they're objects, they're totally immune to Disintegrate.
Or just build the whole thing out of livewood, casting hardness and/or ironwood as required.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 03:46:45 PM by Prime32 »

Offline ksbsnowowl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2013, 03:51:06 PM »
Or just build the whole thing out of livewood, casting hardness and/or ironwood as required.
I was just about to suggest this.

I now have a RAW method by which to make the walls and doors of the Labyrith of Madness immune to disintergrate...

Now, is there any method by which to make stone or metal "alive"?  Didn't I just see mentioned in the last day or two something about living metal from Magic of Faerun that would heal itself 1 point of damage per minute or somesuch?

Edit: Found it:
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 03:52:45 PM by ksbsnowowl »

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2013, 01:20:03 PM »
probably old hat, but i just had this brought to my notice again recently: lawful good assassins.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2013, 04:52:33 PM »
 :D ... and 21 spells known if you do it wrong.
 ;)
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline jojolagger

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2013, 08:05:24 PM »
Even better:
This is glorious.  for bonus points, makes the ivy invisible, so disintegrate seems to be stopped by the stone (
or metal) wall.
Out of net access for a bit. Should be back late monday.

Offline ksbsnowowl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2013, 10:39:32 PM »
Even better:
This is glorious.  for bonus points, makes the ivy invisible, so disintegrate seems to be stopped by the stone (
or metal) wall.
Invisible Spell Plant Growth?

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2013, 11:26:35 PM »
Even better:
or metal) wall.
Invisible Spell Plant Growth?

just use the transparency option for walls out of SBG on the ivy or living wood.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2013, 05:51:26 PM »
Not so much a fun find as random trivia, but there are only 18 fine-sized creatures, only five of them aren't a swarm, and the entire abilities of two of them are about latching to other things. And two of them are the same creature.

What I do to know is why they have two different versions of the Hairy Spider. :huh

On a more relevant note: does the ivy actually count as a wall, so you can make it transparent?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 12:10:25 PM by Raineh Daze »

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2013, 10:55:39 PM »
The hairy spider and hengeyokai are the only playable Fine races (excluding class features)
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2013, 11:18:54 AM »
The hairy spider and hengeyokai are the only playable Fine races (excluding class features)

and i'm quite throughly enjoying my sparrow hengeyokai with access to minor shape change, wildshaping, master of many forms (v3.5) and warshaper, thank you. =D

and not a single level of druid or wildshaping ranger to be seen.  :D

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2013, 12:10:52 PM »
This was not counting PF or Dragon stuff because I cannot easily search them by size of creature.

Offline Rebel7284

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2013, 12:58:07 PM »
This was not counting PF or Dragon stuff because I cannot easily search them by size of creature.

Out of curiosity, how did you search all other sources easily?  OCR + PDF+Control-F+Manually skipping every size table?

Offline Prime32

• Over-Underling
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2013, 07:41:29 PM »
Forest eyes and forest voice (Complete Champion) are lv3 versions of transport via plants, which let you see or speak through the plant instead of going there. Livewood never runs out of uses, does it? Could also be useful if you've got some unique type of plant.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2013, 07:47:09 PM »
probably old hat, but i just had this brought to my notice again recently: lawful good assassins.

2nd take ... this is the same problem a Paladin Of X has.
It's just a refluff ; they didn't need a whole 'nother class.

Chaos Monks in China take over areas during End Of Dynasty problems.
Lawful Barbarians erupt out of the Desert, bringing encyclopedic hadiths.
etc
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2013, 08:07:58 PM »

Out of curiosity, how did you search all other sources easily?  OCR + PDF+Control-F+Manually skipping every size table?

WotC has a tool on their site that lets you search... pretty much everything (feat, class, monster) listed in an official sourcebook. This is the result for fine.

Offline Forumowicz

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2013, 03:50:12 PM »
After trying to figure out what are the statistics (by RAW) for a Livewood (I am not sure if it gives any advantages but it's still cool) small tree growing in someone's garden awakened with an Intiensified Awaken (27th level Incantatrix would be best), here's what I got:
- A small Plant with all the plant goodies and 1 HD, which is swappable for a character level thanks to Savage Species rule.
- It is treated as an object:
Note that regular plants, such as one finds growing in gardens and fields, lack Wisdom and Charisma scores (see Nonabilities, above) and are not creatures, but objects, even though they are alive.
An awakened tree has characteristics as if it were an animated object, except that it gains the plant type and its Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores are each 3d6.
- I don't see anything in the second quote that would trump the first quote's "are not creatures, but objects, even though they are alive".
- Also by RAW the tree should get construct traits as they are simply mentioned as a Special Quality of Animated Objects. Quote two specifically mentions the only exceptions being plant type and mental ability scores.
- We are looking at some serious immunities here (note that objects have hardness, recieve half damage from ranged attacks, have certain energy damage reductions and can be healed by the usage of craft skill). The most serious drawback is automatically failing all saving throws, unless one can manage to make the tree magical.
- All its mental ability scores receive a base of 36, which is even better than PAOing into a black ethergaunt or Sarrukh. Also, do not forget the awesome +2 dex!

If you can get the tree magical and somehow managing to play it (mind switch + astral seed?), it would be one awesome little tree. Now you can start picking those monk levels.

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2013, 04:01:05 PM »
After trying to figure out what are the statistics (by RAW) for a Livewood (I am not sure if it gives any advantages but it's still cool) small tree growing in someone's garden awakened with an Intiensified Awaken (27th level Incantatrix would be best), here's what I got:
- A small Plant with all the plant goodies and 1 HD, which is swappable for a character level thanks to Savage Species rule.
- It is treated as an object:
Note that regular plants, such as one finds growing in gardens and fields, lack Wisdom and Charisma scores (see Nonabilities, above) and are not creatures, but objects, even though they are alive.
An awakened tree has characteristics as if it were an animated object, except that it gains the plant type and its Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores are each 3d6.
- I don't see anything in the second quote that would trump the first quote's "are not creatures, but objects, even though they are alive".
- Also by RAW the tree should get construct traits as they are simply mentioned as a Special Quality of Animated Objects. Quote two specifically mentions the only exceptions being plant type and mental ability scores.
- We are looking at some serious immunities here (note that objects have hardness, recieve half damage from ranged attacks, have certain energy damage reductions and can be healed by the usage of craft skill). The most serious drawback is automatically failing all saving throws, unless one can manage to make the tree magical.
- All its mental ability scores receive a base of 36, which is even better than PAOing into a black ethergaunt or Sarrukh. Also, do not forget the awesome +2 dex!

If you can get the tree magical and somehow managing to play it (mind switch + astral seed?), it would be one awesome little tree. Now you can start picking those monk levels.

If an Awakened Tree has characteristics as if it were an Animated Object, then it's a creature because Animated Objects are creatures.
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2013, 04:04:20 PM »
Also, awakened trees are no longer regular plants.