Author Topic: Resounding Blow and fear immunity  (Read 1564 times)

Offline Ryshin

• Spellguard of Silverymoon
    • View Profile
Resounding Blow and fear immunity
« on: February 23, 2018, 08:33:08 PM »
Hello, does the feat Resounding Blow works to cower opponents when the intimidate check from intimidating rage or swift demoralization doesn't? Like against paladins with aura of courage for example.

I'm making an intimidate based character with imperious command plus rage feat route with Zentharim soldier and Champion of Gwynharwyf and i'm looking for a way to incapacitate opponents with fear immunity because i'm sure after 2-3 fights my DM will make me encounter lots of enemies with fear immunity so i need a way to bypass it and i found the Resounding Blow feat that make an enemy cower after a critical hit without an intimidation check but instead with a Will save, and in the description it doesn't say the effect it's a mind affecting one like dreadful wrath for example.

If Resounding Blow doesn't bypass fear immunity can you suggest me other methods to incapacitate enemies? I can change a couple of feats (plus the one used for Resounding Blow) if needed.
Thanks

Resounding Blow
( Book of Exalted Deeds, p. 45)

[Fighter Bonus Feat, General]

Your mightiest attacks cause your foes to tremble before you.

Prerequisite
Power Attack (PH) , Intimidate 7 ranks, STR 13,

Required for
Quell the Profane (BoED) ,

Benefit
Whenever you deal a critical hit using a melee weapon with which you are proficient, your opponent must succeed on a Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 your character level + your Cha modifier) or cower for 1 round. A monk's unarmed strike is considered a melee weapon for purposes of this feat.

Special
A fighter may select Resounding Blow as one of her fighter bonus feats.
I didn't choose the min/max life, the min/max life chose me.

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • 50% Cripple, 50% Awesome. Flip a coin.
    • View Profile
Re: Resounding Blow and fear immunity
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 01:53:00 AM »
It's not a fear effect, so you should be fine?

Even the fluff doesn't say they are trembling in fear (just trembling in general), so you can even fluff it as something akin to shellshock. It's even called RESOUNDING blow.

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
Re: Resounding Blow and fear immunity
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 03:53:08 AM »
Agreed.  "Cowering" isn't necessarily a fear effect, see Turn Undead. 

That being said, I think a DM would be justified in ruling that it would not bypass immunity to mind affecting effects.
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.