Author Topic: Be the Friendliest Host! (3.5 base class)  (Read 9540 times)

Offline Chaos_Blade

• Lurker
  • I've heard those words before.
    • View Profile
Re: Be the Friendliest Host! (3.5 base class)
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2017, 06:01:26 PM »
I'm liking the way the mechanics are being adjusted, and still look forward to the Symbiote Seeds. Beyond that I also wonder the following ; Will your natural weapons scale with such a thing, and will it only be possible to get free NATURAL weapons, or will you be able to form more standard weapons with a Seed out of spirit-energy or what have you? My main reason for asking is I'm wondering if at some point you'll be able to get Ghost Touch both ways / either way, so that you can, say, be a natural weapon fighter but still killify ghosties.

Edit : Does the Assumption turn counter start the turn you activate it (Meaning at level one with a standard action being used you're effectively wasting that first turn of it) or does the coutndown not start until you get a full turn to actually do things in the form? With Barbarians it starts the turn you turn rage on, but Barbarians also get to do it as a Free Action.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 06:10:00 PM by Chaos_Blade »

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2017, 10:30:04 AM »
Concordant Aura active even during Assumption?  I can't think of anything else that would build off of existing abilities.
Huh, that makes sense. OK, I'll do that. Nice.

I'm liking the way the mechanics are being adjusted, and still look forward to the Symbiote Seeds. Beyond that I also wonder the following ; Will your natural weapons scale with such a thing, and will it only be possible to get free NATURAL weapons, or will you be able to form more standard weapons with a Seed out of spirit-energy or what have you? My main reason for asking is I'm wondering if at some point you'll be able to get Ghost Touch both ways / either way, so that you can, say, be a natural weapon fighter but still killify ghosties.
Even if you don't get Ghost Touch on natural weapons specifically, there are ways to get such a thing (Necklace of Natural Attacks, for example).

Edit : Does the Assumption turn counter start the turn you activate it (Meaning at level one with a standard action being used you're effectively wasting that first turn of it) or does the coutndown not start until you get a full turn to actually do things in the form? With Barbarians it starts the turn you turn rage on, but Barbarians also get to do it as a Free Action.
I had intended the timer to start as soon as you use it, so that you can take advantage of any defensive or other passive benefits while waiting to be able to act. And anyway you only have to wait til Lvl7 to get move action activation.
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline Chaos_Blade

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2017, 11:11:51 PM »
Yeah, y'know, will I be able to form a weapon or size one up while transformed and basically pull this kind of thing off?

Edit: That is to say, would I be abble to grow in size along with some of my gear and be a bestial creature clad in armor wrecking other things? Say I wanted to whomp the Tarrasque 1V1 while my party ran away as effectively a sacrifice, could I keep my armor bonus while being gigantic to fight it / semi-realistically keep its attention RPly?

EDIT 2 : PArasitic Shock mentions a suppression in the end but the suppression from activating the ability has been removed. Might want to fix that.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 02:12:18 AM by Chaos_Blade »

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2017, 01:17:07 PM »
Posted the first 2/3 of the first Symbiote Seed. I planned to do more but I'm off my ADHD meds at the moment. I'll post more tonight or tomorrow.

Offline Chaos_Blade

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2017, 01:59:56 PM »
Looks good ; my only concern / question of what I see so far is this - what happens if you activate your Assumtpion with a high-tier Monstrosity Seed in an area too small for you to grow? Or, rather ; are you able to choose NOT to grow past a certain size tier?

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2017, 02:14:27 PM »
Looks good ; my only concern / question of what I see so far is this - what happens if you activate your Assumtpion with a high-tier Monstrosity Seed in an area too small for you to grow? Or, rather ; are you able to choose NOT to grow past a certain size tier?
Should probably use the same text there as in Enlarge Person. You grow as big as you can, with the chance to burst your enclosure.

Offline Chaos_Blade

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2017, 02:31:21 PM »
Should probably use the same text there as in Enlarge Person. You grow as big as you can, with the chance to burst your enclosure.
Fair enough ; personally I'd prefer just straight the option at entering the Assumption to only grow so large / only grow so much / not grow at all.  Though that's just because I'd like to treat growth as a tactical choice rather than something that happens no matter what.

Edit : Maybe make it so that you get the choice at the start of the Assumption and to change your mind costs turns of the transformation? Say I decide I want to grow to large at first, and then - tired of being grappled by the monkeyshark or what have you - grow to Huge to be TOO BIG FOR MORTAL HANDS TO RESTRAIN, burning an extra turn of the transformation.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 02:35:13 PM by Chaos_Blade »

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2017, 11:06:23 AM »
Fair enough ; personally I'd prefer just straight the option at entering the Assumption to only grow so large / only grow so much / not grow at all.  Though that's just because I'd like to treat growth as a tactical choice rather than something that happens no matter what.

Edit : Maybe make it so that you get the choice at the start of the Assumption and to change your mind costs turns of the transformation? Say I decide I want to grow to large at first, and then - tired of being grappled by the monkeyshark or what have you - grow to Huge to be TOO BIG FOR MORTAL HANDS TO RESTRAIN, burning an extra turn of the transformation.
That sounds like a feat to me :D

Any ideas for the last two tiers for that one? I'm working on the next one to post.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2017, 01:31:53 PM »
Posted Tier 0 & I for the next seed - I have more figured out that I haven't written up yet, but I wanted to tantalize. Lol.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2017, 03:48:51 PM »
Added 3 more tiers to Nevoan Seed, and also scaled back most of the ability bonuses, since the way I designed the progression stacking would have made them completely ridiculous as-is. (Even the way it is now, it's probably too much, honestly...)

Offline Chaos_Blade

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2017, 04:19:15 PM »
I think the stat buffs are fine, though that's only because the class defaults to 3/4 BAB.

The abilities all look pretty cool so far!

If I were a truly capable class designer I'd have more info for you regarding these things ; as it stands I just generally don't know really what to say for additional abilities.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2017, 04:26:03 PM »
I'll need to see more seeds before I can start giving input on ideas for abilities.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2017, 09:21:10 PM »
Added 3 more tiers to Nevoan Seed, and also scaled back most of the ability bonuses, since the way I designed the progression stacking would have made them completely ridiculous as-is. (Even the way it is now, it's probably too much, honestly...)

The cubic scaling definitely can get out of hand if you're not very careful.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2017, 09:35:43 PM »

The cubic scaling definitely can get out of hand if you're not very careful.
I think I'll need to have at least 6 done so we can gauge the interactions with a full set, and then we can tweak the numbers so they don't overwhelm.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2017, 07:54:58 AM »
Finished Nevoan completely, and also came up with standardized ability bonus progressions I'm (mostly) happy with.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2017, 01:08:29 PM »
Added the Zraal seed. 20% done! :D

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2017, 03:23:41 PM »
Things look interesting so far.  I've got a few minor suggestions but won't do a large analysis until you feel we've got enough of a data set to work with (which you already stated would be 6).