Author Topic: Alignment Rules (D&D 3.5)  (Read 31705 times)

Offline Bozwevial

• Epic Member
  • Developing a relaxed attitude toward danger
    • View Profile
Re: Alignment Rules (D&D 3.5)
« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2011, 10:28:11 PM »
I think they included it specifically to head off arguments just like this one.
The idea of good-aligned undead is not exactly new, though. Forgotten Realms didn't feel the need to invent an entirely new creature type when they brought in the baelnorns, and I really don't see why one is needed here.

If your campaign setting has negative energy as a force that is inherently evil, that's cool. Throw out Deathless and write exceptions into the statblocks for the key mechanical differences.

If instead negative energy is just a thing like fire, you still don't need Deathless. The creation process, empowering energy, and reaction to turn/rebuke varies, but otherwise an undead is an undead is an undead, which is to say, a creature that died and then was animated via some external supernatural force, whether that's positive energy or negative energy or the root pulp someone fed them.

Homebrew Compendiums: D&D 3.5 4e/PF
IRC: #mmxgeneral on Rizon

Offline radionausea

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2011, 07:30:12 AM »
Make up your mind. You had just said he would be neutral if he ate babies, and the good god would give thumbs up by keeping to grant him powers.

S/He didn't say that.  They said in his rules/system they would be neutral but under Eberron's alignment system the cleric would be chaotic evil. 

Operating under the idea that the gods are either :
distant well-springs of power,
non-existent in which case faith alone empowers divine spells [pretty much a fantasy staple],
that the gods don't give a shit,
or that as they're non-temporal they can't act.

that makes sense.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 07:33:00 AM by radionausea »
Something inside me dies when I see the word fallacy applied to ideas held about roleplaying. And a small bit of vomit comes up when I see a character called a 'toon'.

Offline Prime32

• Over-Underling
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 02, 2011, 09:11:14 AM »
And I didn't say that all gods would allow it to happen, just the effects if it did happen. I imagine that heroic characters making deals with evil gods would show up more than the reverse.

If the gods of evil are willing to perform reasonable arguments for the greater good, how can you call them gods of evil?

Because otherwise, the heroes will get screwed out of the deal and will turn more to the evil side because they knew the mess they were geting themselves into.
...and that's entirely the point. Evil gods give power to great heroes, hoping that it will corrupt them into great villains.

An ur-priest is one example of someone who gets spells from a god without the god having a say in it - in this system, ur-priests who steal power from Good gods would be Good.

Offline The_Laughing_Man

• 笑い男
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 04, 2011, 05:27:17 PM »
Alignment change due to casting evil spells do have a mechanical aspect as well. Paraphrased from here (yeah, I know that thread was really something..).

BoVD p.8, p.77
E.g. Committing evil acts like casting evil spells (e.g. animate dead) will affect your alignment. Few evil spells you can get away with but eventually the alignment change happens.

DMG p.134
It takes one week to change your alignment.

I suppose the exact amount of evil acts depends on the DM. Spamming e.g. Protection from good for a week would suffice imo.  :rolleyes

(click to show/hide)

Offline 123456789blaaa

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Not very active here but still active online
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 05, 2011, 10:30:41 AM »
[quoteAlignment change due to casting evil spells do have a mechanical aspect as well. Paraphrased from here (yeah, I know that thread was really something..).

BoVD p.8, p.77
E.g. Committing evil acts like casting evil spells (e.g. animate dead) will affect your alignment. Few evil spells you can get away with but eventually the alignment change happens.

DMG p.134
It takes one week to change your alignment.

I suppose the exact amount of evil acts depends on the DM. Spamming e.g. Protection from good for a week would suffice imo.][/quote]

yes this is true but who is this post directed to?
Please, call me Count :).

Offline The_Laughing_Man

• 笑い男
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 05, 2011, 05:04:50 PM »
@123456789blaaa:

Well, several posters here referred to alignment change due to casting [evil] spells. And I noticed that this piece of info was missing from the discussion. So I posted it. Perhaps the OP was referring to this as well, idk.