Author Topic: Speedster AoE Damage Options [3.x/PF/3P]  (Read 1084 times)

Offline TC X0 Lt 0X

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • The TC Storywriter
    • View Profile
Speedster AoE Damage Options [3.x/PF/3P]
« on: February 26, 2020, 05:47:40 AM »
So I am looking to make a Speedster build, and am looking for any options that allow for a character to deal damage when adjacent/close to the target passively, or otherwise as part of movement.

From what I have been able to gather, there is not a lot of obvious options. There is some of the stuff Chuck E Cheese build uses (though I am not trying for anything that absurd), like Ring of Fire. There is also Salamander Charge, but that is a bit on the late levels for some basic damage.
Most damage auras I have come across have a stipulation of triggering at the start of your turn or a targets turn, which does not work if I just want to run passed them. There are gaze attacks which I believe should work fine, but those are rare and a bit difficult to get as a PC.

Are there any other options out there that can be used?
Im really bad at what I do.
A+

Offline Keldar

• Legendary Member
  • What's this button do?
    • View Profile
Re: Speedster AoE Damage Options [3.x/PF/3P]
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2020, 06:33:51 PM »
Nothing comes to mind for passive or aura damage, but there are ways to do a drive by.  There may be some spells and maneuvers that leave damage patches in your wake though.

Binder has the vestige Paimon which gets to do drive bys once every 5 rounds, available at level 5, 3 with the Improved Binding feat.  I played this one in Red Hand of Doom.
A Monk with the Spring Attack feat chain and a high speed race could do things.
Complete Warrior has Dervish and dervish dance which could couple with one of the above.

Pathfinder has Warrior Poet Samurai, which can combine Spring Attack with Vital Strike for drive bys.
And here's a third party Pathfinder speedster AT.
DSP's Path of War might have something useful to a build with its Tome of Battle type stuff.