Author Topic: Digging a hole: Summon Monster edition  (Read 1966 times)

Offline LordBlades

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
Digging a hole: Summon Monster edition
« on: May 31, 2014, 11:31:10 AM »
I am looking into building an underground base for one of my characters in the not very distant future.
I want to build it below a populated area (her home village) and with no mundane entrances (only way in is via Teleportation magic). I'm thinking start digging a way off, make a tunnel underground toward the intended base location, build the base and then collapse the tunnel and cover up any trace of the initial the mundane entrance.

What I have at my disposal to get the job done: The char is a PF Summoner   brought in 3.5 with the following rulings: general mechanics work by 3.5 rules (so concentration,1 natural attack primary only, no CMB/CMD etc.), if a spell/ability has a 3.5 equivalent it uses the 3.5 rules (like Summon Monster), if not, it uses the PF version, updated only when needed. Currently level 7, but probably 9 or 10 before I get a chance to do this
What I get in abundance:
-Summon Monster (10 or so times per day, 10 or so minutes each summoning). I'm thinking something with burrow speed here to keep digging tunnels, but only burrow speed monster I can find are Earth Elementals, which specifically don't leave tunnels. Anything on the 3.5 Summon Monster list that's good at digging tunnels?
-Other Summoner spells, like Wall of Stone.
-Enough UMD to cast pretty much anything from any list. I'd rather keep the use of more powerful spells like Planar Binding to a minimum though.

So, how would you build an underground base with these resources?

Offline vaz

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
Re: Digging a hole: Summon Monster edition
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 07:56:54 AM »
The Celestial Badger leaves behind a tunnel, but can't manage stone, IIRC. Soften Earth and Stone spell might help with that though.

I'd hire some Kobolds. Not only can you use them to dig the tunnel, but you can use them to set up a Tucker's Kobold dungeon on the approach to the inside bit of your supersecret fortress. Kobolds have special rules for mining, in either the Draconomicon, or Races of the Dragon.

Offline Maat Mons

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
    • View Profile
Re: Digging a hole: Summon Monster edition
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 02:33:43 PM »
If you can get access to incorpereality and disintegrate, you can create a hollow with no initial mundane entrance to cover up.  After that, you can just teleport in, mine out some more space, load the waste material, and teleport out.