Author Topic: What's your experience with playing an ahead-of-the-curve casting Kobold Sor?  (Read 1813 times)

Offline Endarire

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Smile! Jesus loves you!
    • View Profile
    • Greg Campbell's Portfolio
Greetings, all!

What's your experience with playing an ahead-of-the-curve casting Kobold Sorcerer?  To clarify, I don't mean Pun-Pun or something with (nearly) infinite X due to loop use.  Instead, I mean a Kobold Sorcerer with the template White Dragonspawn (possibly with its level adjustment bought off) or/and Dragonwrought with the Loredrake Sovereign Archetype.  (Let's assume this Loredrake trick works for this thread.)  I also assume that the Greater Draconic Rite of Passage for +1 Sorcerer base caster level is available and used if the character reaches 6+ HD.

What was your build (spells, feats, PrCs, items, etc.)?  Who else (players, minions etc.) was in your party?  What was your adventure like?  What were the lows and highs?  What did your fellow players (including your GM) think of this character?  What other comments have you regarding this experience?

I ask because this build has been mentioned so many times online and I wanted player experiences to better understand its balance/power level and otherwise what to expect.

Thankee!

Offline Sleven

• Lurker
    • View Profile
The only time I did something like this I went all the way and gave it Riddled and Spellhoarding then used it to get into Cerebremancer and Mind Mage early without losing any caster levels (compared to a normal progression) while still achieving 9th level powers. I was as ridiculously powerful as expected, but it could still be challenged. I think the biggest problem was the sheer amount of action economy our party had at the time (a Body Outside Body + White Raven Tactics "support" character was in the mix). I think I used the Harden Energy + the one that knocks people on their asses combination of psiotheurgic feats.

I used to have a group that would allow stuff like this, but for the most part we avoided getting more than a level or two ahead in casting progression unless all of us were doing it (mainly due to the fact that whichever one of us was DMing would have to end up making the encounters pretty brutal for the rest of the group). We did sometimes play races with innate spellcasting abilities that got pretty far ahead of the curve (particularly with level draining away racial HD as part of our starting WBL). It worked out pretty well, but we were basically playing action economy chicken with nukes. I just wouldn't recommend any of this in your "typical" group. Most DMs I've encountered since coming back to the game aren't even capable of challenging competently played wizards and clerics with normal progressions.

In my experience it's fine to let sorcerers get ahead in their progression (at least so as to catch up to wizards).

Offline Endarire

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Smile! Jesus loves you!
    • View Profile
    • Greg Campbell's Portfolio
Sleven: What are your thoughts on GMing a campaign of a similar power level online, such as on Roll20?  What about GMing a solo campaign?

Thankee!