Author Topic: Videogame Discussion III - Snake Eater  (Read 236761 times)

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
Re: Videogame Discussion III - Snake Eater
« Reply #380 on: January 14, 2017, 01:56:46 AM »
Price: 299,99 bucks. Also online will be paid like PSN and XBL... :shakefist
Console price is okay, I guess. Shame about the online monthly subscription system though I doubt I'll be interested in a Nintendo online game anyway.
When Legend of Zelda BotW? LAUNCH TITLE
Neat.  :)

Fire Emblem Warriors: Dynasty Warriors+Fire Emblem  :love
Interesting! Hope they bring back characters from Fire Emblem 4 GotHW. Best one so far IMO. A remake/remastered version would be nice.

Shin Megami Tensei: Early in development
Always a good news. They tend to be good.

Disgaea 5
That's great! I loved that series though... I don't think I'll ever have time for another Disgaea. Time tends to get warped when you get too close to one of them and then that's how black holes are formed.  :sobbing Unless I can convince myself not to try to get everything down to perfection until a new game pries my attention off of it.

So far it seems I'll just borrow the console and Zelda off a friend or rent them and then forget about the Switch. It'll probably hinge on what they'll do with the Fire Emblem franchise.
The Switch gives me a better impression than everything they released after the cube. But that's me.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 01:58:45 AM by Anomander »

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #381 on: January 14, 2017, 05:49:36 AM »
Fire Emblem Warriors: Dynasty Warriors+Fire Emblem  :love
Interesting! Hope they bring back characters from Fire Emblem 4 GotHW. Best one so far IMO. A remake/remastered version would be nice.
+1 for a remake/remaster. I tried to play it, but couldn't stand the super dated graphics too long. Not a fan of some of the mechanic quirks like unable to swap weapons directly for free between units either, but I did love the "deploy everybody, multiple castles per map, final destination go!" part.

Speaking of which, Nintendo announced a Direct for 18 of January focused on Fire Emblem! Stay tuned! :D

Disgaea 5
That's great! I loved that series though... I don't think I'll ever have time for another Disgaea. Time tends to get warped when you get too close to one of them and then that's how black holes are formed.  :sobbing Unless I can convince myself not to try to get everything down to perfection until a new game pries my attention off of it.
Ah, but that's the main advantage of the Switch-as a portable, you can do your Disgaea grind while traveling or when you have to wait for somebody outside your home!  :p

Also if it sells well, the company may start bringing more of their games to the Switch, which would be awesome.

So far it seems I'll just borrow the console and Zelda off a friend or rent them and then forget about the Switch. It'll probably hinge on what they'll do with the Fire Emblem franchise.
The Switch gives me a better impression than everything they released after the cube. But that's me.
They did release some nice Fire Emblems for the gamecube and Wii, so hopefully they'll do so for the Switch too. Wii U ended up missing a lot of main franchises. I did defend that console, but the game drought ended up too much even from Nintendo's side. Really hoping they learned their lesson and can produce a nice flow of games.

Anyway Nintendo did a treehouse for Switch today showing bits of gameplay. I particularly recommend checking out at least the Zelda one. Two words: Horse Taming! Link is now a player and can jump at and ride any wild horse he finds, building up his private collection at stables.

Offline SolEiji

• Epic Member
  • I am 120% Eiji.
    • View Profile
    • D&D Wiki.org, not .com
« Reply #382 on: January 14, 2017, 06:10:07 AM »
Disgaea 5

I have Disgaea 5 on PS4.  I am pleased with it.  They always seem to stumble in various different ways, unable to recapture the original's magic.  Specifically with D2 which tried too hard.  But 5 feels pretty nice.  It's strange.  On paper, the characters are annoying and some of them started out such, but they grow on you quick.  The only complains I have is that the MC's plotline spins his tires on his plot for far too long (I get it, he's got a dark side, we don't need the Nth reminder it exists), but the second half of the game has some enjoyable character focused chapters which I think worked well.

Plus, SUPER OLYMIPAAAAAAAA!

8.5 Overloads out of Alma Ice Sculptures.
Mudada.

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
  • Trapped on another Earth that isn't home
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: January 14, 2017, 08:50:50 AM »

They did release some nice Fire Emblems for the gamecube and Wii, so hopefully they'll do so for the Switch too. Wii U ended up missing a lot of main franchises. I did defend that console, but the game drought ended up too much even from Nintendo's side. Really hoping they learned their lesson and can produce a nice flow of games.

That's what happens when a lot of the major publisher's wash their hands of your console, this time however it looks a lot better since Beth is going in from the start even if it is an older game.

the company initially listed 48 third-party publishers, studios, and middleware developers. Among these partners, Nintendo listed major publishers such as Activision, Bethesda, Electronic Arts, Sega, Square Enix, and Ubisoft.
Looks good then, however

Capcom, who was also announced as an initial third-party publisher for the Switch, stated that while they are committed to releasing titles for the Switch, they "do feel that there are differences in the desired direction and the play-style of the Nintendo Switch and those of the PlayStation 4 or Xbox One" and may not be releasing cross-platform games for the new console

I doubt I'll get one since I'm more than happy with my xbox one and the Nintendo Switch will unlikely have any exclusives that will make me want to buy it.  But it's good to see Nintendo bounce back like this.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: January 14, 2017, 10:13:13 AM »
How is Zelda not a good enough exclusive to buy it? :p

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
  • No obstacle too great for the FLAMES IN MY HEART!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: January 14, 2017, 10:34:07 AM »
Disgaea 5

I have Disgaea 5 on PS4.  I am pleased with it.  They always seem to stumble in various different ways, unable to recapture the original's magic.  Specifically with D2 which tried too hard.  But 5 feels pretty nice.  It's strange.  On paper, the characters are annoying and some of them started out such, but they grow on you quick.  The only complains I have is that the MC's plotline spins his tires on his plot for far too long (I get it, he's got a dark side, we don't need the Nth reminder it exists), but the second half of the game has some enjoyable character focused chapters which I think worked well.

Plus, SUPER OLYMIPAAAAAAAA!

8.5 Overloads out of Alma Ice Sculptures.

Don't forget SHINRA BANSHOU! (Because "Macrocosm" is a fucking stupid translation.)
Kami darou ga akuma darou ga, ore no michi ni tateru mono NASHI!!

Give me internets. Now.

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: January 14, 2017, 11:44:12 AM »
How is Zelda not a good enough exclusive to buy it? :p

I haven't played a zelda game since...the N64 i think.....

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: January 14, 2017, 12:41:02 PM »
Zelda, Mario, Fire Emblem Warriors.

To me there is no needing to think about it. This is well become massive 3rd party support in the future. But then I'm also some one who never owned a PS or xbox after the 1st gen ones.

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: January 14, 2017, 10:00:41 PM »

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: January 18, 2017, 12:28:53 AM »
+1 for a remake/remaster. I tried to play it, but couldn't stand the super dated graphics too long. Not a fan of some of the mechanic quirks like unable to swap weapons directly for free between units either, but I did love the "deploy everybody, multiple castles per map, final destination go!" part.
It was awesome! I liked how I didn't have to worry about my weapons breaking. I loved Thracia despite that new gameplay mechanic anyway but not as much.
Being able to make control the inherited abilities of the next generation of your army was great! (they took it again for Awakening). But the whole Blood of the ancient godly heroes made it even better.

Speaking of which, Nintendo announced a Direct for 18 of January focused on Fire Emblem! Stay tuned! :D
...Soon.

=====

I see! Would you say the store was better than Soul Nomad's? I remember liking it much.
D2 was barely okay by me. Needed Etna so save it.
D3 had its up and downs but I couldn't get it in my to like the main character.
D4... I forgot most of it. Not memorable.
Phantom Brave was so corny and boring I barely made it to the end.
Makai Wars was great. I loved the main character. But like the main character I found everyone else to be tedious and annoying to have around. ...now that I think about it, I think the MC of most of those games feel like that about the rest of the cast.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 01:10:09 AM by Anomander »

Offline Vladeshi

• Feel free to ignore me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: January 18, 2017, 02:42:07 AM »

I will always remember it for one reason.
The following explanation has been removed due to time constraints, character limits on posts, and the DC 30 Spellcraft checks to understand large portions of it.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
  • No obstacle too great for the FLAMES IN MY HEART!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: January 18, 2017, 01:09:13 PM »

ALL HAIL THE LOLIBOSS
Kami darou ga akuma darou ga, ore no michi ni tateru mono NASHI!!

Give me internets. Now.

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: January 18, 2017, 05:57:51 PM »
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-offers-metroid-mother-3-fans-a-glimmer-of/1100-6446941/ if they did release Mother 3.....then i would be all over it

This got me thinking about about an old SNES game,that they could remake SOS. For those who didn't play:

Mostly inspired by the book and film The Poseidon Adventure. The game is set in 1921, and the players must escape the sinking ship Lady Crithania, which gets hit by a gigantic wave and is capsized; all within the time limit of an hour. However, the game is made more difficult by the lack of a visible timer (although it is shown if the player injures himself, in which case he will lose five minutes) and the fact the ship rotates angles constantly and gradually gets filled with water.

The game features the possibility to play as four different characters, each one with the same gameplay control and same goal, but with a different story:

Capris Wisher An architect. This young man takes his younger sister Amy to the Lady Crithania. However, Amy's sickness becomes a severe hindrance to him.

Redwin Gardner A counselor, traveling with a family consisting of an unnamed mother, her children Stella and Harry Adams. Plus, Jack Hamilton, a nephew.

Jeffrey Howell A senior doctor, he travels along with his wife Adela.

Luke Haines A crewman of the Lady Crithania. He suspects that the sea conditions are too much for the Lady Crithania to handle, much to the opposition of his superiors.

Each character can take up to seven other survivors, some of which have different value to each character, and all of them have different requirements in how to get to them and how to make them follow the player. Depending on how many survivors the player finds, who they are and how valuable they are to the character the gamer plays as, the ending will vary. The best ending for each character is obtained by escaping the boiler room, the final area of the game, with their sentimental person (Amy for Capris, Harry, Stella and Jack for Redwin, Ismay for Luke, and Adela for Jeffrey) and over 25 "points" worth of survivors.

I would like a first person view,but that would change a lot of the dynamics,since this was what it looked liked back then :

but with today's graphics, I think it would look great either way.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #393 on: January 18, 2017, 09:30:58 PM »
Nintendo Direct Fire Emblem is up!

They start by telling us to expect more Fire Emblem based Directs. Great!

First out of nowhere, Fire Emblem Echoes, a "re-imagining" of Fire Emblem Gaiden for 3DS! That was definitely not expected, but looks pretty good with full modern graphics, main new feature will be the addition of dungeon crawling RGP-style where enemies you bump into turn classic FE battles.

Second Fire Emblem Switch is on the works, hopefully for 2018.

Third some footage of Fire Emblem Warriors, Chrom butchering a bunch of mooks with super sword moves as expected but no crunchy details besides coming for Fall 2017. Oh, also coming for New 3DS.

Then a quite detailed preview of Fire Emblem Mobile Heroes:
-Coming 2 February for android and later for apple devices.
-Free to play but you can spend money to get more items (more on that later).
-Plot seems to be "Super Fire Emblem Wars", aka the different FE universes colliding as an excuse to to throw characters from different games, plus some original heroes. Also the player's avatar appears to be a summoner who who dual wields guns that shoot FE characters.
-Gameplay wise you fight in tiny maps 8x6 maps that fully fit in your cellphone screen, only 4 units on each side. Movement is greatly reduced to keep up with the smaller maps, like normal guys only move 2 squares now. Focus is for short battles, although they promise a lot of different types of map terrains to increase the tactical challenge.
-To get new characters you need to either find them in the field and defeat them or spend elemental orbs to summon stuff at half-random (for example you can try to summon an agile sword character but then have equal chances of getting Olivia or Lon'qun). Also their starting level is random but they can earn exp and enjoy classic random level-ups.
-You can grind summoning orbs and upgrade items in-game or spend money for those as mentioned.
-If you chain summon characters one after the other you get a discount. Like first is 5 orbs, then the next three are four orbs each, then the fifth is only 3 orbs, assuming you do it in one sitting.
-No perma-death, killed characters just sit out of the battle they died on, although you still get dying sprites/cries.
-Weapons are now passive skills which upgrade in a line for each character. Like Lon'qun starts with Iron Sword then can "learn" steel sword followed by Killing Edge. Only one weapon per character.
-Supposed to be a single player campaign and battle tower and other stuff.
-Characters with brand new art and voices.

Wow, that's what, 4 FE games coming over the next couple years? Even the mobile one seems worth it for when you just feel like scratching your tactical itch.

So overall the Direct appears to be "We realized players love Fire Emblem and are ready to give them moar Fire Emblem.".

As an aside, Fire Emblem Echoes means that Improved Genealogy of the Holy War may not be that far behind since it appears Nintendo is remaking all of the originals by crhonological order. SSSQQQUUUUEEE!!!!

« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 09:43:58 PM by oslecamo »

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: January 18, 2017, 09:54:01 PM »
Ah, yes! That one was pretty cool. I think at the very end it was my strongest character. I had her more or less solo the land of Carnage. She had cool recolors.

Coming 2 February for android and later for apple devices.
I really hope it won't feel like that final fantasy mobile game. I got bored out of it after the first chapter.

As an aside, Fire Emblem Echoes means that Improved Genealogy of the Holy War may not be that far behind since it appears Nintendo is remaking all of the originals by crhonological order. SSSQQQUUUUEEE!!!!
:sobbing May it be so.
They already remade Marth's main games so I've been on edge for quite a while. But at the speed they're going now, who know?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 10:02:13 PM by Anomander »

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: January 18, 2017, 11:14:05 PM »
The only thing I worry about with FE Warriors is dlc support.

Yanno, like how the wiiu Hyrule Warriors practically got abandoned after launch in favor of the 3ds version.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: January 19, 2017, 04:58:25 PM »
Yanno, like how the wiiu Hyrule Warriors practically got abandoned after launch in favor of the 3ds version.
They didn't abandon it.

WiiU got four DLCs.
Master Quest: Master Quest adventure maps, new Epona weapon for Link, and Cia's story.
TP: Twilight adventure map, new Twili Midna character, and the new Dominion Rod weapon for Zelda.
MM: Termina adventure map, new Tingle and Young Link characters.
Boss Pack: new Gannon and Cucco characters.
Amiibo Unlock: Spinner weapon for Link.

The 3Ds version included 1~3 but not the 4th which is a Heroes exclusive. Then they both got new DLC.
Legends: Tetra, King Daphnes, Toon Link, Skull Kid, and Linkle & her story, plus Gannondorf's new Trident weapon.
LA: new Boots weapon for Linkle and new Marin character.
2DS: new Toon Zelda character and Sand Wand weapon for Toon Link.
LbW: new Ravio & Yuga characters.

Major game version differences is Challenge Mode for the WiiU and My Fairy for the 3DS. The minor differences is WiiU's lv4 weapons have a new skin but in the 3DS they reuse the same skin and are called "lv3+" and another large change is the layout/unlocks in adventure mode. Like instead of being auto-full unlock DLC status characters (ie buy young link and score is lv4 weapon from an amiibo on the same day), all the WiiU addons were sealed up and incorporated into the 3DS's adventure mode (ie unlock young link near the end, spend six months unlocking his lv4 weapon). And the rest is mostly in patches which are mostly game fixes but added some stuff. As the WiiU's version became a little more stable it's patches slowed down like every other game on the planet. Most of it's latest patches were for the later released DLC whereas most of Legend's patches were playing catch up to the WiiU. Like in 02-26-15 the WiiU had a lv250 cap but you couldn't exceed level 99 in Legends until almost three months after it's release and you still didn't have a 255 level cap until the third level-related patch on 10-31-16. So yeah, the new 3DS has been issued more patches here lately and it's not a surprise.

And My Fairy is kind of a "we're sorry" deal anyway, sort of like Legend's duel-element weapons to make up the missing 60ish weapon skins the WiiU has. Legends is one of those games where they had to trim a lot of corners and optimize the crap out of it to make it even possible to port downwards. One of the things that was cut is the 3DS only likes like twenty characters on screen at time time compare to the WiiU's 100+. Mechanically this made it a lot harder to hit kill levels needed for A ranks since an area attack barely adds anything. The My Fairy nuke is designed to hit unloaded character models and it hits a wider area on use since you'd normally be pretty limited in how often you can use it. The My Fairy Skills and masochistically grinding out those bonuses is kind of nice and definitely something over Heroes, but then again we'll probably never see Ganon/Cucco ported over.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 05:19:23 PM by SorO_Lost »

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: January 19, 2017, 07:57:18 PM »
I did kinda stop paying attention to it after the initial adventure maps which I had, but before the Legends stuff came around as that stuff was only available to the wiiu thru buying the entire game again and the dlc on the 3ds and transferring it to the wiiu. Like that was freakin nonsense. After that it's like everything else I saw related to Hyrule warriors was about the 3ds so..... :/

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: January 19, 2017, 09:25:05 PM »
only available to the wiiu thru buying the entire game again and the dlc on the 3ds and transferring it to the wiiu.
Huh? Season pass is $9.99 for WiiU only, you don't have to buy HWL or it's DLCs at all...

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: January 19, 2017, 11:04:43 PM »
Definitely sure that wasn't available back them :(

Well OK.