Author Topic: Videogame Discussion III - Snake Eater  (Read 237714 times)

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
Re: Videogame Discussion III - Snake Eater
« Reply #420 on: March 05, 2017, 07:22:55 PM »
I should get a Switch on summer, sadly not in the position to get one right now.

Pretty much all review sites have been handing top scores to Zelda Breath of the Wild. Like 10/10 and 98/100. Breath of the Wild is in the top three best reviewed games for as long as review scores have been tracked. The game seems to live up to the hype.

Gamestop says switch is the strongest console launch in years.

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
  • Trapped on another Earth that isn't home
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: March 06, 2017, 03:58:31 PM »

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: March 06, 2017, 08:13:05 PM »
Yeah, blame the 3DS hackers, which blame Nintendo, which blame Galoob, which blame Nintendo, etc.

Basically Nintendo hates modders and thinks they, and only they know what's good for you. Too busy in real to grind ten billion BotW ingredients? Screw you, you're paying for the BotW experience not a game. >.>

The last few 3DS patches have really stepped up in trying to prevent users from executing "Homebrew", a custom operating system that allows 3DS users to edit save files and play unofficial or modded games (and yes roms too). However how the exploit it's self works it by loading a edited save file that invokes a memory changes in system-related areas, this can only be done off of games that were given access to those areas (there is like 6 or 7 of them). And the tricky part is you need a psychical copy of the game to first edit it's save file, all downloaded games use a unique save encryption tried to the device for a cache 22 of needing root access to know the key to edit those saves. As a result, the primary weakness of Nintendo's security is it's physical save files.

The deva team probably kick the product out the door thinking no access is the best access without any care or concern for user end console transfers for damage or stolen products. I hope the hell someone cracks the system by tomorrow morning and includes a way to prevent it from updating. I really can't stand Nintendo's stance on things.

Offline Kethrian

• Legendary Member
  • Night Owl
    • View Profile
What do I win?
An awesome-five for mentioning Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: March 14, 2017, 09:20:31 AM »
Sony admits the PS4 and the pro are both peasant wastes of money and will just let people play their latest games on the superior PC.

Nintendo now stands alone as the last console manufacturer with exclusives since Xbox games already had moved to windows as well.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 09:22:02 AM by oslecamo »

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #425 on: March 14, 2017, 05:40:49 PM »
Sony admits the PS4 and the pro are both peasant wastes of money and will just let people play their latest games on the superior PC.

Nintendo now stands alone as the last console manufacturer with exclusives since Xbox games already had moved to windows as well.

*sighs with relief*

It's always been a dream of mine that consoles finally come to an end and PC reigns supreme, even though i hold a fair amount of love and nostalgia for consoles of past.

I still think it will take a very long time for PC to really become the one and only true ruler of all, but still do think it will happen eventually.

"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline Kethrian

• Legendary Member
  • Night Owl
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: March 14, 2017, 09:50:21 PM »
It's really more that Sony will continue to make consoles (you don't see M$ giving up on the XBone, do you?) and also get extra revenue from selling games on PC too, through a monthly fee service that's pure software, so it's mostly profits.  But it also means that, if the trial run is successful, all those Souls people on PC will finally, possibly have a chance at getting Bloodborne.  And hey, if you wanna cough up $20 a month to play Sony's exclusives on your computer instead of buying a console, I'm sure Sony will be fine with that.  They don't have to sell you a console at or below cost, and can just rake in the cash.
What do I win?
An awesome-five for mentioning Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness.

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #427 on: March 14, 2017, 10:38:14 PM »
It's really more that Sony will continue to make consoles (you don't see M$ giving up on the XBone, do you?) and also get extra revenue from selling games on PC too, through a monthly fee service that's pure software, so it's mostly profits.  But it also means that, if the trial run is successful, all those Souls people on PC will finally, possibly have a chance at getting Bloodborne.  And hey, if you wanna cough up $20 a month to play Sony's exclusives on your computer instead of buying a console, I'm sure Sony will be fine with that.  They don't have to sell you a console at or below cost, and can just rake in the cash.

I guess so. I'm just hoping for an Utopia.
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: March 15, 2017, 11:43:24 AM »
I'll be happy when more Playstation games show up on Steam.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: March 15, 2017, 01:03:39 PM »
It's really more that Sony will continue to make consoles (you don't see M$ giving up on the XBone, do you?)

and also get extra revenue from selling games on PC too, through a monthly fee service that's pure software, so it's mostly profits.  But it also means that, if the trial run is successful, all those Souls people on PC will finally, possibly have a chance at getting Bloodborne.  And hey, if you wanna cough up $20 a month to play Sony's exclusives on your computer instead of buying a console, I'm sure Sony will be fine with that.  They don't have to sell you a console at or below cost, and can just rake in the cash.
Indeed, everybody wins when consumers aren't being forced to buy what's by now nothing more than glorified locked PCs!

Yatzhee predicted it a few years ago, Microsoft and Sony are both racing to make their consoles obsolete. And that's a good thing when you think about it because there's no real advantage to the PS4/Xbone anymore.

Nintendo still rocking in the portable gaming devices area though.

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: March 15, 2017, 01:30:57 PM »
And that's a good thing when you think about it because there's no real advantage to the PS4/Xbone anymore.

yeah only having to pay one price once instead of bit by bit to keep updated isn't an advantage...oh wait.....also not being able to play split screen...wait....

did Rock Band 4 come out for PC?

FYI: my pc that I just bought back in Oct, needs to have it's Mobo and it's Processor switched out to play stuff that just came out, luckily i made sure to get a G-force 1060,which will still be good for awhile, also need to get more RAM.

God,i just wished the arrogant attitudes would disappear.......can we get something that does that?

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: March 15, 2017, 03:08:56 PM »
You could, of course, enjoy the massive back catalogue that doesn't magically disappear every time a console update happens instead of chasing the bleeding edge - or just turn the settings down a bit. My gaming rig is an SLI laptop from ~3 years ago (Intel 4000, NVidia 700 generations), and I'm able to run Total Warhammer and other modern games smoothly, albeit generally on lower settings. Because it's a computer, I use it for a vast number of things that I can't use a console, like writing, work, or playing D&D. And with it being portable, I can go over to a friend's house when I want to game with them and do multiscreen MP.

The only thing a console has going for it is exclusive games. And that's shrinking as Xbox games end up on Windows 10.

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: March 15, 2017, 05:36:13 PM »
Was Rock band 4 or any of those multiplayer rhythm games released on PC?  :huh Also Scene it wasn't either. I have a laptop but it's all for surfing the web or school work. Speaking of back catalog the DosBox that GoG sells for simcity 2000 SE sucks :shakefist. I do tend to play a number of games on my tower, and I use my console for more than just gaming. It's also my blu-ray/dvd player along with Netflix on the living room screen.

Note i said split screen which is something me and my friends do all the time and when I had a Wii we played a ton of Wii sports and while i had a kinetic we did those games too.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: March 15, 2017, 06:00:11 PM »
Were Diablo 2, Total War, Counterstrike, World of Warcraft, StarCraft II ever released on console? Every platform has very good exclusives - but PC is the only platform that can, in the end, run everything (Hello, emulators!).

There's also just a general move towards turning consoles into PCs. There's the absolutely explicit move of Microsoft, which straight up turned the XBox into a PC (it runs Windows 10). There's Sony, which is multi-platform (PlayStation Now on PC), and runs on PC hardware (the CPU/GPU are just variants of AMD's low power CPU and high power GPU). And then there's Nintendo, whose Switch runs on NVidia's platform, a merger of ARM's CPU tech (found in every mobile phone) and NVidia's GPU tech (most PCs).

Once upon a time, PowerPC chips and Cell processors found a home in consoles and made them unique, but these days, a console is just a PC with a restricted operating system on it.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
  • No obstacle too great for the FLAMES IN MY HEART!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: March 15, 2017, 06:45:59 PM »
Were Diablo 2, Total War, Counterstrike, World of Warcraft, StarCraft II ever released on console? Every platform has very good exclusives - but PC is the only platform that can, in the end, run everything (Hello, emulators!).

There's also just a general move towards turning consoles into PCs. There's the absolutely explicit move of Microsoft, which straight up turned the XBox into a PC (it runs Windows 10). There's Sony, which is multi-platform (PlayStation Now on PC), and runs on PC hardware (the CPU/GPU are just variants of AMD's low power CPU and high power GPU). And then there's Nintendo, whose Switch runs on NVidia's platform, a merger of ARM's CPU tech (found in every mobile phone) and NVidia's GPU tech (most PCs).

Once upon a time, PowerPC chips and Cell processors found a home in consoles and made them unique, but these days, a console is just a PC with a restricted operating system on it.

As of right now there is no fully functioning Wii U emulator (every game it runs has a bug or twelve, some are straight-up unplayable), PS3 or Xbox 360, much less current gen consoles. Nothing for the 3DS or the PS Vita either. It will likely be a while before those are going to be a thing. Hell, the Sega Saturn is now 23 years old and even the best Saturn emulators still can't run some of its games properly.

Consoles do have their place as a piece of hardware that may be steeply priced (although learning about hardware is not for everybody - not every user is ready for a gaming PC) but at least is fairly accessible to the user.
Kami darou ga akuma darou ga, ore no michi ni tateru mono NASHI!!

Give me internets. Now.

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #435 on: March 15, 2017, 08:02:52 PM »
All fair points, Kuro, but as consoles keep getting more and more like PC's onto themselves, emulating them will only get easier, not harder. Assuming the companies that make the consoles don't release them for PC in some way shape or form themselves, which, then, precludes the need to actually emulate it at all... Or to buy it, for that matter, if you have a kickass PC.

The older hardware is harder to emulate, because it often used exotic components that have particular quirks about them, and the language used is weird, etc... Any number of reasons. Newer hardware got easier, and easier, and easier. But there are still problems.

Now, we could bruteforce the problems away in some cases with the older consoles. We had the power. Processors/GPU's that are thousands, millions, billion times faster than what they used. We could just say "fuck it" and bruteforce away. This becomes a problem with newer consoles. They're often easier to emulate in some cases, but in the cases they're not, we can't just simply bruteforce them. Newer hardware being four, eight, or even sixteen times as powerful is not enough. We'd need much more powerful hardware to simply bruteforce *those* problems away.

So we need a way to make better emulators, which need a better understanding of how the hardware talks to software and how it all works, so we can make a translation to make it work with PC just as well, or at least close to as well, as it does on the native console.

So if a newer console has weird hardware, and a weird/modified OS... We need to figure out what is going on behind the scenes. But doing that is hard. Reverse engineering that shit is haaaaaaaard. But everything's hidden behind patents, under lock and key, away from sight and difficult to access by those who need the information the DEV's had when developing games for the console, and in some instances even more than that, they need to know shit only the engineers who designed the console had access to.

That takes time. A whole effort by a very large community can eventually reverse engineer stuff well enough that it can run basically everything, with 100% fidelity, as the SNES community has done for its console. I doubt the Saturn has a following as large as the SNES does...

And newer consoles? Well, they're DIRT CHEAP in many cases. Damn, i know people who'd gladly simply GIVE AWAY a N64 that's just taking space, or a PS1, or even a PS2/Xbox. Or maybe sell them for next to nothing. I know people who did this - though i only found out after the fact because i actually want an N64/PS2/Xbox.

So: Lack of a large community, difficulties in accessing the code, plus the fact they're still new, all contribute to newer consoles being the worse at being emulated.

But all this changes when consoles become almost exactly like PC's...

So we wait a few years, and all these consoles you mentioned have problems with emulating as of right now will be better emulated. A few more years, and the newer stuff too. And if the trend continues everything will be either available on PC, or be capable of emulating on a PC.

AT LEAST THAT'S WHAT I CHOSE TO BELIEVE! MY UTOPIA! DON'T TAKE AWAY MY DREAMS!

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: March 15, 2017, 11:33:36 PM »
"Utopia" sounds about right. For a lot of these consoles, we actually already understand how a good deal of their hardware works - we've got almost anything short of the algorithms for generating encryption keys (for the PS3 and X360). It's even easier with the 3DS which has multiple entry points with which to gaze at its inner workings, and more recently the Vita. People are writing homebrew for it, which means they already know how the software talks to the hardware itself.

Way I see it, the actual hard part of writing an emulator for the PS3/X360 are firmware updates, which change a lot of things under the hood that no one can really know what it's about. Again, matter of time, but with the exception of the REALLY old consoles, it's gosh darn next to impossible to emulate things perfectly. Even up to the 32 bits generation it's hard enough.

And PLEASE don't get me started on PC ports. They're so often so bastardized and lacking in actual support that every time I have to pick between buying it for my PC or my PS4, I have to ask myself whether I prefer to spend more money on knowing it likely WILL work or gambling that my rig will be able to run it (had that issue with RE7 - I could run the demo fine, start to finish, but the finished game? Nope).

Give me internets. Now.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: March 16, 2017, 12:40:37 AM »
Even if my PCSX2 and Dolphin can't run my "new" games 100% smooth on my old laptop, the part where they all fit inside a single device that doesn't need a TV to play is an overwhelming advantage.

Ditto for the ability to turn my cellphone in a GBC+GBA+DS.

Extras like save states and whatnot are pretty nice too.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: March 16, 2017, 10:42:45 AM »
See, that's the beauty of hacked consoles. Many of them are built for retrocompatibility on hardware alone (companies love to re-sell oldgen games to us) and can therefore run a lot more games than "just" theirs.

The 3DS can run DS games. Vita has plenty of cross-buy with PS3 and PS4 games. The PS4 can probably play PS3 games.

Really, the emulator angle works just as well for consoles once you get past those silly locks. I don't know why companies really even bother, what with all the emphasis they place on multiplayer nowadays and their bans on modded consoles...

Give me internets. Now.

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: March 16, 2017, 11:19:32 PM »
Can't we all just agree that while some prefer consoles over PCs and others PCs over consoles that the key thing is enjoyment?