Author Topic: X Stat to Y Bonus Discussion Thread  (Read 119300 times)

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
X Stat to Y Bonus Discussion Thread
« on: April 03, 2012, 06:12:13 PM »
I've moved this important thread over since it hadn't been ported yet.  Look at my lovely formatting!

If any new sources are somehow scrounged up let me know and I'll add them, the same with corrections to the list.

Offline Maat Mons

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
    • View Profile
Re: X Stat to Y Bonus Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 09:50:22 PM »
For completeness, you should list geomancer (Complete Divine).  Its spell versatility ability allows you to use the casting stat of one class as the casting stat of another. 

Using pre tags is causing some of the text to go off the edge, at least for me.  I think an actual table would be best. 

War mage, the prestige class, is two words.  Warmage, the base class is one word.  For clarity, people often refer to the prestige class as war mage of Krynn. 

Several entries have question marks for page number or book. 
  • Crossbow sniper: this is on page 77
  • Improved bind vestige: this is on page 73
  • Dungeoneer's intuition: this is in City of Splendors: Waterdeep, on  page 144
  • War mage: this is from Age of Mortals, on page 48

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 01:52:21 AM »
I'll stick Geomancer in.

I can't code tables worth anything, if you can code good looking tables I'll put them in.  I see the things going off the page and will fix those. 

I'll add edit in the information as well, the entire thread was just copy pasted from the old bg thread and then formatted.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 03:54:45 AM »
Adjusted all of the formatting, it should look much better now.  I also added editions and proper source citing to some of the entries that were missing them.

Offline Maat Mons

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 06:45:26 PM »
I can't code tables worth anything, if you can code good looking tables I'll put them in.

Here's an attempt. 

Strength
(click to show/hide)

Dexterity
(click to show/hide)

Constitution
(click to show/hide)

Intelligence
(click to show/hide)

Wisdom
(click to show/hide)

Charisma
(click to show/hide)

Any
(click to show/hide)

Other
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 07:02:17 PM by Maat Mons »

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 01:54:37 AM »
Those tables look great.  I corrected some more formatting errors I found (there are just too many lines for me to fix them all the first time apparently) and then edited them in. 

Much appreciated!   :love

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 02:10:46 PM »
the bold option seems to be appropriate for this thread.

dragon mag 354, p54: feat (1st level only): wedded to history - allows you to pick one of the listed backgrounds, as follows:
  • apostle of the forgotten: 1/d, swift, effect of augury spell - limited to 1min in the future, CL = char lvl, +1 init bonus.
  • elder of legend: +3 bluff, intimidate, diplomacy with those who know who/what you are.
  • golden ager: UMD always class skill, can use untrained, mishap on 15+ instead of 10+.
  • hand of prophecy: 1/d +2 attack and on skill checks versus one opponent.
  • survivor: replace fort or ref with will. cumulative -1 to will after each time you use this.
  • throwback: immune to type specific effects. (favored enemy, bane effects, charm, etc...)
  • wanderer: use trained-only skills even w/o ranks, @ -2 penalty. communicate in any known language, int check, dc15.

supplemental feats
  • ancestor (prereq= wedded to history, elder of legend background): members of your race auto shift one step closer to helpful, +2 on diplomacy checks, own race.
  • master's voice (prereq= wedded to history, golden ager background, umd 9 ranks): impersonate master/creator of unintelligent undead or construct. (umd check for impersonate= dc20+hd of creature); (umd check for command= dc10+hd of creature) special: only works if actual master is not around.
  • packrat (prereq= wedded to history, wanderer background, appraise 1 rank): carry max 10gp/lvl unspecified items, but specified weight, can become any equip desired within gp and weight limit. must shop for 8 hours to replenish.
  • pawn in the great game (prereq= wedded to history, hand of prophecy background, diehard, endurance): when fail vs death attack, or go from positive to negative hit points, can make fort save vs dc25-level. success=-2 str & con, hp=1.
  • self medicating (prereq= wedded to history, survivor background): heal is always class skill. can give self long-term care. 1/d, heal 1d4+int mod (min 1hp). takes 1min. uninterrupted, and 1 use of healing kit.
  • shuffled interior (prereq= wedded to history, throwback background, great fortitude): gain 25% crit/sneak attack negation.
  • voice of bitter experience (prereq= wedded to history, apostle of the lost background, bluff 1 rank): bluff vs sense motive against divine caster about to cast. win=opponent shaken for encounter, win by 5+=opponent frightened for 1rnd. mind affecting, language dependent.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 11:55:51 PM »
The Vampire template class online has a crazy way of replacing Con. Specifically, it uses Cha for everything that Con was used for before (well, all "quantities", but that's darn near everything). Takes 8 levels to get it, though.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 01:26:48 AM »
Actually it takes seven levels.   :p

Good find though, I'll add it.

Offline The_Laughing_Man

• įŽ‘いį”·
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 06:30:33 AM »
Great job, Nanshork!

Could you correct one misspelling while you are at it:
Montebank -> Mountebank

Btw, did you crosscheck that you have all the stuff from here?

Offline CattyNebulart

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 03:14:32 PM »
One thing is still missing is that cat's and many other (usually cat based) creatures can use dex for jump and climb checks.

This can be exploited through antromorphic animals, or by a familiar.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2012, 03:17:03 PM »
Jungle kobolds add their Dexterity modifier to Climb checks instead of their Strength modifier.
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2012, 05:28:31 PM »
@The_Laughing Man: There were quite a few misspellings in the original thread, it doesn't surprise me that I didn't catch them all.  Crosschecking has now been done.

@Catty: Added Anthropomorphic Cat

@sirpercival: Added Jungle Kobolds

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2012, 01:00:21 AM »
was the wedded to history: survivor suggestion helpful? getting to use will in place of all saves is effectively replacing con and dex with wis (or cha) for saves.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2012, 02:01:47 AM »
was the wedded to history: survivor suggestion helpful? getting to use will in place of all saves is effectively replacing con and dex with wis (or cha) for saves.

I'm on the fence about it.  It doesn't actually let you use Wis for your Fortitude and Reflex saves, and there are so many things that can affect those saves besides the stat (such as the base save).

Offline Ryu Hayabusa

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2012, 09:37:15 AM »
Small point: For Champion of Gwynharwyf's entry (cha to saves), you have Gwynharwyf totally misspelled.

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2012, 10:03:14 AM »

I'm on the fence about it.  It doesn't actually let you use Wis for your Fortitude and Reflex saves, and there are so many things that can affect those saves besides the stat (such as the base save).
The Constitution section lists the various maneuvers that replace Fort/Ref/Will/Damage with Concentration checks, so if nothing else, there's precedent.
Please send private messages regarding board matters to Forum Staff instead.

Offline Halinn

• Legendary Member
  • My personal text is impersonal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2012, 10:30:24 AM »
Small point: For Champion of Gwynharwyf's entry (cha to saves), you have Gwynharwyf totally misspelled.
I'm fairly sure it's spelled Gwynharfarlarwhatevsyf. Or something close to that.

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2012, 10:42:06 AM »
I'm fairly sure it's spelled Gwynharfarlarwhatevsyf. Or something close to that.
I just call her Ginny.
Please send private messages regarding board matters to Forum Staff instead.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2012, 04:07:32 PM »
I told you there were misspellings all over!  Look, I fixed it.   :p

@Agita: Good point, I forgot about those.  Wedded to History added.