Author Topic: Class - The DDO Monk  (Read 5829 times)

Offline SorO_Lost

• Honorary Mod
  • Banned
    • View Profile
Class - The DDO Monk
« on: November 15, 2011, 07:34:02 PM »
Lately I've been wondering how the Dungeons & Dragon Online's Monk class would fare in a table top game.

It is pretty much the monk - daily crap + ki.
In DDO each time a monk hits a creature they gain (default) 1 ki which can then be expended in various amounts to augment their melee capabilities. Such as Fire Strike IV costing 7 ki and dealing +2d20 fire damage.

So I copy and pasted, tweaked the numbers a bit as to avoid game breaking (+2d20!) and this is what I came up with. Let me know if you can understand things as I may not have been explanatory enough in some areas (it does have a huge block-o-rules) and any balance issues, aside from it's stronger than the monk, and any tweaks or suggestions to this you may have.

Original idea is Dungeons & Dragons Online, all credits of concept go to them. I only worked on adaptability & rescaling.

The DDO Monk

Game Rules (attached is a handy local version of these rules for you.)
(click to show/hide)

Stances
(click to show/hide)

Finishers
(click to show/hide)

Note - Attachments are not working.
download the HTML version via Pastebin: http://pastebin.com/xW4TweUw
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 03:15:43 PM by SorO_Lost »

Offline SorO_Lost

• Honorary Mod
  • Banned
    • View Profile
Re: The DDO Monk
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 07:34:17 PM »
Prestigious Classes

Shintao Monk
Shintao Monks specialize in dealing with evil kami from other worlds.
(click to show/hide)

Ninja Spy
Ninja Spys specialize in dealing deadly assassinations.
(click to show/hide)

Offline SorO_Lost

• Honorary Mod
  • Banned
    • View Profile
Re: The DDO Monk
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 07:34:42 PM »
K, Shintao Monk & Ninja spy up. I did end up stealing the Rogue's Assassin's Special Attacks and adding the Spy to Ninja Spy.
As before, comments are helpful and I take it BeholderSlayer loves it and Prime32 has been wanting some kinda of combo class for a while.

Items up next. After some thought, set item is out the door. Going to build some legacies. Set Items, particularly the Devil's ones are too high in level for any real use. Pricing the abilities them selves seems like a good idea, but then what the heck. We need more legacy stuff, plus I can finish off what the Shintao Monk started.

<snippet>
5: Poverty
6: Endure Evil
7: Tainted Strike
8: Incorporate Effect I
Poverty: Wearing and using Shintao Cord does not violate a character's Vow of Poverty (if any). This ability is granted even if it's bearer has not completed Shintao Cord's least ritual. (made up)

Endure Evil (Su): At 6th level and higher, you enjoy the constant effect of a protection from evil spell. Caster level 5th. (divine spark, wol-pg73)

Tainted Strike (Ex): You gain a bonus on attack and damage rolls equal to +1 per three character levels against aberrations, undead, or evil outsiders. (faithful avenger, tob-pg135)

Incorporate Effect I (Su): You may imbue Shintao Cord with one magical item's powers. If so, Shintao Cord gains the magical properties of the item. Incorporate Effect cannot be used to copy effects from a magical item valued above 4,000gp, is single use, or requires either a certain item type or for Shintao Cord to be welded as a different item. For example, you could add the magical effects of a Hat of Disguise to Shintao Cord but you could not add in the effects of the Frost enchantment. Using an item to imbue Shintao Cord does not remove the magical effect from the copied item and using an item for this ability does not violate a vow of poverty. (made up)

</snippet>

Thoughts?