Author Topic: Purple Mage Heretic and Cosmic Mind  (Read 15096 times)

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
Re: Purple Mage Heretic and Cosmic Mind
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2014, 11:29:20 AM »
Why do we need to waste time buffing?

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2014, 11:31:23 AM »
Why do we need to waste time buffing?

Because that's what this class/maneuver school is supposed to be about, just by looking at the character in question.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2014, 11:37:55 AM »
Oh so we're inferring it'll be requiring to buff itself from it's arcane or divine spell lists and not have any sort of synergy between those and the maneuvers attached to Cosmic Mind?

Because if, indeed, that is it's point, I could very well see Cosmic Mind taking a cue from Love Colored Magic in it's ability to not expend cast spells and giving you means to consistently buff yourself without too much worry.

Which means it's quite likely, and fairly easy to see, that this problem might not actually be a problem. It is only a problem right now because there is literally nothing here but a 1st level class feature and a bunch of maneuver names with no descriptions.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2014, 01:03:44 PM »
Added the 1st level maneuvers and stance.

Removed the forbidden cost to attack rolls, just AC penalty now.

Added rule that the purple mage heretic can use one light weapon or wand while holding the sutra scroll (Byakuren does hold her half-vajra simultaneously with her glowing artifact), or can just punch people while grabbing it.

Anti-silence stuff would appear higher up in the class.

I suppose I could just make dual progression instead of tri-progression, but heh, I'm seriously tempted to see if I can make this whole arcane+divine+maneuvers thing work. That's kinda the whole point of Byakuren. "I'm gonna be a buddhist priest! AND a youkai mage! AND a martial artist! Oh, dear, why do I have so few hands, guess I'll have to juggle my fingers with a bunch of stuff simultaneously."

As for the difference from Marisa/Alice, well, it's mentioned at several places that Byakuren does directly draw powers from other youkai. Faith in monsters is still faith (and probably why she couldn't break away on her own from Makai, she was all by herself). Marisa and Alice may've learned from others at start, but they're independent entitities now.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2014, 01:13:11 PM »
I suppose I could just make dual progression instead of tri-progression, but heh, I'm seriously tempted to see if I can make this whole arcane+divine+maneuvers thing work. That's kinda the whole point of Byakuren. "I'm gonna be a buddhist priest! AND a youkai mage! AND a martial artist! Oh, dear, why do I have so few hands, guess I'll have to juggle my fingers with a bunch of stuff simultaneously."

Being a buddhist priest and martial artist appears to have been somewhat conflated a lot of the time.

As for the difference from Marisa/Alice, well, it's mentioned at several places that Byakuren does directly draw powers from other youkai. Faith in monsters is still faith (and probably why she couldn't break away on her own from Makai, she was all by herself). Marisa and Alice may've learned from others at start, but they're independent entitities now.

Always throught the 'need youkai'  thing was because a lack of youkai would do a number on the power of magic. That is, with no youkai and no belief in youkai, it's going to lose a lot of its effectiveness. Magic is just imitating their innate abilities, anyway.

And being sealed probably explains being stuck there.

On the maneuvers: yay, punching! ... why, exactly, does Makai Butterfly need the flight effect? Devil's Recitation seems complicated. Really complicated.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2014, 01:37:15 PM »

Being a buddhist priest of any religion and martial artist appears to have been somewhat conflated a lot of the time.
Fixed that for you. Where I live, old chapels were designed as fortresses, and priests totally were expected to go smash faces when the enemy came, not just read prayers and perform miracles.

Heck, Julius Caesar was an Augur, one of the top priests of the roman religion! And many of the other Augurs held important military ranks as well!

Always throught the 'need youkai'  thing was because a lack of youkai would do a number on the power of magic. That is, with no youkai and no belief in youkai, it's going to lose a lot of its effectiveness. Magic is just imitating their innate abilities, anyway.
Eirin would like a word with you. Youkais were created with magic, not the other way around. You can draw magic from youkai, yes, but that doesn't mean they're the source of it, they're a symptom.

The whole reason why youkai are hiding inside the border is precisely because magic was diminishing in the outside world. Magic sustains youkai, not the contrary.

On the maneuvers: yay, punching! ... why, exactly, does Makai Butterfly need the flight effect?
Eeerrr, butterflies fly? Mobility? I needed something that would be based on damage but wouldn't scale too crazily.

Devil's Recitation seems complicated. Really complicated.
Not more complicated than the Love-Coloured stances.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 01:39:17 PM by oslecamo »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2014, 01:58:01 PM »

Being a buddhist priest of any religion and martial artist appears to have been somewhat conflated a lot of the time.
Fixed that for you. Where I live, old chapels were designed as fortresses, and priests totally were expected to go smash faces when the enemy came, not just read prayers and perform miracles.

Heck, Julius Caesar was an Augur, one of the top priests of the roman religion! And many of the other Augurs held important military ranks as well!

And several knightly orders were also monastic, yes. Still, the point was more the actual type of martial arts. :p

Eirin would like a word with you. Youkais were created with magic, not the other way around. You can draw magic from youkai, yes, but that doesn't mean they're the source of it, they're a symptom.

The whole reason why youkai are hiding inside the border is precisely because magic was diminishing in the outside world. Magic sustains youkai, not the contrary.

Seems to be something of a feedback loop. They both need each other, and the Lunarians are just sitting up on the moon being amused.

On the maneuvers: yay, punching! ... why, exactly, does Makai Butterfly need the flight effect?
Eeerrr, butterflies fly? Mobility? I needed something that would be based on damage but wouldn't scale too crazily.

Might want to introduce a minimum movement threshold. I can't think of much use for 10' perfect flight for one round, which is what this is going to be doing early-game.

Devil's Recitation seems complicated. Really complicated.
Not more complicated than the Love-Coloured stances.
[/quote]

It's the charging thing.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2014, 05:16:24 PM »
Devil's Recitation doesn't actually say what benefit charging the bonded spell for a round actually grants. All it says is you use a swift action to make your flowers start charging and glowing and all your enemies know they're being targeted, then next round the charged spells go off.

But nowhere is any actual benefit described to doing this.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2014, 12:11:04 PM »
Devil's Recitation should be more cleaned up now.

Also added first sealed maneuver.

And several knightly orders were also monastic, yes. Still, the point was more the actual type of martial arts. :p
Western warriors totally had fancy martial arts of their own, including special names for their moves. It's just that said special names sound extremely silly for us nowadays, so you don't see many fencing instructors talking about Unicorn Parries and the like anymore.

Seems to be something of a feedback loop. They both need each other, and the Lunarians are just sitting up on the moon being amused.
The only lunarian amused with how the situation turned out is Kaguya. All the other lunarians are pretty pissed off their youkai ended up driven into a pocket dimension, and that the filthy humans are now trying to invade the moon.

Besides, magic was developed by the lunarians long before they decided to create youkai, it's how they created their moon city on the first place. So it's clearly possible for there to be magic without youkai.

Might want to introduce a minimum movement threshold. I can't think of much use for 10' perfect flight for one round, which is what this is going to be doing early-game.
Increased the movement speed gained to five times damage dealt.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2017, 10:53:42 AM »
After 2000 years non-sealed Cosmic Mind maneuvers are up.

Offline Vladeshi

• Feel free to ignore me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2017, 09:03:45 PM »
Happy to see this getting finished.  :D

9th level
Superhuman "Byakuren Hijiri"
Cosmic Mind (Strike)
You mistyped strike instead of Stance.

Flying Bowl "Legendary Flying Saucer"
Cosmic Mind (Strike)

It counts as having a Str score equal to your Int mod
Did you mean a bonus to Str equal to your Int mod?
Because otherwise you will be lucky to give it a Str score over 10.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 09:24:09 PM by Vladeshi »
The following explanation has been removed due to time constraints, character limits on posts, and the DC 30 Spellcraft checks to understand large portions of it.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2017, 10:57:23 AM »
Fixed typos, thanks!

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2017, 04:46:26 AM »
Added glorious fanservice images.

Also the sealed maneuvers.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2017, 08:54:51 AM »
Added prc abilities. Probably needs clean up but core is there.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2018, 03:40:39 AM »
Added maneuver list descriptions and cleaned around a bit.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2019, 03:59:43 AM »
Added option for a spontaneous arcane spellcasters to also get a sutra scroll.