Author Topic: General Discussion and Sugestions  (Read 75495 times)

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
General Discussion and Sugestions
« on: April 14, 2012, 07:51:20 PM »
As the title says.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Re: General Discussion and Sugestions
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 08:12:37 PM »
It would be nice to know what overall power level you're shooting for with these. I've always looked at your ToBhou disciplines, compared them to my mental model of the existing ToB disciplines (and classes), and thought "Damn, boy, this shit be OP!" But if they're all internally balanced amongst each other at some level, well, that's a different story, one that's all fine and dandy.

Offline Prime32

• Over-Underling
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 08:15:37 PM »
The fancy board name was breaking the Recent Posts lists. So back to the original.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 05:45:04 PM »
It would be nice to know what overall power level you're shooting for with these. I've always looked at your ToBhou disciplines, compared them to my mental model of the existing ToB disciplines (and classes), and thought "Damn, boy, this shit be OP!" But if they're all internally balanced amongst each other at some level, well, that's a different story, one that's all fine and dandy.

They're suposed to be internally balanced, also seeking to stay on the rough same level as my monster classes.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 05:26:18 PM »
In that case, good job, because they look about right for that.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 06:29:47 PM »
The index says "Doo Judgement", not "Doll Judgement".

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 11:09:38 AM »
Fixed, thanks!

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 08:06:36 PM »
Bunch of minor updates:
-Dream Battle-1st level maneuvers are in.
-Doll Judgement-Clarified Doll Cremation so that a sucessful save negates blidness and reduces damage.
-Plain History-You can now initiate Plain History counters and boosts while wielding the weapon granted by that stance.

Offline Merchant

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 12:12:06 PM »
I am loving your Disciplines. I can't even choose a favorite but I love the ones that have a class that go with it.

I was wondering if you could make a class for the Lunatic Princess. The idea of an item/artifact user is quite interesting. I'll have to read the thread again but do you have stats and abilities for these artifacts in the first place?

EDIT:

Sorry just realized you have the Royal being the class for it. Either way great work wih the Royal too.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 12:20:28 PM by Merchant »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 12:24:44 PM »
Thanks!

The class for the Lunatic Princess was suposed to be the Eternal Royal. I did it for Border of Life first, but my long-term plan would be for it to have 3 ToBhou schools to pick from.
Ah you noticed it good.

As for the artifacts, they're suposed to be normal or magic items you "bind" to yourself and then improve.

Offline Prime32

• Over-Underling
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2012, 03:40:10 PM »
If I can suggest an addition to the introduction which would solve a lot of odd rule interactions... (and reduce the need for exception clauses)
The classes in this work possess a heavier magical component than those in Tome of Battle: The Book of Nine Swords, and interact with spellcasting-related feats and prestige classes in a similar manner to the warlock (Complete Arcane).

While they cannot qualify for feats and prestige classes with a spellcaster level requirement (since they cannot cast spells), members of these classes can meet caster level requirements by using their initiator level in place of their caster level. Likewise, prestige classes which advance spellcasting ability may be used to advance the maneuvers of one of these classes instead. This does not apply to characters who gain access to these disciplines through other sources (such as the Martial Study feat).

Maneuvers from the schools in this work count as arcane spells of one level lower for meeting prerequisites, except for Dream Battle and Lunatic Princess which count as divine spells of one level lower. An initiator of one of these schools does not possess spell slots, however, and cannot benefit from abilities which require the expenditure of spell slots or prepared spells (such as Arcane Strike or Spontaneous Healer).

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 05:09:22 AM »
That's a great idea, added!

Offline samnemath

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2012, 07:44:00 PM »
When in Doll Judgment you say "use your own stats" like for example in the 3rd level stance, does that mean you roll both attack and damage as if you were the one attacking or just attack.

Also, I guess the dolls are valid targets for buff spells?

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2012, 07:48:27 PM »
Yes to both.

Offline samnemath

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2012, 07:50:10 PM »
yes to attack and damage or yes to just attack?

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2012, 07:53:30 PM »
Attack and damage.

Offline samnemath

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2012, 08:05:58 PM »
Just a few more questions :)

This "use your own stats" does not include the use of feats does it? I don't mean "weapon focus" and the like, but feats like stand-still, knock-back and knock-down.

What about equipment. Is your attack and damage  (in the "use your own stats" case) calculated with what equipment you hold? Mainly asking about weapons.

Edit: Also I notice that after "Doll Placement" there are no maneuvers for re-positioning your dolls. Do they get movement speed from "Blue Benevolent Dolls"? (I am guessing that since they can do tasks as unseen servant they can move, but at what speed?)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 12:54:35 AM by samnemath »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2012, 07:17:46 AM »
Ouch missed this one.

They use your feats/class abilities yes, and I'm not that worried about standstill/knockdown since those are extremely specialized builds, so you better be really good at it (plus being in a Doll Judgement stance means not being in that other stance that gives you endless aoos, and the dolls have capped aoos of their own).

Equipment and movement are explained in Puppeteer's theater, the 1st level stance.

Offline samnemath

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2012, 01:38:51 PM »
Equipment and movement are explained in Puppeteer's theater, the 1st level stance.

So it is exactly as if you are making the attack with the exception of size modifiers and the weapon you wield. OK!

As far as movement is concerned the stance states that they move with you. I guess that means that you cannot move them independently or alter their position except by using maneuvers tat specifically enable you to move them? They only move as you do and always stay in the same relative position?

What happens if you teleport? Do they follow along?

hey use your feats/class abilities yes, and I'm not that worried about standstill/knockdown since those are extremely specialized builds, so you better be really good at it (plus being in a Doll Judgement stance means not being in that other stance that gives you endless aoos, and the dolls have capped aoos of their own).

I was thinking a knockback combo with Little Legion maneuver, where each doll would bullrush the opponent in the next doll's reach making it possible to attack the same target with all of them (if they all succeeded in the bullrush of course). Would that work?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 02:56:31 PM by samnemath »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2012, 06:39:10 PM »
You can channel basic abilities trough your dolls, so you could spend a move action to make one move alone.

If you teleport they follow you yes.

Yes, you could make a chain of bullrushes with little legion, altough you're still taking a -8 penalty since the dolls are two sizes smaller than you.