Author Topic: Poke-Center (OOC Discussion)  (Read 214933 times)

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
Re: Pre-Campaign Discussion
« Reply #140 on: March 30, 2012, 02:13:14 PM »
Still around, just haven't been on for a few days. Will put up my char sheet ~Tuesday-ish.

Osle, You can go ahead and post what I sent. Anything more you want from me? No promises on timeliness, but I'll work on whatever you'd like for dreamland and whatnot. I have a lot of time to think, just not mush to sit and write.

Also, You haven't written anything else for Kremella yet, and I don't remember seeing anything about Koopa. I'd think he'd have an elite unit of special forces that he sends out on missions. All of whom are bloodstorm blades who specialize in bludgeoning weapons. They would be known as the "Fraternity of the Hammer". :)

Nonsense. Everyone knows that Peach takes a "careless stroll" through Koopa infested areas, then waits a week or so before calling for help. Seriously, she gets 'kidnapped', then Mario comes and stomps a few underlings, and then in a few days they invite Bowser to go go-karting or play tennis? The military of Mushroom Kingdom / Koopa Land is nothing more then a show. :)

King Bowser sends troops out on Missions, but they usually involve delivering a "Proclamation of War" to Princess Peach, which sounds surprising like "Same Time Thursday?" :)
Link to my homebrews

(Offsite server may be unstable. Report broken / unresponsive link with Post Upvote button)

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 30, 2012, 02:20:33 PM »
Here's a question: All of the pokemon information is about "Planet Earth", but given how small the pokemon world is can I assume that the Hyrulian continent is on the same planet?

Offline ariasderros

• Epic Member
  • PM me what you're giving Kudos for please.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 30, 2012, 02:28:29 PM »
Still around, just haven't been on for a few days. Will put up my char sheet ~Tuesday-ish.

Osle, You can go ahead and post what I sent. Anything more you want from me? No promises on timeliness, but I'll work on whatever you'd like for dreamland and whatnot. I have a lot of time to think, just not mush to sit and write.

Also, You haven't written anything else for Kremella yet, and I don't remember seeing anything about Koopa. I'd think he'd have an elite unit of special forces that he sends out on missions. All of whom are bloodstorm blades who specialize in bludgeoning weapons. They would be known as the "Fraternity of the Hammer". :)

Nonsense. Everyone knows that Peach takes a "careless stroll" through Koopa infested areas, then waits a week or so before calling for help. Seriously, she gets 'kidnapped', then Mario comes and stomps a few underlings, and then in a few days they invite Bowser to go go-karting or play tennis? The military of Mushroom Kingdom / Koopa Land is nothing more then a show. :)

King Bowser sends troops out on Missions, but they usually involve delivering a "Proclamation of War" to Princess Peach, which sounds surprising like "Same Time Thursday?" :)

Yes. All of this has basically been established. BUT.
I want the "Fraternity of the Hammer" as bloodstorm blades who use hammers. And as such are walking around calling one another "Brother". Because it's funny that we can make the hammer brothers into something iconic, ironic, and still useful.
Must haz.
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #143 on: March 30, 2012, 02:35:33 PM »
Your character's personal crunch and fluff would be nice. :p

Well, nothing stops those two from being true. Like already discussed here and there, the Mushroom Kingdom/Koopa/kongs have reached a "peace trough tournaments", togheter with some bizarre love triangles, but they're still giant turtles with oversize hammers and bombs in one side and rock-crushing humans that throw fire on the other, so mess with them at your own risk.  :P

Anyways, now working on elves/kokiri/gorons/zora, since they're all somewhat more significant for the campaign start (and I also happen to know a good deal about them already).

Here's a question: All of the pokemon information is about "Planet Earth", but given how small the pokemon world is can I assume that the Hyrulian continent is on the same planet?
No. Planet Earth is its own continent and has much more modern tech overall. Assume the pokemon games only show very small regions of the planet. They'll be sharing it with Earthbound and any other nintendo psionic/modern stuff as needed, while the planet with the Hyrulian continent will house the Fire Emblem stuff.

Offline ariasderros

• Epic Member
  • PM me what you're giving Kudos for please.
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 30, 2012, 02:51:00 PM »
Your character's personal crunch and fluff would be nice. :p

That would be part of the "~Tuesday-ish". But the main thing is, I'm dumping Int and Wis, and am playing a curious + innocent (/ just doesn't get it) kirby.
He is named Mister Kurt Kirbington.
He gave himself the new first name when he decided to go out into the worlds, as he wanted to be better able to fit in, and it seemed to him that a LOT of the males of other races had the first name of "Mister".
That's pretty much the main "fluff". Other than he wants to be "like the star warriors!: all well-liked, and special, and heroic, and world-save-y, and.... I'm hungry. Got anything to eat?"
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline Ziegander

• bkdubs123 reborn
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 30, 2012, 03:49:01 PM »
There are multiple planets in the Nintendo Universe. The two "main" planets, for the purposes of storylines are Planet Earth, and the separate, as of yet unnamed planet that has the continents Kremella, Elibe, some big Kong-esque continents, and probably tons of islands. Planet Earth is basically just like our normal Planet Earth, in physical structure anyway, but it has lots of psychic power and is populated with loads of Pokemon.

As far as Bowser and the Koopas are concerned: It was my original intent to have them exist in the "Dark World," that has been a big part of the Legend of Zelda series. If you do some research on the character the "Koopa Kingdom" has also been referred to as the "Dark Land" or "Dark World," already in some Mario games, so it's not much of a stretch. You may recall that the last several levels of Super Mario Bros 3 were within this "Dark World" and sometimes you literally couldn't see anything because the areas were pitch black.

The Dark World would be another alternate dimension, possibly a variant of the Plane of Shadows, that, like Kirby's Dream Land, overlaps with, and is coterminous with the material plane. Unlike the Realm of Dream, the Dark World that Bowser is from is much less connected to the material plane and it requires powerful magic and/or rituals to cross over into.

My plans for Ganondorf were that he was originally from a desert nation on the Elibe continent, part of the Fire Emblem kingdoms, and in his ambition to unite the Fire Emblem kingdoms under his own rule he sought out and obtained powerful black magic from the Dark World. In so doing, it is likely that he made enemies of Bowser and his legions.

Ganondorf is not necessarily an evil man. He wishes to unite the Fire Emblem kingdoms to provide harmony, economic stability, and an end to all of the major wars that seem to break out anew everyday. He harbors nothing but contempt and anger toward the Hyrulians who have been keeping him from seeking power through the Realm of Dreams. It is quite possible that he believes the world would be a better place without the presence of Hyrule.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 30, 2012, 04:29:37 PM »
Are you going to add Gerudo in the races of Hyrule section?
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 30, 2012, 04:56:00 PM »

Hyrule islands. Not desert. Gerudo are from the mainland continent. They'll be included when the Fire Emblem countries are being fleshed out.

Offline Ziegander

• bkdubs123 reborn
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 30, 2012, 05:03:25 PM »

Hyrule islands. Not desert. Gerudo are from the mainland continent. They'll be included when the Fire Emblem countries are being fleshed out.

That's a good call. I hadn't even considered the Gerudo when I was working on the Hyrule stuff. I just looked Ganondorf up, and wow, I had never put two and two together before (I never played any Zelda games with Gerudo in them), but lo and behold, Ganondorf is a male Gerudo. And it makes so much sense.

So, Osle, I'll let you handle the Gerudo matters, then, and we'll work together on Ganondorf's role within the Gerudo and within the Fire Emblem materials. Sound good? I suppose I see him as the biggest and baddest of the Gerudo, ruling them not so much by formal election, or even by iron grip, but simply by the fact that he makes the decisions and nobody has the power to challenge him. I picture him as very "Bandit King" like, somewhat akin to Genghis Khan or something, before he decides that he should unite Elibe under his banner and become a true ruler.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 30, 2012, 05:44:36 PM »
Tecnically, most games do have Gerudo on them-Ganondor himself. :p

But yeah, the tribe itself only shows up in two games, and only plays a very minor role in one of them, so it's easy to miss. I'll work on it when I have some time then.

Another interesting trivia is that the gerudo suposedly only have female children (they aparently sneack into cities to get some quick boyfriends before returning to the desert), except for one male children every century that's suposedly destined for greatness and thus automatically becomes their leader, if not a god-king. Some relevant quotes
(click to show/hide)

Now I'm willing to ditch the whole "destined one" thing and have Ganon rise trough his own skills (on the other hand, I would like gerudo as a tribe of chicks). However I disagree somewhat with your vision of Gandonorf. He's more than willing to remain in the shadows and even lick some boots to get work done. In OoT he actually plays the role of polite ambassador to the king of Hyrule to get them to drop their guard. And then

(click to show/hide)

So he's clearly up to no good. He wants to rule, oh yes, but he wants to rule over a land of darkness and terror.

There's even the "Highjacked by Ganon" trope because 9 out of 10 times in Zelda, whatever villains are trying to take over are actually being manipulated by Ganon himself.

On the other hand, promising peace and prosperity trough power would be kinda expected from him.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: March 30, 2012, 08:05:54 PM »
oslecamo, look at Jeremy's background and tell me what you want me to add.

Offline Ziegander

• bkdubs123 reborn
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 31, 2012, 12:37:25 AM »
Now I'm willing to ditch the whole "destined one" thing and have Ganon rise trough his own skills (on the other hand, I would like gerudo as a tribe of chicks). However I disagree somewhat with your vision of Gandonorf. He's more than willing to remain in the shadows and even lick some boots to get work done. In OoT he actually plays the role of polite ambassador to the king of Hyrule to get them to drop their guard. And then he turns Hyrule town into a giant graveyard populated just by ghosts and raper zombies.

Plus in A Link To The Past, it's said he killed his own companions when entering the sacred realm to make sure only he would have the triforce.

So he's clearly up to no good. He wants to rule, oh yes, but he wants to rule over a land of darkness and terror.

There's even the "Highjacked by Ganon" trope because 9 out of 10 times in Zelda, whatever villains are trying to take over are actually being manipulated by Ganon himself.

On the other hand, promising peace and prosperity trough power would be kinda expected from him.

Yes, I know about the whole, "Gerudos are only female, but then again, there are rarely born male Gerudo who tend to kick retarded amounts of ass." That can totally still be true of the Gerudo, and Ganondorf can still be an exceptionally badass Gerudo dude. I'd say make the "god-king" part a cultural thing, at least until he makes it a bit more real by fortifying his body with sorcery and practicing powerful and hidden/stolen dark arts.

And by "not necessarily evil" I just mean that he intends to do some "good" in the world, or at least he thinks so, and probably most of his servants agree with him as well. He just tends to be VERY Machiavellian about it. The ends always justify the means. In making things more realistic the motive of "Waaagh! I want to take over the world and kill everyone!" just doesn't cut it. So we have to make him a real person with reasonable goals. Sure, he wants the world. He wants it because he believes that only he can turn it into a better place. And he will kill (almost) anyone that tries to stop him from taking it (surely he wouldn't destroy all of the Gerudo to take over the world, and if he kills too many people, then the Utopia he's trying to build isn't quite so Utopian anymore).

I just don't know how realistic you can make, "I want to rule over a kingdom of darkness and terror." It's very difficult to get anything accomplished in such a place. I think Ganondorf is smart enough to realize this. He wants to own the world, body and soul, and he wants it to dance to his tune, his perfect tune, so that everything and everyone always does what he wants.

And, sure, considering he has little in the form of a military force, and he's still growing in his magical powers, he has no problem manipulating and moving chess pieces about behind the scenes to allow little bits of power to consolidate to him slowly until he is able to gain enough power to move on to bits of power that are a little bigger and suddenly he can seize whole armies and nations, etc. At the "start" of the campaign, he is probably a figure like Sauron was before the forging of the rings. Serving as spy and adviser to many of the Fire Emblem kings/princes, probably in different forms and under different names. But once he's gained enough influence as well as physical/military and magical might, well, I definitely see him moving his agenda with much more overt force.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 12:39:51 AM by Ziegander »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 31, 2012, 02:18:53 PM »
Gerudo part added. "Ganondorf traveled into the dark realm for great power " to be developed when I get the time to work on the koopas.

oslecamo, look at Jeremy's background and tell me what you want me to add.
-How you got in Hyrule.
-How you got your other pokemon.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 31, 2012, 04:30:07 PM »
oslecamo, pokémon are on all worlds and not just Earth correct? 

Also, you nixed me using dragons as pokémon unless they're on the actual pokémon list.  Did you do this knowing that Dragons add 4 to their CR for purposes of me controlling them?

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 31, 2012, 06:00:16 PM »
Not really. Most pokemon are only found on Earth. There's some in the other worlds, but they've been carried there trough trainers and smugglers, so their relative numbers are much smaller and rarer, in particular when they're competing against the native monster populations.

Also, you nixed me using dragons as pokémon unless they're on the actual pokémon list.  Did you do this knowing that Dragons add 4 to their CR for purposes of me controlling them?
Yes. Hypersmart Alakazams may bow to humans, but  hell, D&D dragons are just too damn prideful to let themselves be carried inside a kid's pockets.

Offline Ziegander

• bkdubs123 reborn
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 31, 2012, 06:04:20 PM »
Yes. Hypersmart Alakazams may bow to humans, but  hell, D&D dragons are just too damn prideful to let themselves be carried inside a kid's pockets.

Uh, so Dratini, Dragonair, and Dragonite, all dragons, are okay as Pokemon, but wyrmling/very young D&D dragons, young/young adult D&D dragons, and adult/mature D&D dragons are off the table? That seems pretty arbitrary to me.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 31, 2012, 06:06:17 PM »
Not really. Most pokemon are only found on Earth. There's some in the other worlds, but they've been carried there trough trainers and smugglers, so their relative numbers are much smaller and rarer, in particular when they're competing against the native monster populations.

By pokemon I meant monsters that I can capture as pokemon, sorry for the miscommunication.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 31, 2012, 06:37:55 PM »

Uh, so Dratini, Dragonair, and Dragonite, all dragons, are okay as Pokemon, but wyrmling/very young D&D dragons, young/young adult D&D dragons, and adult/mature D&D dragons are off the table? That seems pretty arbitrary to me.
-From the few fluff we get about them, Dratini, Dragonair and Dragonite are glorified dolphins, usually docile beings that rescue humans that get lost in sea. They can fly into nasty rampages if provoked.
-Then we got some other dragon pokemon that are quite powerful, but still basically live as wild creatures, mostly caring about food and going in the ocasional rampage.
-D&D dragons are prideful, greedy creatures that cannonically will start collecting treasure literally as soon as they get out of their shells. Then they also like to show off and scheme or make great plans that take centuries to unfold and whatnot.
-My conclusion: Dragon-pokemon are earth's previous dragons that turned into a more savage state, losing the typical draconic pride and greed that's usually observed in dragons from other worlds.

By pokemon I meant monsters that I can capture as pokemon, sorry for the miscommunication.
Ah, yes, every world has its own typical fauna and flora, and one of the main reasons poketrainers travel is in search of new creatures to capture.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 08:09:33 PM by oslecamo »

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 31, 2012, 08:08:45 PM »
Is the new and improved backstory satisfactory?

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 01, 2012, 06:08:20 PM »
Yes it is.