Author Topic: Fun Finds: 5e Edition  (Read 144210 times)

Offline TenaciousJ

• AVENGE WAGON
    • View Profile
Re: Fun Finds: 5e Edition
« Reply #260 on: September 23, 2016, 12:24:57 AM »
That's a pretty sketchy interpretation taking advantage of two sets of playtest material that may not see publication, but it's RAW.
Make Eberron Great Again! #MEGA

Offline 8wGremlin

• Been around for a long while
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: September 23, 2016, 03:38:28 AM »
That's a pretty sketchy interpretation taking advantage of two sets of playtest material that may not see publication, but it's RAW.

oh, I know that it's on thin ice, and very very prone to "book to head" but thought it should be pointed out!

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: September 23, 2016, 04:14:25 PM »
Quite tasty indeed.

Same idea as the Spell-less Ranger using BM stuff.

Dex Fighter with this, could get the drop on a Dex Monk w Alert.
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • 50% Cripple, 50% Awesome. Flip a coin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: September 23, 2016, 06:36:18 PM »
I'm concerned about what that the abilities of that revised ranger mean for the basic rules...
Even when you are engaged in another activity
while traveling (such as foraging, navigating,
or tracking), you remain alert to danger.

Implying that these things make you oblivious normally...

• While tracking other creatures, you also learn
their exact number, their sizes, and how long
ago they passed through the area.

Wait, isn't this what tracking is normally for?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 06:41:12 PM by Nytemare3701 »

Offline RedWarlock

• Crimson-colored caster of calamity
    • View Profile
    • Red Blade Studios
« Reply #264 on: September 23, 2016, 07:49:49 PM »

oh, I know that it's on thin ice, and very very prone to "book to head" but thought it should be pointed out!
One of the WotC writers tweeted the new-ranger/scout-fighter thing as a legit interpretation. Can't find the tweet, but I saw it last night.
WarCraft post-d20: A new take on the World of WarCraft for tabletop. I need your eyes and comments!

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: September 24, 2016, 02:25:01 PM »
Well then  :clap ... there's a new Alpha Striker in town.

Offline TenaciousJ

• AVENGE WAGON
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: September 25, 2016, 12:20:15 PM »

One of the WotC writers tweeted the new-ranger/scout-fighter thing as a legit interpretation. Can't find the tweet, but I saw it last night.

If it didn't come from Crawford, I'd take it with a grain of salt, but in my mind that means an official version of the Scout fighter will have its own archetype feature instead of referencing the ranger feature.

Offline RedWarlock

• View Profile
    • Red Blade Studios
« Reply #267 on: September 25, 2016, 06:31:28 PM »

If it didn't come from Crawford, I'd take it with a grain of salt, but in my mind that means an official version of the Scout fighter will have its own archetype feature instead of referencing the ranger feature.
I could swear he said it, but looking back on his timeline, I'm not seeing the tweet. I'm wondering if he changed his mind and deleted the tweet after.
WarCraft post-d20: A new take on the World of WarCraft for tabletop. I need your eyes and comments!

Offline TenaciousJ

• AVENGE WAGON
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: September 27, 2016, 12:28:52 PM »

I could swear he said it, but looking back on his timeline, I'm not seeing the tweet. I'm wondering if he changed his mind and deleted the tweet after.

https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/779180922797076480

It came from Mearls.  He's an idea guy but not very consistent about rules, and he doesn't seem to have much if any input into things like Sage Advice that clarify rules interactions or balancing.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 12:31:10 PM by TenaciousJ »

Offline RedWarlock

• View Profile
    • Red Blade Studios
« Reply #269 on: September 27, 2016, 09:40:09 PM »

https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/779180922797076480

It came from Mearls.  He's an idea guy but not very consistent about rules, and he doesn't seem to have much if any input into things like Sage Advice that clarify rules interactions or balancing.
Ah, there we go. He just replied, rather than quote-replying like usual. No wonder I had trouble.

Offline TenaciousJ

• AVENGE WAGON
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: December 29, 2016, 09:23:04 PM »
I wasn't too sure of this before, but I've found out it's RAW:

https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/637669202036322304

Per this collection of tweets, Eldritch knight fighters and all rangers can use their spells gained from Magic Initiate with their slots.  Reviewing the PHB and the UA revision, the ranger lacks a key word in its Spell Slots paragraph.  Other spells known classes specify that their slots are for <class> spells known.  Ranger and Eldritch Knight do not have that wording.  Bard and Arcane Trickster also lack that wording, while the rest of the spells known classes specifically call out their own class for their slots.

I can speculate why bard would not need that wording, though Magical Secrets explicitly converts spells into bard spells.

So anyway these classes and archetypes get to use their Magical Secrets with their slots per RAW:
Bard
Eldritch Knight
Arcane Trickster
Ranger (PHB and UA versions)

Is there anything interesting that can be done with that?

Offline 8wGremlin

• Been around for a long while
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: December 30, 2016, 03:46:09 PM »
Quote from: TenaciousJ

So anyway these classes and archetypes get to use their Magical Secrets with their slots per RAW:
Bard
Eldritch Knight
Arcane Trickster
Ranger (PHB and UA versions)

Is there anything interesting that can be done with that?

Magic initiate: (Warlock) Hex is now usable?

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: December 30, 2016, 04:22:10 PM »
hmm , I recall that tweet-rata , but I think the (gone) wotc c.o. ignored this kind of class specifics.
I'm willing to admit "they" were wrong  :p

But how does this change EK with MI feat , that then goes into Wizard or Warlock or both?

Offline Wilb

• Elder Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: December 30, 2016, 07:10:48 PM »
hmm , I recall that tweet-rata , but I think the (gone) wotc c.o. ignored this kind of class specifics.
I'm willing to admit "they" were wrong  :p

But how does this change EK with MI feat , that then goes into Wizard or Warlock or both?

Well, according to the multiclass rules, they would prepare them as the respective casting class that allows such, with the strange side effect of using the spellcasting ability that pertains to the class that prepares the spell, not the spell itself, as far as I can tell.
Lovely Zoma...

Offline sambojin

• It's a game. Have fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: December 30, 2016, 07:51:16 PM »
Well, you could grab a couple of Sorc levels and use your MI spell through burned higher slots or sorc points as a bard/EK/AT/Ranger. Font and Flexible Casting doesn't have the "class spells" bit either, so fits in with MI for those class's slots.

Might be handy if you want an absolute tonne of Goodberries, but really don't want to level into Druid for them (you'll be levelling into Sorc instead though).

Don't know if that's actually worth it, but it is something you could do, if you really wanted to.

Bless and Hex are usually nice to have around, even without Sorc-slot-spamming.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 07:55:53 PM by sambojin »

Offline TenaciousJ

• AVENGE WAGON
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: December 31, 2016, 02:32:31 AM »
Magic Initiate: warlock indeed looks very attractive to the Eldritch Knight.  Hex and Booming Blade are both independent of casting ability score modifiers and fit on any of the listed classes, and Hex is particularly useful on the Eldritch Knight for its number of attacks a fighter gets.

It's a neat trick for a bard I suppose, but a bard has better things to concentrate on than Hex most of the time.  It's a solid choice if you really wanted to make a Lore bard blaster with Eldritch Blast and something like Scorching Ray as a Magical Secret.  I think I'd prefer MI: sorcerer for bard more because Shield is such a fantastic spell to shore up defenses and saves your Bardic Inspiration uses you might have normally used on Cutting Words to protect yourself.

Similarly, I like MI:wizard for ranger because of Booming Blade and Shield.  Hex isn't necessary for a ranger because of Hunter's Mark.

Arcane Trickster is the difficult one to select.  Hex isn't all that hot when you only attack once per turn.  Shield is already available for it and I can't come up with another 1st level spell on the wizard list that would compete for the AT's off-school spell.  I suppose MI for Shield allows a free use of it and opens up the 1st level off-school spell for Find Familiar, which is quite useful for a rogue but isn't as beneficial to have as an extra 1/long rest spell.  It still seems a little fringe because a rogue has a lot of ways to avoid being in a situation that begs for Shield in the first place.

Booming Blade comes out of this looking really good because it makes 3 MIs more attractive.  Even for the AT and EK that could access it anyway, it opens up a default cantrip choice, since it doesn't really matter where Booming Blade is coming from for functionality.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: December 31, 2016, 02:41:38 PM »
(odd thinking , might be the slightly off egg-nog) ...

Cha > Con > Wis > 3 dump stats , on Fighter EK , no that can't work can it ?

Offline TenaciousJ

• AVENGE WAGON
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: December 31, 2016, 03:01:36 PM »
(odd thinking , might be the slightly off egg-nog) ...

Cha > Con > Wis > 3 dump stats , on Fighter EK , no that can't work can it ?

How would you take advantage of War Magic and Eldritch Strike?  You could not rely on weapons for the EK's features without 1 decent physical score.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: December 31, 2016, 03:12:33 PM »
No ?

Magic Initiate: warlock indeed looks very attractive to the Eldritch Knight.  Hex and Booming Blade are both independent of casting ability score modifiers and fit on any of the listed classes, and Hex is particularly useful on the Eldritch Knight for its number of attacks a fighter gets ...

< I did mention egg-nog >

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: December 31, 2016, 04:01:08 PM »
If the EK can spam Hex that's pretty nice and it helps bring it closer to a Champion's nuke. Plus the disadvantage trait of Hex can be pretty useful.