Author Topic: Learning feats and class abilities  (Read 2136 times)

Offline ImperatorK

• Legendary Member
  • Chara did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
    • Kristof Imperator YouTube Channel
Learning feats and class abilities
« on: March 20, 2012, 09:22:27 PM »
I'm looking for suggestions and ideas on what training methods could warriors use to learn their various class abilities and feats. For example how could a martial arts master teach his disciple to perform Power Attack or Cleave? And of course I'm expecting something more than just "He's hitting harder". Lets assume, for the sake of this thread, that even Power Attack requires some amount of technique.
Bonus points for giving me some clever sentences that the mentor could use during the training.
Just pick some feat or class ability and give your idea an how a warrior learns it. Can be self taught or learned from a master, although I'd prefer the second option.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 09:24:59 PM by ImperatorK »
Magic is for weaklings.

Alucard: "*snif snif* Huh? Suddenly it reeks of hypocrisy in here. Oh, if it isn't the Catholic Church. And what's this? No little Timmy glued to your crotch. Progress!"
My YT channel - LoL gameplay

Offline weenog

• View Profile
Re: Learning feats and class abilities
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 09:35:15 PM »
When you can balance a tack hammer on your head, you'll head off your foes with a balanced attack.

I mean...
"Whoops, forgot to roll my fire and holy damage."
"I doubt she's going to make a DC 111 Fort save, anyway."

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 09:42:40 PM »
And why am I wearing watermelons on my feet?

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 09:53:24 PM »
When you can balance a tack hammer on your head, you'll head off your foes with a balanced attack.

I mean...

And why am I wearing the watermelon on my feet?  (This is the 2nd thread in a week with Mystery Men references.  Win.)

I think a problem you'll have with this is that a lot of feats have no real bearing on how stuff actually works in any visualizable way.  Take, for example, Combat Expertise.  It makes no sense -- parrying would be much more intuitive.

For Power Attack, you could interpret it as whipping your blade (or whatever) around at higher speed, getting more impact with less accuracy.

EDIT: Ninja'd.
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 09:27:40 AM »
Alternative for Power Attack, targeting high value targets like the face, neck, gut, etc, rather than going for basic center-of-mass attacks.
Everything is edible. Just that there are things only edible once per lifetime.
It's a god-eat-god world.

Procrastination is the thief of time; Year after year it steals, till all are fled,
And to the mercies of a moment leaves; The vast concerns of an eternal scene.