Author Topic: Why are Undead so hated?  (Read 43600 times)

Offline Captnq

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Haters gonna hate. Dragons gonna drag.
    • View Profile
    • Ask the Captain
Re: Why are Undead so hated?
« Reply #120 on: August 09, 2012, 02:15:35 AM »
Sigh...

Look. Here's how it works.

There is good and evil.
Then there is Law and chaos.
Then there is Bacon and Necktie.

That last one? That's called Blue and Orange Morality, so named because blue and orange are diametrically contrasting colors.

You see, the Bacon-Necktie axis goes right off the page. It goes in and out, not up and down, nor left and right. It might seem chaotic to someone who doesn't understand why Bacon is opposed to necktie, but to those who understand this alien sort of mindset, it makes perfect sense.

Now, the world, the real one, is a bacon-necktie world. You might THINK you understand someone else's morality, but everyone (And I mean EV-REE-ONE) strays off into the bacon-necktie axis just a little bit. It's a subjective world where we have slightly different points of view as to what is good and evil, or lawful and chaotic.

Now, you could rename Bacon-Necktie as Right and Wrong. Bacon is right, Neckties are wrong. Or Blue is right and orange is wrong, or whatever you want to have as your own internal little axis of morality. Right and Wrong has nothing to do with good, evil, law or chaos. Murder is wrong. However, I'd totally murder that guy who shot up that Temple a few days ago. I'd wouldn't even feel bad. On my axis of Bacon-Necktie, That guy is Unbacon and someone totally should have used Smite Necktie on his ass.

Now you can have more then one axis. Or a circle, or a monopole. It's a mental construct. it's whatever you want it to be. That's what the a subjective morality world is like. Here, in the real world, If vampires existed, I don't think we'd have that clear cut Chaotic Evil thing going on.

D20 SPECIFICALLY does not use Blue-Orange morality. It cares about Good, Evil, Law, and Chaos. It is an objective morality universe. It avoids the Mess of Blue-Orange by simply saying it doesn't exist. This was to avoid being called Satanists back in 1st edition (Hey Look! We're Good! See? It's on the CHART!), and over the years the need to appease the Moral Majority has faded, but the game mechanic has remained.

Just... drop it. Okay? There is Law-Chaos and Good-Evil. There is no Bacon-Necktie in d20. Stop trying to add Bacon-Necktie. It doesn't fit
If you have questions about 3.5 D&D, you might want to look at the:
Encyclopedia Vinculum Draconis

Currently: Podcasting

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 09, 2012, 05:12:10 AM »
But...but...there's always room for Bacon!
Hmm.

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 09, 2012, 05:40:17 AM »
Well, the big sticking issues here(barring the ick factor and the undefined matter of souls) are:
-[Aligned] forces are absolute, cosmic embodiments of patterns of behaviour. An [Evil] spell is objectively evil, whether or not you use it to save puppies(though saving the puppies is itself a distinct objective Good).

-[Elemental] forces have no attributable alignment. They are functions, objects and energy. All six elemental forces are not inherently any alignment, though they have purposes which are particularly useful to some alignments(Law appreciates the stability of Earth, but Earth doesn't care how or why its used. Fire and Negative Energy are great for destruction and thus favored tools of Evil(or violence in general), but again have no intrinsic appreciation of the manner of application).

-Undead are commonly [Aligned][Evil] forces manipulating [Elemental][Negative] energies. For those without volition(mindless undead), the effect generating them determines its entire relationship to the cosmic alignments, Evil.
For those with volition, but with undead hungers, they are responsible for their aligned actions and there are pretty few ways to stay in existence while not being evil. The rest, are just their inherent natures, though it must be noted that there is no necessity that the undead that rises from a given body be the same person that died.
Everything is edible. Just that there are things only edible once per lifetime.
It's a god-eat-god world.

Procrastination is the thief of time; Year after year it steals, till all are fled,
And to the mercies of a moment leaves; The vast concerns of an eternal scene.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 09, 2012, 07:19:20 AM »
But...but...there's always room for Bacon Jell-O!

FTFY
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline Sevash

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Can't say I recall why I'm supposed to care.
    • View Profile