Author Topic: Wizards researching spells  (Read 1649 times)

Offline ImperatorK

• Legendary Member
  • Chara did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
    • Kristof Imperator YouTube Channel
Wizards researching spells
« on: January 06, 2014, 11:04:34 AM »
How does a Wizard research new spells, fluff-wise? What goes into the process? Does anyone have any thoughts on this topic? I'm normally not too deeply interested in casters and spells, but soon I might have to. Mechanics aren't a problem, they're just a matter of reading, remembering and understanding them. But there's not much about the magic's fluff, or if there is I don't know where.
Magic is for weaklings.

Alucard: "*snif snif* Huh? Suddenly it reeks of hypocrisy in here. Oh, if it isn't the Catholic Church. And what's this? No little Timmy glued to your crotch. Progress!"
My YT channel - LoL gameplay

Offline NunoM

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
Re: Wizards researching spells
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 05:17:27 PM »
Both the PHB and the DMG will give you pointers on what researching spells needs (either existing spells to add to a spellbook when levelling up, or brand new homebrewed spells). Basically the wizard needs access to a library and other sources of information to complete the research.

However, if you want to add some more fluff to it, you can look at the whole thing as a typical nonmagical scientific experimentation process.
Asides from literature on the matter, impose the need for a lab (ex.: for researching the appropriate material components and reagents), have the wizard rent, use or go to some area where they can practice the gestures needed for the completion of the spell (ex.: a desert, a free room in the local arcane academy).
Also, the magical experimentation process is bound to fail at some point (i.e. mishaps), so a safe environment may be needed to keep innocent bystanders, and the wizard himself, out of harms way.

Just my 2 cents...