Author Topic: Elven Necromancy focused Warlock  (Read 2730 times)

Offline Kasz

• The God-Emperor protects, the Omnissiah provides.
    • View Profile
Elven Necromancy focused Warlock
« on: December 23, 2019, 08:55:14 AM »
I'm building up a character concept based around abusing the Warlock's access to Animate Dead from [Class Feature Variants](https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/class-feature-variants). 

It's tempting to go Hexblade, pact of the blade and pick up heavy armour also from Eldritch Armor.

The reason Elf is elected as essential is for trance, 4 hours sleep, 4 one hour short rests, is (at level 5) is 8 hours and 6 minutes, if you include the 2 minutes per first three rests to cast animate dead twice and maintain control over 24 zombies and then also rest to restore the spell slots for the day. Alternatively you could control 32 zombies, and rely on your auto attacks and cantrips.

Effectively building a fighter with cantrips and 25 attack rolls.

I know this could be multiclassed easily into oathbreaker, or just continue straight warlock for a bigger horde, I'd personally keep going warlock for fun things like Magic Jar while you can have your zombies carry you in a litter and protect your form, and eventually trading up to Create Undead (although that's still a long rest, so less abusable).

Essentially it's a minion master build, absolute nightmare for the DM if the player isn't very prepared I know... but I really enjoy the idea of either a sentient weapon or an improved familiar, and then creating a homunculous, some intelligent undead and a retinue of zombies... plus making the character's own body mostly superfluous with things like magic jar and clone. Clone needs some DM fiat as it isn't on the list, but for a necromancer researching lichdom... it makes sense to try to get access.

Patron wise, undying makes the most sense... even if your patron is simply a Liches diary you're translating over time... it feels weaker than Hexblade though.
Hexblade makes sense if the weapon is imparting this sort of knowledge.

Open to suggestions, but yeah, mostly just want all the pets... like animate dead in the morning, then danse macabre or animate objects during combat.

Offline Surreal

• the former librarian
    • View Profile
Re: Elven Necromancy focused Warlock
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2019, 03:31:22 PM »
Another non-UA method to get Animate Dead is from Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica, and as a background choose the Golgari Guild. There are a lot of very nice spell options available from the various backgrounds.

If you have access to Xanathar's Guide to Everything, then Pact of the Tome along with the Aspect of the Moon invocation means you never have to sleep again.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2019, 04:11:14 PM »
Necromancy

Emperor Palpatine !

Surreal !!

X-mas  :love
sweeet
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline Surreal

• the former librarian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2019, 10:37:26 PM »
Necromancy

Emperor Palpatine !

Surreal !!

X-mas  :love
sweeet

I haven't been around in a while, though just recently started getting my feet wet with 5e. I may not be able to minmax like I used to, but I feel like the Ravnica backgrounds were a nice obscure knowledge drop so I could flex on you whippersnappers  :P

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2019, 04:05:16 PM »
Oh "whippersnapper" eh?
You might not know about my kitty avatar's Tail ... (you might not Want to know about ... )

Warlock 11 / Sorc 2 , slices up the slots into 4 level 3 Animate Deads per Short.
Course that's over-emphasizing the skele HORDE part.

Warlock (still) feels a little same-y above level 5 to me.
Ravnica's pile of spells option helps quite a bit.
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline Surreal

• the former librarian
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2020, 12:04:16 PM »
Oh "whippersnapper" eh?
You might not know about my kitty avatar's Tail ... (you might not Want to know about ... )

Warlock 11 / Sorc 2 , slices up the slots into 4 level 3 Animate Deads per Short.
Course that's over-emphasizing the skele HORDE part.

Warlock (still) feels a little same-y above level 5 to me.
Ravnica's pile of spells option helps quite a bit.

Well if you're going Sorcerer with Warlock/Pact of the Moon... then you're just one step away from Coffeelock shenanigans. Only ever short rest, chop up rechargeable warlock slots and convert to sorcery points, repeat until the DM bonks you over the head because you essentially have an infinite battery.