Author Topic: [D&D] Interest check - Karthun, the Lands of Conflict  (Read 21268 times)

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
[D&D] Interest check - Karthun, the Lands of Conflict
« on: August 06, 2015, 12:06:58 AM »
I've been a fan of the webcomic d20Monkey for a while now, and as soon as the author introduced his homebrew campaign setting, Karthun, I was hooked. The flavor of the world is rich for old school adventure and intrigue, while introducing a lot of elements from other campaign settings that I love (like Forgotten Realms, the Gods walk among mortals, but like Eberron, the focus of the story is entirely on the story of the players as the heroes of the world. Furthermore, magic and technology co-exist and co-mingle to a certain extent). Recently, the creator launched a successful Kickstarter campaign to publish a full, hard-cover book detailing everything needed to run games in this setting, and so of course I jumped at it. Not long ago, a PDF was released for backers with a good amount of text covering lore and other content, sufficient enough to begin running a game.

From the intro:
"Karthun is a world of danger, political intrigue, and adventure where the gods walk among mortals. From monolithic cities where the gods refuse to tread, to the frozen ruins of the giants empire, Karthun is filled with exotic locations, powerful magic, fantastic creatures, and technological marvels both benign and dangerous. Across Karthun, adventurers engage in the political turmoil of royal courts, launch expeditions into the ruins of sunken empires from floating citadels, and discover the truth of some of the world’s oldest secrets. In Karthun, heroes hold court with the gods, shaping their own destiny. Will heroes take to the battlefield in wars between nations, or conversely, strive to end centuries-old wars between nations to bring a new age of peace to Karthun?

It is a dangerous time in the Lands of Conflict and the world needs heroes."

Some basic points:
(click to show/hide)

Critical Maneuvers:
(click to show/hide)

That's just the tip of the iceberg, and this is the setting I want to run my next game in.

What do you say? Karthun needs heroes. Are you in?

The plan is to run this in 5th Edition, making use of my "Red Skies at Morning" subforum to relaunch the game with the new campaign setting and new storyline. If there isn't enough interest, I could run the game in 3.5, though I'm somewhat less comfortable doing so. If that's the case, I might make use of my Maker's Crown subforum.

Starting level is likely to be somewhere from 5-7. Flavorful character concepts are highly encouraged, and can be accommodated with tweaks or other homebrew to support the concept (such as a concept of a Fighter/warrior who prefers to bludgeon enemies with heavy gauntlets rather than fight with a sword or other weapon; in this case, a special weapon would be available which deals more damage than a regular unarmed strike or gauntlet.)

There's a lot more information to share if anyone is interested, but I need some interest first.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 09:39:31 PM by VennDygrem »

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: [D&D] Interest check - Karthun, the Lands of Conflict
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 05:40:28 PM »
Poor poor Maker's Crown, never to live again.  :p

You're a good DM, I like you.  I'll throw my hat in as a potential.  How much do I need to know about Karthun?

I'm fine with whatever edition, right now my big focus has been on Pathfinder so adjusting back to 3.5 or to 5E is about the same for me since the Pathfinder classes I end up playing don't have 3.5 equivalents.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 06:18:36 PM »
Well, is there a character concept or archetype you like from Pathfinder? It shouldn't be difficult to adapt.

Karthun is designed specifically to be system-neutral, so the general fluff can be applied to any tabletop rpg. As for how much there is to know, the fictional "players" in the Webcomic don't really know the setting either. Basically, I will work with each player to to give you any background information you would need to know. I will also post and maintain a world information thread for more general information about the world. More specific things, like secret information, will be shared privately with specific players.

If anyone is looking for a character idea, I've found a lot of fantastic inspiration for character hooks from http://www.whothefuckismydndcharacter.com

I'm playing in my brother's Ravenloft campaign and created a character based on some of those nifty hooks (my character, a way of shadow monk, lost his shadow in a bet. I built that up with other fluff, but it was a really cool idea and my brother has been willing to work with it).

Basically, anything you want to play, we can work with.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 09:40:46 PM by VennDygrem »

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 08:20:32 PM »
I'm fine with 5E (or 3.5 or whatever), I just play weird classes because they're different.  5E is different in and of itself because I haven't done more than flip through books.

By the way, I love that link!  I've had it bookmarked for months.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 09:07:27 PM »
It's great for coming up with random character ideas. When I was trying to make a character for my brother's campaign, I copied the ideas that seemed the most fun into a text file and matched them up with the classes I wanted to play, then finally settled on one.

By the way, one of the coolest changes that Karthun brings is a new game mechanic: Critical Maneuvers. Each character has a unique special attack that is triggered on a natural 20 attack roll (much like a Limit Break from Final Fantasy).

For instance, the above-mention fighter who battles using heavy iron gauntlets has a critical maneuver called Iron Barrage. They channel their connection to the Iron King, unleashing a barrage of melee attacks against their foes (in this case, a number of attacks equal to her strength modifier, +4). Another natural 20 on those attacks adds more attacks up to half the strength modifier, for up to 6 attacks in the character's case.

Another character fights with an ancestral heirloom shortsword, and their critical maneuver is called Sunwalker's Strike, dealing heavy fire damage to all enemies in a wide cone.

In my home tabletop campaign (a standard Eberron campaign), I ported the mechanic over since I love the concept so much. A warlock with an Otherworldly patron had a critical maneuver which functioned thusly:
"Your attack resolves as normal. Darkness creeps upon the ground, from a wall, or above from thin air, and shadowy tendrils emerge to grasp the target. The target is restrained, and must make a saving throw or be frightened. If the target has not broken free of the tendrils after 3 rounds, they are pulled fully into the darkness, transported to an alien realm of unknowable terror. Enemies that pass within 10 feet of the target may also be grabbed by stray tendrils, and must make a dexterity check to avoid being grasped in the same manner. Any target that escapes the tendrils’ grasp is automatically shaken by the experience, imposing disadvantage on all rolls for 3 rounds."

As you can see, the abilities are potent, but they have a very low chance of activating. It helps speed up combat and makes it much more interesting.

For what it's worth, the game I run makes use of the Heroic Spirit mechanic I introduced in the Maker's Crown (and is a much farther-along version of that same campaign). The aforementioned Warlock had telepathy from a class feature of the Warlock class, and I offered the player a chance for a unique character hook. In exchange for their character being blind, they would have blindsight out to the distance of their telepathy. The downside was they couldn't see anything beyond that range. It proved very fun to play around with in-game, though I mention it as an example of how I'm willing to accommodate interesting characters and reward drawbacks with perks.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 11:42:06 PM »
I'm still interested in playing a 5th game, but I gotta be honest I'm already wanting homebrew.

The idea of a real DDO-style artificer struck me as gold, that's where 5th should of went. Partial-caster, runearm, enhances their gear. So fitting.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 11:56:59 PM »
Funny you mention that, as it's exactly the sort of character my brother is playing in my 5E Eberron campaign. He wanted an Artificer who uses a battlefist and buffs himself for combat, so I homebrewed something up for him. It didn't work out so well since he was never satisfied with the mechanics, but we settled on something that works. I can probably backtrack to an earlier version and make some tweaks to get it workable for this game.

Technically, there's no artificers in Karthun the way there are in Eberron (in the way that there are priests, magewrights, wizards, etc.), but that doesn't mean there aren't adventurers or inventors who experiment with magical technology. Your character could definitely be at the forefront of some experimental magic/technology, runearm and all.

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 12:06:46 AM »

The idea of a real DDO-style artificer struck me as gold, that's where 5th should of went. Partial-caster, runearm, enhances their gear. So fitting.

You should look in to the Pathfinder Occultist. I don't have the book yet, but from I hear that's pretty much exactly what it is.
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 12:19:46 AM »

You should look in to the Pathfinder Occultist. I don't have the book yet, but from I hear that's pretty much exactly what it is.

I did an basic overview of that class and the rest of the book here.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2015, 12:43:08 AM »
That actually seems to fit fairly closely with one of the homebrew artificer iterations I had. The first iteration, on the other hand, was based on this third-party PF Artificer at my brother's request. It also didn't go over well (it was so completely unbalanced, you have no idea).

I've already begun revising a new iteration (tentatively called the Runesmith, though I might simply revert back to Artificer). I'll post it here once I've got the basics set in place. Got a bit of inspiration from that Occultist, though it's only a loose inspiration.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2015, 01:19:22 AM »
Oh this sounds amazing, I'm just a bit wary of doing it in 5E as I haven't even tried skimming over that stuff to check it out; just haven't felt interested in poking through it yet haha -_-'

But I've already started honing in on a Bear Clan Elf, likely some archer type build. Cliche'edly simple I know.
Inspired by a concept I never got around to about a PF Hengeyokai with a homebrewed Panda Clan affinity in a Kingmaker game where everybody was gonna be BEARS :D
I also haven't played an archer type practically since I started playing D&D in general and have really been wanting to do that again lately. (Wanting to archery being inspired by that PF PoW martial school for shooting stuff :x )

All the PF ideas is why I'm not sure if want to (or can) follow through with 5e on this yet...

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2015, 09:07:08 AM »
I can always run it as more of a 3.P game, I just have a preference for running 5e right now since I have more general experience running it, and have been running 5e in my home game for a while.

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2015, 09:44:53 AM »
I'd be up for a 3.X game. Wouldn't mind trying 5E either, but currently lack said books.
Hmm.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2015, 11:43:30 AM »
This also interests me, either 3.X or 5e.  Would personally prefer 3.X and play some of my homebrew for a change, but a chance to try out 5e would be nice too.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2015, 01:27:43 PM »
Out of curiosity, which homebrew were you interested in playing?

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2015, 01:54:19 PM »
Something from Tobhou, a Moon Agent, Oni Brawler or Ordinary Magician.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2015, 02:09:33 PM »
I can probably backtrack to an earlier version and make some tweaks to get it workable for this game.
Actually I already have a some notes on my own version, I'm happy to share.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 07:09:30 PM by SorO_Lost »

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2015, 02:59:36 PM »
Oalecamo: unfortunately,  I think most of the Tobhou classes tend to exist at a much more "superhero" level compared to where a character should be in Karthun, and the flavor would largely need to be reworked (though that's not out of the question). It definitely depends largely on what the other characters want to play as well, to ensure a balanced level of power between the group, but it may be more difficult to do with the Tobhou classes. In another general campaign, I'd probably allow them, but probably not this one. If I can keep this game going stable, then I do have plans for another game taking over the makers crown campaign, where one of these classes would fit in just fine.

SorO: I'll take a more extensive look when I get home, but there are definitely some good ideas in there. I'll also post the ideas I had, and we could brainstorm.

All: I think given the setting and other info, I'm going to set this game up as 5E. It'll work better balance-wise for this particular campaign and I've got more recent experience with it, so setting up encounters should be easier for me for now.

Sorry to anyone hoping for 3.X.

That said, some of the 5e classes will be powered up a bit with altered and new abilities on top of the published ones, especially some of the ones perceived as weaker.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 03:04:01 PM by VennDygrem »

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2015, 03:13:20 PM »
Like I said, a cat 5e is fine too. Still didn't get a chance to try that one out in actual play. Looking forward to hearing more about those upgrades. The chance of you starting another campaign in the near future where I could use Tobhou would be a nice bonus.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 03:14:55 PM by oslecamo »

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2015, 06:22:44 PM »
I see what you did there...

As for the upgrades, it depends on the class. Was there a u thing in particular you .ight want to play?

I'll also update with a post regarding certain aspects of the world, such as the Gods.A cleric or Paladin would find this bit very relevant, and those classes probably have a much closer tie to the Gods. They would be able to draw upon their deity's influence for a special boon or ability. Other characters could probably beseech the gods as well,  but without the special hotline connection.

A monk would probably get an upgrade, though that depends on which class path was chosen and certain other aspects of the character's background. They are pretty nice in play when played properly.

And so on and so forth. I'll probably give an overview of the regions as well, in case it ties in closely with a character's background. There are mountainous regions, coastal regions, big cities, floating spires, underground labyrinths, and much more. I can also suggest regions and other aspects, especially for thise looking for character hooks.

And if anyone wants a copy of the campaign setting pdf to browse through on their own, I can provide that as well.