Author Topic: The Forgotten Forge  (Read 16330 times)

Offline Sohala

• Honorary Mod
  • A hammer is all I need.
    • View Profile
Re: The Forgotten Forge
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2011, 12:32:31 PM »
One does not answer to cloaked things in the night, much less work for them.  Tell us more of yourself Myr else One will report.

"I am but a humble messenger today, nothing more, little one." The figure gave another bow with this comment but straitened quickly when asked the next question, "It is odd one of the Flame would label someone in such a way...As to your inquiry, yes I speak of the assailant. She had been rather bothersome to my employer in recent weeks." A slight chuckle escapes the hood of the figure with One's comment. With hands shaking in mock fear, "Report what? That you were talked to by a cloaked figure that you didn't see the face of?"

Resuming its calm demeanor, "If the small talk is out of the way, I would like to finish my duty." It reached a hand into its cloak and pulled out a thin box.

When a warforged shouts "Die you flesh-loving traitor", and subsequently attempts murder, it is rather difficult to draw any conclusion other than an involvement of a warforged supremacist faction.

I will concede the possibility local vegetarians have become entirely too militant.

Chauser moves closer, trying to get a decent look at the box.

“I do not deny that Cutter was a radical of the Lord of Blades, but it still surprises me to hear the phrase from the likes of you.” You can hear a hint of disgust as the figure says this. As you move closer the figure pulls the box back some, “Now, now, lets not get grabby, you should first know this comes with a requirement, ‘All of you, or none of you’.”

For what you can see of the box, it is of fine make, and intricate design.

The kobold feints disinterest in the box.

Marl knows there's always a catch, tell us what it is. And we can consider it. His voice is brimming with excitement, and his fingers are twitching want to touch the box.

Perhaps the're distinct reasons why a group of Warforged is acting like that. Like perhaps some brigand is trying to re-create the slavery of the warforged, perhaps we should look into this?
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2011, 12:35:09 PM »
“It is rather simply. My employeer heard of the events on the bridge and cleared up the small matter with the Watch, now she wishes for a small exchange of services, for fair compensation of course. Her only requirement, is that you all take part, seeing as you are all free…for now.” With that the figure tossed the box into the air…

(click to show/hide)

…When you turn you gaze back to where the figure was, there is no one.

As you are able to get a closer look at the box, you see it is a 12x12x1, and has a seal on the lid, which is presently held closed by a small clasp.

(click to show/hide)

Much to his surprise Sim is the one to catch the box. Holding it carefully in both hands while inspecting it closely yet briefly before slipping it under his cloak.

"Perhaps we should wait until we're in private before giving the box a closer look"

"That is wise."  One looks around.  "Where is a place of privacy?"

The fort the servant of the silver flame spoke off perhaps?

The contents could be dangerous, so we should take our precautions before opening it, it could be a toxic gas for example.

(click to show/hide)

The remainder of your trip is rather uneventful.

Cumulo leads you to the gates of a rather large, well fortified building, which is more a fort than church. Standing within the gate is a lone armored individual, who so far, has not noticed you.

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2011, 12:36:45 PM »
Cumulo walks on in.
Good evening.  There's been a bit of nasty business going on, so I'm putting these folks up in the spare rooms across from mine for the night.  I'll explain the details to Flamebearer Tana in the morning and get his advice.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

The guard gives the group a long look before returning to Cumulo, "They appear of good heart. They may stay the night, beyond that is up to Tana." The guard then waves the group in.

As soon as they are in a secure room. The kobold starts yapping.

So, what's in the box?

I should probably check to make sure it isn't something magically unpleasant first. 

Cumulo puts the box on a table with his gloved left hand, waving the others out of the range of his detect magic.  Focusing intently, he scans the box for any spells.

You are able to detect eight faint magical auras, one of which is the seal on the top of the case; the others appear to come from within.

Spellcraft DC15 for each.
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Within is a folded piece of paper, sealed with wax, stamped with the same seal on the box. Beneath the paper are four identification cases.

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2011, 12:39:39 PM »
It looks like it's probably a big box of arcane marks.  Couldn't pin all of them, but at least five of the eight are.  I'll keep the detect up and open the box - they should light up.

(click to show/hide)

Anyone recognize the marks?

(click to show/hide)

As you flip through the box, you open each of the cases, revealing papers for each of you, including travel papers. Each set of papers carries a seal of House Sivis.

The paper appears to carry the last aura. After breaking the seal, you unfold it to reveal a letter, with a seal at the bottom, identical to the box’s. The letter reads:

“The accompanying papers will declare you agents of House Cannith, use them to gain access to the Gearhead Lounge and find the marked table.”

Well, these are interesting.

Cumulo passes the papers around for the others to look at.

Anyone familiar with the area?

Once it does indeed appear the room is secure, he removes the box from the depths of his cloak. Handing it to Cumulo before he steps back as his new companion begins studying the box. He takes a look at the passed around papers before replying.

"I can't say that I am"

(click to show/hide)

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2011, 12:41:05 PM »
"House Cannith, they are the artificers, right? I've never payed much interest in these mortals pretending to be dragons.

"Yes.  They are.Curiouser and curiouser...

So what do we do? Do we accept the task to be their agents? Where is this gearhead lounge located anyway? Couldn't this be a trap? The kobold starts yapping after thinking for a while

"I'm a bit curious to see where this all ends up, but we should be cauitious. This could indeed be a trap"

"Hrm.  One is curious enough to investigate further, I guess."

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2011, 12:47:13 PM »
In the morning, I will consult with Flamebearer Tana and ask the Flame about the danger a meeting may bring. 

Cumulo gestures to a room across the hall.

I believe there are still repair tools there from the last warforged who visited.  If One finds Oneself in need of repairs, they are free for One's use.

(click to show/hide)

"Ah, One thanks you!"  with a clank, he goes towards that room...

ooc: don't actually need repairs, but a toolkit could come in handy in the future.

(click to show/hide)

You make your ways to the beds Cumulo has offered you. You sleep "peacefully" with no interruptions...

Day 2

Until dawn, when the devotion bell rings.

Cumulo goes to his devotions with cheer!  You have to be a morning person to serve the Silver Flame for any length of time.  He prays for spells in the inner chapel, then heads off to assist Flamebearer Tana with the temple's daily tasks.

As they work, he explains the situation as best he can, answering Tana's infrequent questions as completely as possible.  "I find the timing of these events, immediately as I am sent here, far too convenient to be coincidental.  It seems probable that the Flame is giving this to me as a trial to ready me for greater tasks to come.  As I am inexperienced, however, I will trust your judgment over my own.  What is your advice for the road ahead?"

(click to show/hide)

"If you, yourself believe these events are more than mere happenstance, then I sanctify your endeavors. I hope only that you watch for the Flame and listen for the Wind." The last of the blessing has you somewhat confused, for Tana had never acknowledged the second aspect before now. The look on his face seems to bring some comfort to you though. "Now go my child, and spread the glow of the Flame."

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2011, 12:54:20 PM »
As the morning bell rings, Marl starts by meditating for a short time (psionically focuses himself), then dons his armour and cocks his crossbow.

He waits silently for the others to awake.

Gearhead Lounge - Day 2

The Gearhead Lounge is a small, but well kept, tavern. The large and very detailed carving above the door proclaims it a business run by House Cannith. Outside the doors is a pair of large looking warforged. The second floor extends out enough that they are in the shade.

Turning to the others from their postion in sight of the Lounge. "All right, how do we want to proceed?"

Getting entangled with the dragonmarked houses business could be very dangerous. They do hold a lot of power. Marl is uncertain of which course of action he want to take, since the rewards for helping them could also be great.

Let's choose a course of action - I can ask the Flame how likely it is to be perilous, and we can decide from there.  My vote is to follow along with the instructions we've been given, leaving Marl's crystal companion to watch the outside.

A most decent course of action I say. I just need to hide the crystal somewhere.

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2011, 12:55:29 PM »
Cumulo waits for it to be done, then casts his Omen Of Peril.

(click to show/hide)

Tell me if you are in danger, and of anyone who enters, focus on how many weapons he or she carries, and if he or she carries a book. The kobold transmits to his little friend.

(click to show/hide)

If I'm interpreting my vision correctly, we should be able to meet any challenges we face and grow stronger for it.

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2011, 12:59:32 PM »
(click to show/hide)

One appears somewhat confused about all that is happening outside, "It is not customary to trust your host?"
Sim gives a sneered reply, "I don't know about you all, but I don't trust anyone."

One gives him a side long glance, not sure what to make of the comment.

When you are as small as me, trusting anyone is pretty dangerous. Most civilized people love to kill dragons and steal their hoards anyway, why should they make a difference for a dragon such as myself?

He looks from person to warforged to person.

Now, shall we enter?

"After you." Replied Sim sarcastically.

Whatever.

Cumulo enters, and takes a look around.

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2011, 01:02:51 PM »
The warforged on either side of the door turn their gaze to you. As you cross the threshold, you can feel the IDs given to tingle a moment, but nothing more happens, and the warforged remain where they are standing.

In the building the lighting is dimmer than outside. There seems to be a low murmur with all the conversations and activities going on. Roughly half the tables in the establishment are occupied, with the widest assortment of patrons you have ever seen, ranging from blue goblins to winged humanoids. You could swear the top of one of the patrons seems familiar to something you have read about, but as you think that, it turns around. To your shock (or not) is a grey green humanoid, with tentacles coming from its mouth. Its eyes seem to bore into you, and then it turns its attention back to what it was doing.

Each of the tables has a Cannith seal on it, but not. Each is slightly different from the others in its own way.

Other than a few glances your way, no one looks like they are overly interested in you.

Marl looks around for a mark that matches the mark on the papers given, sometimes jumping to get a good look at the table, since he isn't that tall. He rummage around and tries not to get pushed aside by the larger folk of this tavern.

As soon as he saw the tentacly creature he felt much more secure, if these people allow non-humanoids to work for them, they will probably not mind working with dragons.

It takes you a few minutes of searching, but you eventually find a table with a seal matching yours. It is towards the back, in the more private section, with each table set into a recess with curtain doors. It is presently empty.

"I assume this is where we should meet our soon to be employer"

So should we grab a seat?

Ought to be
Cumulo buys an ale and sits back at the matching table, facing the door.  Even if you plunge into action, no point being stupid about it.

(click to show/hide)

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2011, 01:04:44 PM »
Marl climbs to the seat, not facing the door. Then remembers that he needs something to drink, after using about 15 minutes of trying to get noticed by the barkeep, he finally comes back with some cheap ale.

At this point, an eccentric walks in, and is greeted by one or two people upon his entrance. Lifting the goggles from his eyes and leaving them on his forehead, he takes a quick squint around the bar, his eyes eventually setting on a very specific table. He makes his way casually over, saying hi to one or two others before setting in a chair in the private booth. "Glad you made it here alright. I'm Marllow Bell, and I'll be working with you all shortly. I work for House Cannith."

I'm Marl'Un Gruthi'Kal, but most of you without scales just call me Marl, which I have grown accustomed to. Pleased to be making you acquaintance. The kobold says as he stands on his seat, almost reaching the height of the human with this combined height. Extending his small hand in a gesture as to shake hands.

One speaks up, "You are the one who called us here then?"

"Hey, gears for brains; he said he would be working with us. Anyone who has gone through all this trouble to stay anonymous thus far isn't going to be doing any of the work." Replied Sim.

(click to show/hide)

A tall well muscled man approaches the table. He has a ridiculously over sized sword on his back, a chain shirt, and a helm made of glass or crystal on his head but not touching it. His forearms and calves have long sharp spines on them.
Gentlem.... Humanoids. Are any of your our employer? He holds up a piece of paper that bears the seal matching the that of this particular table. After a moment with no affirmative answer he sighs.
Very well then. I suppose we will either be working together or competing with each other for this job. You may call me Sumabah.  (pronounced soomba like the roomba robot)

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2011, 01:09:14 PM »
-Before Roomba arrives-
I hope you'll tolerate a modicum of distrust from us; for all we know the whole assault could have been a setup.  The guards *did* respond unusually quickly, and although Cannith has a good reputation it wouldn't be the first time one of the Houses involved outsiders in some byzantine mechanizations.  My oaths do not forbid underhanded activity, but I'm going to need to see a little more information before I agree to go along with you.

Cumulo mentally focuses for a second.  The shapesand slowly crawls out of the jug on his back, forming a thin layer over his skin.  Nothing obviously noticeable occurs until pale, frostlike markings start faintly covering Cumulo's body.

(click to show/hide)

Seeming to walk out of no where, a figure starts heading towards your table. Their features are concealed by a well made dark blue hooded cloak. The figure's appearance seems to animate one of the bartenders, as he hurries about, grabbing a few pitchers and glasses, and then rushing over to the table. A simple nod from the figure sends the bartender on his way. The content of the pitchers appears to be ale, wine, and water.

From under the hood a soft but clear voice can be heard, "It would appear you are all here." As the figure says this, they close the curtains around the alcove, and then lowers their hood. The person beneath it is a human female that has delicate features, dark blue eyes, and sleek black hair bound with silver and turquoise ornaments. She wears a signet ring of House Cannith on her right ring finger. "We have important business to discuss that relates to the unfortunate death of Bonal Geldem. Please, drink what you will." She said gesturing towards the pitchers.

(Knowledge (local 15):
(click to show/hide)

"I have been working with Provost Geldem to recover a family heirloom," Lady Elaydren explains. "We were to meet last night, but as you know, he never made it. I learned from the Watch what had transpired, and so sent one of my men to track you down." She continues. "The heirloom, according to family legends, was locked away in a foundry that dates back to pre-Galifar Sharn. Poor Bonal believed he discovered the location of the foundry in an ancient House Cannith journal. I was going to fund an expedition to go to the site, but without Bonal..." Her voice trails off. Then she leans close. "Perhaps you would be willing to recover the heirloom for me. For a generous reward, of course."

Sounds like an intriguing endeavor.  I am curious, though, as to who would have a motive in preventing him from relocating the heirloom.  Is it possible that someone else has restarted work at the lost foundry for their own ends?
(click to show/hide)

A look of worry crosses the lady's face, "My contacts have been unable to determine if the murder of Geldem is related to his recent research or just his affiliation with House Cannith. We do know that in either case, the warforged involved in the act was a servant of the Lord of Blades."

It sounds as if the tin men didn't want this foundry found. All the more reason to find it.

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2011, 01:11:26 PM »
The worry only increased as she continued, "There is but a minor problem. Geldem never shared with me the location of the foundry, nor was there anything on his person with any clues as to its location."

"Even I have a small forge workshop within House Cannith's many walls. Did he happen to have a work location in-city? That might be an excellent place to start working on discovering any secrets he might have held. Do we even have authorization to search his belongings, though...." Marllow has an odd way of being quite still and silent, up until a single moment of action. After which, naturally, he sinks quietly back down. Its odd characteristic like that, and his odd way of never seeming to blink often enough, that give him a slightly less-than-human aura.

Did he have any apprentices or other close confidants who might be helpful?  I assume that attempts to extract information from his body proved ineffectual.

(Isn't noticing Marrlows non-human flaws, because he doesn't blink either)
Searching his belongings seems like a decent plan to follow. If nothing else it could give us a clue to whether they have been searched before.

After that he sits still for a while while he transmits to his psi-crystal: >>Are you allright?<<

She replies to each of your questions in turn. "He had a small room for housing adjoined to the Morgrave University, but it has been thoroughly searched, by able hands, with no results."

"His last apprentice left his service over a year ago, other than that, I thought I was the only one to truly follow his research. As to questioning his deceased corpse...as disturbing as such an action is, it proved a failure."

The lady sighed, "If only we could find his journal...he kept most of his notes in it...but his killer must have grabbed it while trying to steal his belongings and lost it in the fall."

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2011, 01:13:13 PM »
His killer was the tin man who tried to fly?

Well my lady I accept you task as an opportunity to prove myself and grow. If the rest of you are in as well I think we should start by searching the area around the scene of the crash.

"As a member of House Cannith, my participation is not optional, and I serve gladly. Sumabah's selection is sound, and of course any leads on the journal should be investigated thoroughly.

"Is there any other lead we have to go on, m'lady? Just so that we are fully prepared for this task. Even if it is only speculation."

She gives a nod to your acceptance and answers your question. "Yes, they are one and the same."

"None that I am aware of."

One had been silent until now, unsure if to speak or not, but the mention of the book compelled him to speak, "Didn't we find a bo-" he is cut short as he grunts, and a confused look appears on his metal face.

The lady perked up at One's comment, but questioned its abrupt ending. "Found a what?"

(click to show/hide)

"Anything you've found will make this go a lot faster. Have you happened across a book?"

Marl looks over his shoulder towards the door, look for the person with "bow on belt" if the description proves incomplete, he asks for a description of their clothes.
>>Thank you friend, keep me updated, if anyone touches you contact me immediately, so I can protect you<<

He returns to the conversation at hand.
This mystery intrigues me, I am willing to lend a hand if my troubles get compensated. And yes, we should perhaps search and question at the scene of the crash, but I doubt it would be tremendously useful.

Remembering the book Marl says:
Oh yeah who was it that kept that? The one with the Mithril lining, should we take a look on it. It is magical, so useful knowledge could be inside it.

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2011, 01:34:21 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Sim let out a heavy sigh, reached into his bag, and then tossed the book from the day before on the table. "Here." He then crossed his arms, staring dagger at One.

Shock is clear on the lady's face, "You found it! But where?"

"It may have been on the bridge before the Watch got there..." Replied Sim.

Not even seeming to be worried about the last comment, she snatches up the book. Her signet ring and the mithral threads on the cover glow in unison as she takes hold of the small book. When she opens it, the blank pages immediately begin to fill with delicate script and line drawings. She turns to a specific page, studies it for a moment, and then pulls a folded map from inside her cloak. “The location of the lost foundry is deep within the Dorasharn Tower,” Lady Elaydren proclaims. “Fifty-seven levels below the tower’s present-day sewer system. My offer is one thousand gold pieces and the good will of my house if you recover the heirloom and return it to me. Is that agreeable?”

In for a copper in for a platinum. I already agreed but this makes it even more worthwhile.

Those terms certainly sound agreeable.

Having lost any sense of an upper hand, Sim replies, "I suppose, as I am not busy, I could help out."

Seeing everyone else agree to the terms, One pipes up, "I will help too."

"Very good." She pulls out a sack of from her cloak, dropping it onto the table with a loud clink, "You will be needing these as well." She drops two folded pieces of parchments onto the table beside the sack. "If there are no other questions, you may be on your way, don't worry about your tab." She goes back to reading the book as the curtain seems to part on its own.

Something like this was good for the house, so Marllow was pleased. He noted the feeling mentally, then took up one of the pieces of parchment. "Thank you m'lady. I've been asked to accompany them on this endeavor, so I too will take my leave." With that, he starts for the door, reading the parchment on the way.

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2011, 01:36:43 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Sumabah follows Marllow.

Marl follows, activating his Psi-Crystal on his way out and picking it up.

As One and Sim make to leave, a look of sudden surprise crosses your host's face, "You two," Pointing at Sim and One, "I would ask you to remain."

*Sigh* "What is it now? Did we do something wrong?" Questioned Sim.

"No, there just may be may be more to this than I first thought." Seeing Cumulo still sitting at the table, "Inform the others that these two will not be joining in your venture."

(click to show/hide)
Cumulo flips the appropriate waitstaff a copper and starts heading out. 

Excuse me, One, but do you know anyone we can talk to about what Old Gerald was working on?  It might be best for you to do a separate investigation - at a sensitive time like this, it might be prudent not to have a bunch of highly visible strangers asking questions.  We'd both be working on the job together, obviously, but having us run interference in the riskier parts of the investigation will make your efforts far more effective.

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2011, 01:40:59 PM »
"One has talked to many on similar subject, but none were conclusive." Replied One.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

"So, what brings you all into this? I'd assume your collective and individual resume's brought you to focus on this task, in which case I'll do my best to support you all." His backpack is oddly shaped, and seems to be constructed with cylinders in mind, as mostly it appears to be a small central sack surrounded with tubes of leather.

I were attacked by a stranger, who brought me to investigate the matter. Also, making new acquaintances in a city as big as Sharn is always a good idea.

Marl says as he walks towards the exit.

Cumulo finishes heading to the exit, carrying the stuff.

You all, minus Sim and One, exit the tavern without incident, finding it still sunny. The warforged at the door give you only a passing glance.

Marl is able to retrieve his companion in short order.

(click to show/hide)

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2011, 01:43:13 PM »
So should we find this Dorasharn tower and jump off the ledge to get down? Marl asks the others.

57 levels below the sewer is a long way to fall. I don't know if I particularly trust the feather fall of the bridges to last that long. I think we should find a way to climb down, unfortunately that probably means walking in shit.

"I wouldn't be aware of a stairwell that would aid us, but then again I don't oft make the trip." Marllow doesn't seem particularly repulsed by the idea, but he does seem to look confused everytime Marl speaks.

(click to show/hide)

I've heard the bounty hunters will occasionally attempt to collect on criminals hiding down below.  I assume that implies a fairly easy method of transportation up and down.  Has anyone heard of such a thing?

"If we can't figure out that part, I've no doubt a bounty hunter would be able to assist us. Alternatively, we could always question likely people, if we can find common enough areas."

(click to show/hide)

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2011, 01:45:05 PM »
As I am not from here, I don't know where we should begin searching for a way down there. Are any of you locals?
(click to show/hide)

I am new to this city; as such, I don't have much in the way of contacts.  Either of you know where to start?

(click to show/hide)

As long as going into the undercity is not illegal, I suppose we could ask someone from the watch?

Cumulo points at the map.  Or see if we can get out through this door in Dorasharn tower.  Given that it's a sewer there, we'll probably need some protection from diseases... I've heard that serren wood can serve as a  protective amulet.

Pointing at Cumulo, Marrlow states, "Good information, we will prioritize defenses and intelligence. I doubt anyone from my House would have an information on a lower tier, so let us consult the watch. Where could we find this wood, and is it ideal for our budget and needs?"

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2011, 01:59:58 PM »
Part Two: Into the Depths
Dorasharn Tower - Day 2

(click to show/hide)

You are able to follow the detailed map with reliative ease and without incedent, though the walk takes several hours, leaving it close to midafternoon.

As you near the location marked on the map, the tunnels and corridors start to narrow and and become dark. An occasional window slit looks out upon the crowded walls and foundations of other towers, and infrequently placed torches sputter here and there, giving off pallid pools of light and clouds of smoke. Even so, rough and dirty people crowd the narrow corridors, and the smell of sweat and sewage permeates the stale air.

One tunnel opens onto a large chamber, where a mix of goblins, humans, and shifters gather around a small pile of garbage spread across three rotting blankets. One of the goblins shouts, “No pushing! No pushing! There’s always enough for everyone at the Rat’s Market!”

Marl smiles as he walks over there to get a good look at all the garbage on the blanket, might be something useful.

(click to show/hide)

The garbage is of a nice variaty, for garbage, ranging from rotten food to broken tools, but you do spot a few items that may hold a little bit of value. Among them you see a sunrod, a dented bell, a scratched steel mirror, and if you are not mistaken a coil of rope.

"Do we need any rope?" he yells back to the others. Seeing the sunrod as a rather worthless human toy, and the rest of the things as completely worthless civilized mumbo jumbo.

It never hurts to be prepared. I say grab it.

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage