Author Topic: Interesting Title Here  (Read 16960 times)

Offline ShadowViper

• Don't go looking for snakes, you might find them.
    • View Profile
Interesting Title Here
« on: November 15, 2011, 06:40:47 PM »
This character is the main villian for my current campaign that I am planning. This would be in his "early" years after he just unlocked a secret in his blood.

As for mechanics, he'll be a Pathfinder(3.P) Mature Adult Green Dragon. As for appearance, he'll look like the "classic" 3.5 Green Dragon(don't really like Pathfinder's new dragon appearances or the 4E Green Dragon).

I'm in the early stages of building him(about time I've gotten around to it heh.)
I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-Kiri rock! I need scissors! 61!

" 'Giving up' kills people. When a person refuses to give up, he earns the right to walk down the road of humanity." - Alucard

Offline ShadowViper

• View Profile
Re: Interesting Title Here
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 06:44:08 PM »
(This post will be updated).

System: 3.P - Pathfinder.

Party Role: Undecided at the moment, we'll see how his abilities and spell selection pans out.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 05:40:45 PM by ShadowViper »
I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-Kiri rock! I need scissors! 61!

" 'Giving up' kills people. When a person refuses to give up, he earns the right to walk down the road of humanity." - Alucard

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 09:27:07 PM »
Looking forward to seeing it!  Should be fun.  :D
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 07:28:11 PM »
Just letting you know that most everyone else is nearing completion... do you have an ETA?

Offline ShadowViper

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 09:29:12 PM »
Not at the moment, I'm a bit busy so I'm working on it as fast as possible. But it should not be too long.

Offline ShadowViper

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 11:15:21 PM »
Do Dragons get the usual PC +1 Ability Point per 4 HD?

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 11:21:27 PM »
I would think that would be included in the write up, don't you?

Offline DonQuixote

• Epic Member
  • What is sickness to the body of a knight errant?
    • View Profile
    • The Spellshaping Codices (Homebrew Board)
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 11:25:40 PM »
From Monster Manual:

Ability Score Improvement: Whenever a monster reaches a number of Hit Dice divisible by 4, it improves one ability score by 1 point. For example, a lammasu of 7 Hit Dice increased to 14 Hit Dice gains an ability score improvement at 8 HD and another one at 12 HD.  Monsters do not gain ability score increases for levels they “already reached” with their racial Hit Dice, since these adjustments are included in their basic ability scores.
“Hast thou not felt in forest gloom, as gloaming falls on dark-some dells, when comes a whisper, hum and hiss; savage growling sounds a-near, dazzling flashes around thee flicker, whirring waxes and fills thine ears: has thou not felt then grisly horrors that grip thee and hold thee?”

Offline ShadowViper

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 11:51:19 PM »
That's what I was thinking as well.

Normally have just given the +1 bonus per HD to character class advancement.

Stat Block is almost done, just have a few things to add/decide on.

So the crunch should be done tomorrow. Backstory/Personality/Fluff need a bit more fleshing out but not much, this character as been in my mental notepade for quite some-time, just need to figure out/decide on the specfics really.

Just going with all Pathfinder rules to make everything easy(besides they're an improvement on 3.5 any-way).

Offline ShadowViper

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 06:03:19 PM »
Honestly, not sure how well this campaign is going to work out for me. It's starting to feel a bit like homework(which is bad for a fun hobby). It's best to work on character's at one's leisure as inspiration comes, but I don't want people waiting on me.

Also the campaign just seems all over the place with little to no information given in most cases. We as players only have the basic premise to work with, and basic information(like char-gen stuff) has to be hunted around for and isn't listed in it's own thread. It would be nice to have character generation rules(for example) listed in a single thread rather than having to look through other threads to collect the info.

Us as players seem to be required to do fair sized backgrounds and even personalities sections. But what about the campagin world?

What type of organization/empire is this exactly? Evil Organization/Empire is pretty broad after all.

Where is this organization located? What world? What reality? Where can one find the Empire?

Also something that kinda irked me from the beginning, why a private forum? Why needlessly complicate things by making it a private forum? Not everyone knows about membergroups after all.  ;)

And lastly, how does this Empire/Organization know about all of our characters? Or how are our characters going to hear about them? I realize this'll likely be different for each character, but honestly: (For example) How would a sith lord from a galaxy far far away hear(or be contacted) about the organiazation's/empire's need? The mixing of genres also concerns me a bit.

I know I'm probably overthinking(which I seem to have a habit of doing) all of this and for that I apologise, but personally as a player I like to have a good understanding of the campagin before I jump fully into it and spend time working on and writing out everything(his background and personality are already in my mental notebook for the most part. After all he is the main villian for the irl campagin I'm currently putting together/working on). I also feel a bit late to the party and just don't want people waiting on me.

Also this is my first time building a dragon PC(only built two dragon NPCs previously), and while I've done alot of reading and feel I know a decent amount about D&D, there's alot of things I haven't had the chance to do in practice. Playing an actual "true" high-powered campagin is one of them.

I'd like to continue I really would, but chiefly, I do not want people waiting on me and I don't want my lack of practice getting anyone's character/s killed.

I'm still a D&D noob for the most part, there's still a ton of stuff from me to learn and actually play in practice rather than just having read about it. I'm certainly not an uber-optimizer.

The primary statblock is almost done. Just have HP to do(average okay?), gear and spell selection needs finished up.

But if everyone's done and it's better I bow out, I understand.  :)

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 08:53:07 PM »
Wow, okay there's a lot here to respond to.  First off, I totally understand where you're coming from.  I didn't mean at all to put you under pressure -- it was more of a ping since I hadn't heard anything from you and others were moving forward (I've heard even less from carnap).  We probably won't start for a little while, because phaedrusxy is going on vacation for a week, so you have some leeway :)  Since you were a relatively late addition to the party, and I hadn't interacted with you as much as some of the others, I wanted to make sure you were still involved.

In terms of the campaign setup (secrecy, complication, etc.)...  I said in the general campaign notes that this started off as a series of "bring your favorite character to a convention" games, so generally what would happen is people would bring prebuilt characters with well-developed backgrounds and personalities, characters they'd played a dozen times before as PCs or NPCs.  I would spend some time getting to know each character, and do some individual RP to bring everyone up to speed; we always ended up with really flavorful, awesome parties full of quirky, interesting, and effective characters.

I've been trying to recreate that atmosphere here, including the part where people would prep their characters based on a short blurb in a convention booklet and no other information (I actually expanded the existing blurb for my recruitment post, it used to be shorter).  I wanted the players to get to know their characters in detail before we put everyone together in a party, because the better you all know your characters, the richer the experience is going to be for everyone.  I wanted characters that made the players happy because they were their own, and hadn't been built to some specification for a campaign.

Also, the character generation guidelines were intentionally vague since I didn't want to lock anyone into a particular system (as it turns out we got almost all 3.5 builds, but that rarely happened IRL), and I additionally didn't want to discourage someone from playing because their favorite character wouldn't have fit the (honestly, arbitrary) guidelines.

I can give you some information (or at least some guidance) about the setting if you really want to... but I've been intentionally vague there as well since this campaign is going to have extremely varied settings after the first scenario.  I can give you a little preview that I gave Tshern as well: there's going to be Spelljammer and Planescape, so almost anything is up for grabs.  That's also what allows me to bring characters in from wildly different backgrounds-- it's an overly cosmopolitan and inclusive campaign.

The way the Empire hears about you and you get involved is what I've been individually roleplaying (in spoilers), and it's the point of having individual chargen threads, so each character can get special treatment with minimal railroading.

As for the private forum... it's possible it wasn't necessary, but since I've never run this in PbP before I wanted to play it safe.  No offense, but it'll be more fun for everyone if I leave it at that.  :D

Anyway... the long and short of it is that I (and the others, I'm sure) would be happy to have you stay, but if you feel overwhelmed than I totally understand.  This style of campaign is not for everyone.  Don't worry about your inexperience weighing everyone down -- for one thing, it's my job to make sure that doesn't happen and everyone has fun, and for another, barring everything else you guys are high enough level already to cast Resurrection.  ;)

So, let me know if you'd like to stay or go.  If you'd like to abstain and observe for a while, that's okay too -- as I said, there will be opportunities to add you in at a different time, and I'm very good at being adaptable.

Offline DonQuixote

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2011, 09:04:29 PM »
Don't worry about your inexperience weighing everyone down -- for one thing, it's my job to make sure that doesn't happen and everyone has fun

For another, I'll point out that I had never picked up a D&D rulebook until fourteen months ago.  I have played in a grand total of two campaigns, one of which went from level one to level ten, and the other of which was E6 gestalt.  I'm just as inexperienced as you, but do you know what "inexperienced" means?  It doesn't mean "incompetent"--it just means that we haven't had as much experience yet.  That's all.
“Hast thou not felt in forest gloom, as gloaming falls on dark-some dells, when comes a whisper, hum and hiss; savage growling sounds a-near, dazzling flashes around thee flicker, whirring waxes and fills thine ears: has thou not felt then grisly horrors that grip thee and hold thee?”

Offline ShadowViper

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2011, 11:28:08 PM »
I'd like to stay of course, I just didn't want anyone to be waiting on me or holding the campaign up(and I didn't want to feel "forced" to work on it either), but if someone is going to be on vacation for about a week, that gives me more than enough time!  :D

Thank you for the understanding.

Offline ShadowViper

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2011, 05:34:54 AM »
Stat-blocks should be all but done except for finishing gear and naming him.

Please check the Humanoid form block for anything left in that depends on form/body. His ability scores do not change.

Heh, naming a Dragon; Just use the Draconic Alphabet, correct?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 05:39:39 AM by ShadowViper »

Offline Harald

• wielding a 30 Tons Tank as an improvised flail.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2011, 05:44:06 AM »
Looking for a name ? something with many harsh sounds and many x's should do. How about Xixian'th, Markysax, Uragor ?
"-Lady-Captain, we detect 20 hostile vessels against us,  and Erasmus Haarlock's Spear of Destiny ! What are your orders ?
-RAMMING SPEED !

final result : 6 slaughts vessels, 4 imperial frigates, 2 imperial cruisers destroyed. Haarlock sent into the warp. 0 losses. Flawless Victory.

Offline ShadowViper

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2011, 12:51:53 AM »
I'll probably just combine words in the Draconic Alphabet found within the Dracononomicon.

But thank you for the suggestion. Of course your characters may never hear his true name.  :D

Offline dna1

• PbP Game Master
  • Sage of Herbology
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2011, 12:56:12 AM »
Just pick something that sounds cool :D   I remember I made a Dragon as the Major BBEG in one of my games, I decided on the name: Anthraka ~ Which is Draconic for SwampStalker. Feel free to use that, also a Dragon in an Anime I like is named Igneel. Though that seems more like a fire type dragon...
Anyways, Good Luck
:D
Roses are Red. Gaming is fun. You're over encumbered and cannot Run.

Offline ShadowViper

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2011, 09:57:17 PM »
Been up to recently? He's spent the last 90 years or so(give or take a few years), under the guise of a traveling sun elf adventurer, training with a Moon Elven sword master and fellow students. Before actually adopting the Sun Elven form, he spent a good deal of time(about a decade) in various animal forms just watching the elf community and observing the training sessions. His amulet of Mind Blank keeping him from being found out.

Think I'm ready to move forward for the most part. Backstory and Personality can always be done later(besides aren't they supposed to be found-out through roleplaying?  ;) ). Items currently in process and should be done very shortly. Items pretty much done except for like 31K, any suggestions?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 02:10:41 AM by ShadowViper »

Offline DonQuixote

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2011, 02:31:36 AM »
Seventy-seven tree feather tokens.

Seventy.

Seven.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2011, 09:17:29 AM »
Seventy-seven tree feather tokens.

Seventy.

Seven.

:lmao

OK Shadowviper, I think you're the last one to be brought in (barring carnap's resurrection), so I'm not going to bother putting in the disclaimer or the spoilers.  dna1, don't read any further posts until after you're done (which should be shortly).

EDIT: Actually, that's not quite true.  Can you give me just a little background about the campaign world?  Specifically, other than dragons and elves, what's the status of other non-humanoid monsters?  How does he feel about slavery?