Author Topic: PC Gen  (Read 4490 times)

Offline kitep

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Lookout World!
    • View Profile
PC Gen
« on: November 26, 2013, 08:28:22 PM »
Does anybody use PC-Gen?  I remember trying it out a long long time ago, but apparently decided doing things by hand was better for some reason, though I can't remember why.  I assume it's because it includes SRD stuff, but not most 3.5 stuff.

Are there data sets available for all of 3.5?  What are people's thoughts and experiences?

Thanks.

Offline X-Codes

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • White, Fuzzy, Sniper Rifle.
    • View Profile
Re: PC Gen
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 02:23:00 AM »
Is that the thing that came on the CD with my PHB?

I used it when I didn't really understand the game, yet.  It's a pretty limited tool, maybe a nice visual interface for new players to walk through char gen with SRD material, but not much more than that.  If I know exactly what I want to do with a character, I just want to write it down and not bother with a frilly UI.

Offline kitep

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Lookout World!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 10:23:18 AM »
That's the WOTC PC generator, but it's not the one I had in mind.  The one I'm thinking of is an open source project that actually goes by the name PCGen.

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 12:41:22 PM »
they cleared out the available 3.5 data sets, iirc. you'll have to find one somewhere online, in an archive, or make your own.  and if you find any of the original ones, you'll still have to fix it, and finish it.

Offline kitep

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Lookout World!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 05:12:02 PM »
Thanks.  Doesn't sound like it's worth the hassle for the few times I might actually use it.

Offline dirkformica

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 07:05:01 PM »
For automated char gen, I use Hero Forge.  It's a spreadsheet where you can select which source material you want to include and it generates character sheets based on your inputs. It's not perfect but it makes character building faster and easier for me.

Offline kitep

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Lookout World!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 09:54:34 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion.

Offline Sjappo

• View Profile
    • Home Sweet Home
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 04:27:28 PM »
I've used PCGen for years and I'm quite the fan. It is an incredibly powerful tool and if you have some programming or scripting experience not very hard to customize. Is is supported by a community that is very much alive and always willing to help.

That said it is not plug and play. If you go outside core, and who doesn't, you need some customization. I find the coding a very satisfying part of the whole character development proces but not everyone will agree. I've build quite an extensive library of classes, races, feats and whatnot over the years.

It may be possible to find non OGL material for PCGen online somewhere but of course I didn't look for it ;)
"You know you count as artillery when it would be easier to use divination magic to locate your target than a spot check"

Offline BahamutDragon

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 05:18:03 PM »
Mates,

I registered and jumped through the hoops to reply. I am making books for pcgen, I too am a big fan. I'm focused on 3.5 edition, but have branched out to support others:

4e - working on getting this working
D&D Next - Play test just for kicks and giggles
Monte Cook's World of Darkness - d20 take on World of Darkness
Blue Rose Campaign Setting (True20)

3.5 is where my main focus is, I have all three core rule books, and several of the Complete Series. I'm finishing up Tome of Battle, and getting a 3.5 version of Oriental Adventures.

If you are interested in helping me out, check out my repo - https://github.com/BahamutDragon/pcgen or drop me a line.

Best,