Author Topic: Affiliations Discussion  (Read 28893 times)

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Affiliations Discussion
« on: July 10, 2012, 04:51:05 PM »
Killraven unsanctioned job thingy should clarify that it only counts unsanctioned jobs performed while you're already a member. Otherwise, any two-bit thief will probably be hundreds in the negatives before even finding the recruitment poster.

Edit: To clarify a bunch of things, how easy are the various affiliation scores supposed to be to get to, and around what level are you supposed to meet them trivially/with some effort/with heavy focus?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 04:53:04 PM by Garryl »

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
Re: Affiliations Discussion
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 05:00:49 PM »
Killraven unsanctioned job thingy should clarify that it only counts unsanctioned jobs performed while you're already a member. Otherwise, any two-bit thief will probably be hundreds in the negatives before even finding the recruitment poster.

Edit: To clarify a bunch of things, how easy are the various affiliation scores supposed to be to get to, and around what level are you supposed to meet them trivially/with some effort/with heavy focus?

Yes.  And, um... I dunno?  I've never played with affiliations before, really.
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 06:02:41 PM »
Don't forget to mark the repeatable affiliation score rewards as such (I think it's usually something like "+X each time" or are under a "Multiple Use" category). If you want to see some of the published affiliations to check yourself with, there are two online (and a few more that got lost in the 4E transition). But I think I've mentioned those already before.

By the way, score 3 and lower is supposed to mean that you are a member of the group, just not a very significant member. People who aren't members of the affiliation flat-out aren't members, regardless of their score.

Some comments. Most of the affiliations appear unfinished, having either insufficient ways of gaining affiliation score or minimal affiliation benefits.
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 09:47:56 PM by Garryl »

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 06:10:27 PM »
Thanks so much G... I've been worried about these.  Editing shall come, when you are finished!

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 09:48:20 PM »
Got down to Killraven, but I don't really feel like doing any more tonight.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 09:35:19 AM »
Another thought about the Brotherhood of Redemption. They deal with redeeming evil, but any evil done carries nasty score penalties. Anyone redeemed will likely be hundreds, if not thousands, in the negatives.

Suggested alternatives:
(click to show/hide)

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 09:53:50 AM »
Ability to cast divine spells: +1

Worships a deity: -1

Um, what?  These two nullify each other for quite a few characters, and you can't expect all divine casters not to worship a deity.  Perhaps saying that worshiping an evil deity would be the -1, and a good +1 or something?

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 10:03:35 AM »
a) The Brotherhood of Redemption is specifically described as being tolerated by the Church of the Dark God because they DON'T espouse the tenets of any deities.
b) Most divine spellcasters in this setting who aren't evil won't be worshipping any deities, anyways. Divine spellcasters who worship deities other than the Dark God suffer rather significant spellcasting penalties. Note that the penalty only applies to spellcasters who actually worship deities. So, this being Gratis, I think it's pretty reasonable for most divine spellcasters to not worship a deity.

Besides, these are just suggestions. Sirp's got the final call, after all.

Edit: On a related note, perhaps the setting-specific house rules should be listed in the house rules thread instead of buried in the setting info thread. Keep the rules all in one place.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 10:05:07 AM by Garryl »

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 10:27:28 AM »
I guess I interpreted it slightly differently.  I took "The Church of the Dark God tolerates the existence of the Brotherhood since they do not espouse a particular religion..." to mean that they don't favor any particular deity, but do have their own kind of doctrine.  I can't see them looking down upon someone for believing in a good deity that works with their views, but maybe you know more about the setting than I do.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 10:46:48 AM »
Edit: On a related note, perhaps the setting-specific house rules should be listed in the house rules thread instead of buried in the setting info thread. Keep the rules all in one place.

Good call, will do.

As for the Brotherhood vs worshipping thing:

I guess I interpreted it slightly differently.  I took "The Church of the Dark God tolerates the existence of the Brotherhood since they do not espouse a particular religion..." to mean that they don't favor any particular deity, but do have their own kind of doctrine.  I can't see them looking down upon someone for believing in a good deity that works with their views, but maybe you know more about the setting than I do.

This is correct.  I'll tinker with what you gave me, G.

To all, I'll start with the affiliation edits today.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 03:03:25 PM »
Ok, time to look at the Delvers. Here are some ideas.

(click to show/hide)

Stiff rank (4+) should give access to the waystations (probably just the locations of some of the ones near where the character will be exploring).

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 03:06:20 PM »
Ok, time to look at the Delvers. Here are some ideas.

(click to show/hide)

Stiff rank (4+) should give access to the waystations (probably just the locations of some of the ones near where the character will be exploring).

Awesome!  It's such a huge relief to have someone helping me with those...  I'm going to nominate you for most helpful homebrew critiques.

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 04:08:34 PM »
On affiliations:
(click to show/hide)

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2012, 04:22:43 PM »
City Watch here. I'm skipping Inverted Pyramid for now because I can't get a good sense of them other than "mysterious wizards".
I'm not entirely sure where the Watch fits into politics and how the criminal factions and the rebellion relate to the Watch, so please tweak those parts.

(click to show/hide)

As I said before, I'd remove the requirement of 60 hours/week of patrolling. It's a pretty large time constraint for adventurers. Instead, I'd move it to one of the score bonuses.

On a related note, +2 attack +1d6 damage vs nonhumanoids and confirmed non-citizens means you're getting boosts against almost everyone (only Humanoids are exempt, and only if they're citizens).
I might also add something for the Lieutenant rank (removing charges against citizens is nice, but lacks the mechanical advantage, if very minor, that affiliations are supposed to grant).
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 04:34:40 PM by Garryl »

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2012, 05:31:10 PM »
Skipping the Sisterhood of Silence for now. Expect considerable overlap between this and the Watch.
Technically, there should be two versions of the affiliation: One for the silent sisters, and one for their eunuchs.

(click to show/hide)
... to be continued?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 08:26:36 PM by Garryl »

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2012, 05:47:04 PM »
This is the Magi?

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2012, 08:15:08 PM »
Yeah, Magi. I kinda walked away in the middle of that, although I don't think I have anything to add right now.

Edit:
For the Delvers, I'd remove the affiliation penalty for killing other Delvers. Most of that should fall under actively preventing exploration of the Dungeon, anyways, and it should be possible to fight other Delvers (especially what with the High Arcana games). I'd also like to see a more granular granting of benefits (see the revised Brotherhood of Redemption for a good example).

For the Watch, you've got +1/feat on the Lawful alignment line.
I might only give the 100g/month salary at Constable when you actually do some active duty (say, 30-40 hours/week; the Watch appreciates individuals willing to put in the extra effort, but not enough to pay them more).
Sergeant and Lieutenant need revamping. Having some fixed-level cohorts just isn't fun if that's all you get.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 08:33:58 PM by Garryl »

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2012, 08:55:42 PM »
Praesidio Arcanum, the gish guild.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2012, 09:17:18 PM »
Church of the Dark God
I'm having a bit of trouble with this one.

(click to show/hide)

Offline TravelLog

• Gunslinger, Descendent of Eld
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2012, 01:06:47 AM »
Couple more for the Church of the Dark God:

One Time:
Worship the Dark God: +1 (yes, it's obvious)
Evil Alignment: +1
Become a full member of the Dark God's clergy: +2

Good Alignment: -3
Heretic IMO should be at least -10, if not -20

Multiple Use:
Slay a good outsider: +1
Slay the divine emissary of a deity other than the Dark God: +4
Sanctify (or desecrate, depending on your perspective) the shrine of another deity in the Dark God's name: +2
Perform a devious act in order to advance the Church's agenda: +1

Convert a creature to another deity: -3
Each domain chosen not offered by the Dark God: -2
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 01:08:58 AM by TravelLog »
Too much sanity may be madness and the maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.
--Miguel de Cervantes