Author Topic: A dark horizon [campaign thread]  (Read 14106 times)

Offline RivlisDrake

• Lurker
  • Infinity Circuit or Matrix of Leadership?
    • View Profile
Re: A dark horizon [campaign thread]
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2014, 12:00:37 PM »
Akakios turns from where he is overseeing a pair of junior helmsmen as they guide the great ship gently into orbit.

Shall I prepare your lander, madam captain, or would you prefer one of the Valkyries?
My character flaw?
Always trying to work dervish into my characters

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2014, 12:12:35 PM »
"Whatever is available first and can fit enough people. You, Kallias, Buenadventura, the tech-priest, Ozthaka, and the Drill-Abbot here. Everyone that could possibly contribute."

Offline RivlisDrake

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2014, 12:22:49 PM »
As you say captain

Akakios heads to the port-side landing bay and orders three Valkyries prepared to carry the captain, her command crew, and an honor guard or armsmen to the surface. Additionally he orders the Fury Interceptor squadron to standby.

Once these preparations are in place, Akakios has the internal vox call to summon the captain and command crew for the descent.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 01:07:28 PM by RivlisDrake »
My character flaw?

Offline LordBlades

• Honorary Mod
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2014, 02:50:46 AM »
The trio of Valkyries make their way through the clear and deceptively peaceful atmosphere of Damaris, toward their designated landing position. As the first two ships touch the ground, their side doors slide open and a dozen of armsmen emerge from each, forming two orderly rows, one on each side of the third ship. As you descend from your own Valkyrie, you step off into the bright sun of midday. The ticking of metal can be heard as the ship cool from their landing, and the smell of promethium and the fumes of ship fuel permeate the air.

Scanning the area, you spot a groundcar some distance away and a well dressed man in an adept’s robes waiting beside it. As you make eye contact with him, he smiles at you, and starts walking toward your group. As he gets closer, he makes the sign of the Aquila and greets you. Greetings honoured worthies of our Imperium. On behalf of the honourable Belkan Kapak, Governor of the Imperial–allied world of Damaris, I welcome you to our home. My name is Jorun Alexander, aide to Governor Kapak. I have been sent here at his request to transport you and your esteemed entourage to the Imperial Governor’s Palace. I am also to place myself at your disposal as a liaison for the duration of your stay. He is obviously unsettled by the sight of the Ork, but does his best to avoid looking it its direction.

Jorun then gestures to the vehicle and bids you toward it. A Council has been called with news of your arrival, and all the proper arrangements have been made for your accommodations in Damaris City until the matter at hand has been resolved. He pauses for a moment, then adds less formally I would also like thank you for coming. On the behalf of myself... and my family. If there’s anything you need, or need to know about our planet, I can help as best I can.

Offline Xerael

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2014, 02:53:48 AM »
We thank you for your hospitality, and rest assured that we will do everything in our power to try and stop the green menace before it is to late He then politely waits for the captain to enter first the car
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 03:01:01 AM by Xerael »
There is no sanity just different degree of madnes

Offline Scout89

• I'm old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2014, 09:02:26 PM »
Kallias whispers to anyone of the crew that happens to be by his side, I thought we'd find more destruction here.
Sneaky_Sable: "Keep the Omega Whatever, I'll take that Dagger. Nice to meet you *sneak attack* I hope everything's alright *sneak attack* how's your liver been *sneak attack*..."

Offline RivlisDrake

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2014, 10:32:50 PM »
Once they are in the relative privacy of the car, Akakios leans close to Kallias.

Remember, we're here in responce to an imminent invasion, not one already in progress. Someone gave us a huge leg up by intercepting those ork 'astropathic' messages. We're seeing a world preparing for an invasion, not desperately fighting one off already.
My character flaw?

Offline LordBlades

• Honorary Mod
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2014, 08:16:40 AM »
Once everyone is safely aboard (there's no room for your armsmen guard sadly, so you'd have to order them to remain there with the Valkyries, send them back to the ship or ask your host to provide them with transportation and accommodation into the city), orun instructs the driver–servitor to take you into the city. The inside of the groundcar is luxuriously appointed, and the smooth ride takes you through the main part of the city, where Jorun points out items of interest.

OOC: You have about 20 minutes of travel time until you reach the governor's palace, so you can chat with Jorun or among yourselves if you feel so inclined.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2014, 08:23:22 AM »
The opulent surroundings were right at home for Aurelia, and she listened to Jorun with apparent (but not altogether real) interest. Damaris wasn't all that amazing a world, when you got right down to it, and and the landmarks in something as minor as a city didn't interest the Rogue Trader at all. Well, unless she could maybe buy them and take over Damaris through commerce. That might be more fun.

Offline RivlisDrake

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2014, 10:50:59 AM »
(To Jorun)

If I may, who is in command of the portions of the defense? The ships in orbit seem to be positioned to make it... difficult to support one another.
My character flaw?

Offline Wrex

• Large and In Charge.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2014, 07:22:40 PM »
Orzthaka remains quiet. He has to remain on guard to protect the Boss. He idly inspects the paint job on his shoota, and makes a mental note to touch it up.

Offline LordBlades

• Honorary Mod
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2014, 04:00:43 AM »
Jorun sighs Everybody. First, there's General Remi Dante, commander of the Damaris Highland Levy, our PDF. The Bulwark, that's our orbital defense station, you couldn't have missed it, and the System Defense Flotilla also fall under his command, Then, there's Captain Sylvia Locke of the Imperial Navy who commands the cruiser Aegis and ultimately there's Lady Elizabeth Orleans and Jeremiah Blitz, two other Rogue Traders that have responded to our plea for aid. Sadly, none of them seem to get along with the others very well.

Offline RivlisDrake

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2014, 11:45:31 PM »
Ah, I see. Will there be an opportunity to discuss relations between the factions? A banquet? Something a bit more... relaxed than a strategy session?
My character flaw?

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2014, 07:24:05 AM »
"I suppose it is up to me to try and centralise command somehow. If not by speech  or actions, then having the most firepower."

Offline LordBlades

• Honorary Mod
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2014, 08:19:51 AM »
I truly hope you will be the voice of reason in all this captain Jorun speaks in a cautiously optimistic tone You have  quite a bit of convincing to do though. If you think meeting the others in a less official circumstance, I'm sure I can arrange something.

Offline Xerael

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2014, 01:17:18 AM »
In most cases disaster and the threat of imminent death, tends to bring even the most foolhardy and stubborn people together and see that united they have a much greater chance of survival, rather than letting their egos get in the way of that. If when the invasion proper begins if we don't stand together as one, we won't stand a chance at surviving it, this fact is made ever so clear by the poor state of the orbital defenses, a quick analysis ascertained that there are huge gaps in the defense, that due to  the sheer numbers of orks, many of them will be able to slip through and make ground defense harder, if the state of the orbital defense is so poor, i dread to think about the state of the ground one.
There is no sanity just different degree of madnes

Offline RivlisDrake

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2014, 01:45:13 AM »
At the very least the ground forces look to a single commander. Though the addition of our good Drill Abbot might confuse things slightly. Do we have any real idea of the size of the storm rolling towards Damaris?
My character flaw?

Offline LordBlades

• Honorary Mod
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2014, 07:49:32 AM »
Th drill abbot breaks the silence replying to the tech-priest. What you say is logical, but if experience has taught me anything is that people don't do the logical thing on most occasions. Every good Imperial citizen is taught to die for the Faith rather than pick the most logical course of action. Sadly, many take the same determination onto much pettier matters, like this one. No need to worry about me though, I'll gladly subordinate my men to whomever takes charge of the ground defense.

Offline RivlisDrake

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2014, 10:25:22 AM »
I meant, and mean no offense. But will you still feel so willing to place yourself under another's command if they withdraw from defending the artifact that you were sent here specifically to defend or at least move to safety?
My character flaw?

Offline LordBlades

• Honorary Mod
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2014, 01:55:22 PM »
The drill abbot obviously doesn't seem used to his motives being questioned. If I place myself under the command of somebody and he decides to withdraw away from the capital, I will put a bolter round through his treacherous skull. This is the only sizable city on the surface of Damaris, home of pretty much all industry and war material stockpiles. If it falls, then any survivors still on the planet are already as good as dead. Only feasible way to evacuate anything from here is up, and if that is to be the case, me and my men are more than willing to lay down their lives to make sure the relic and as many Imperial citizens as possible make it out.