Author Topic: Linked Magic [WIP]  (Read 1066 times)

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
Linked Magic [WIP]
« on: April 20, 2014, 03:59:26 PM »
Linked Magic

This is a very, very, basic skeleton of an idea, but it’s based partly on a conversation I had with another gamer I know yesterday: A system in which the caster class has to form a soul-link, of some form or variety. A series of 10 different links is possible, each of which confers certain benefits and penalties, and each can only allow certain spells to cross along those links.

Up to three rounds can be spent fortifying each link, in which case the effectiveness of the spell increases greatly, in a manner such that something using a two-round link is more than twice as powerful as something using a one round link. In effect, the greater reward is always the one more delayed.

Spells would likely be based upon a seed component, in much the same way as the links, and would not have a uses per day restriction. The inherent restrictions of the casting type would be enough.

Links could be attuned to a racial type, certain area of land, a single creature, an object, and would likely further subdivide into such categories as heart, mind, limbs, and so forth.

I am undecided on whether the process of linking would allow a saving throw, or whether it would involve the expenditure of a swift or a move action for each round of linkage that is to be created.

Spells cast would need to be quite different from the normal array of vancian or psionic magics, and I currently have no idea what form they would take, other than that of seeds, upon which each core is based.