Author Topic: Half-Golem  (Read 31918 times)

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
Re: Half-Golem
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2014, 07:03:38 AM »
Alright, finally got on the nerf session I had planned for quite some time for this now.

-Materials no longer give a stat-based bonus to natural armor, just a flat+2, plus +1 base Half-Golem, since this is a template that can be taken by almost everybody after all.

-DR from composite plating is now a flat extra bonus instead of doubling.

-Strength gained from Artifical improvement only applies to basic Strength-based stuff like hitting stuff in melee, basic combat maneuvers and carrying capacity.

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2014, 12:24:55 AM »
Question on Warforged stuff: If a creature becomes a half-Warforged, would it be allowed to take Warforged feats or classes?  Or would that be up to the DM's discretion?

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2014, 06:49:20 AM »
By RAW no, and I would say no by RAI as well, since warforged stuff assumes you're a full warforged (would be particularly silly if you took that warforged prc that tries to become more of a living creature) but if another DM says yes, then go ahead.

Offline Yogibear41

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2014, 09:08:37 PM »
If you become a failed half-golem and gain the construct type, do you gain bonus hit points based on your size as a normal construct would.  +20 hit points for a medium sized creature etc.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2014, 04:25:49 PM »
No, you only gain the traits detailed on the spoiler.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2017, 01:02:41 PM »
Assembly- This material is built of very small constructs that may be disassembled and reassembled at any time. As a move action the Half Assembly Golem may disassemble part of its Golem limb in order to produce multiple miniscule Assembly Golems that may form together to build larger creatures. This functions similarly to the Summon Monster spell of Caster Level equal to half the Half Assembly Golem’s HD, and it uses the following table. Like summon monster, a Half Assembly golem may summon 1d4-1 creatures of a lower tier than what it can currently summon, or 1d6+1 of any tier 2 or lower than it’s currently available one. A Half Assembly Golem may use this ability a number of times per day equal to its Wisdom modifier.

I think you're missing a "minimum one" in there.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2017, 04:11:04 AM »
Why should it have a minimum of one? Maybe zero to prevent non-sensical values. But then I would need to do that to every other ability-based option and I trust players to understand that an ability that can be used -X times per day can't be used at all and they should invest on the relevant ability score if they want it.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2017, 10:36:18 AM »
Why should it have a minimum of one? Maybe zero to prevent non-sensical values. But then I would need to do that to every other ability-based option and I trust players to understand that an ability that can be used -X times per day can't be used at all and they should invest on the relevant ability score if they want it.

I don't know why you think Raineh is talking about how many times per day that it can be used. 

" a Half Assembly golem may summon 1d4-1 creatures of a lower tier than what it can currently summon"
The golem can spend a use of the ability to roll a 1 and summon 0 creatures.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2017, 04:38:40 PM »
Ah,  sorry for the misunderstanding. Still being able to result in 0 summons bit is intended, otherwise would've been a 1d3 like regular summon monster.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2017, 06:40:45 PM »
A 1/4 chance of wasting your turn entirely, and a 1/4 chance of using it and getting a worse result than if you'd just gone for one monster? You may as well remove the option entirely, because you have a 50/50 chance of it being a stupid idea.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2017, 08:24:50 PM »
It's just a move action, hardly a wasted turn even if it doesn't do anything.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2017, 09:52:09 PM »
Considering the flavor text for Assembly (disassembling a portion of yourself to create/summon other things), you could just make it a 1d3 or 1d4 without the possibility of 0 summons on use but with a penalty inflicted on the Half-Golem so long as the summoned creature is around. Yanno, because you literally gave up a chunk of yourself to fuel this ability. I dunno, minus max HP for the duration?

Offline RegalKain

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2017, 07:35:59 PM »
So here's a question. The requirements for this are basically Con 10+ and a limb to hack off. Couldn't a Warforged (Which has a Con mod and hackable limbs) qualify for this template? I ask because I'm playing a Warforge-like creature in an upcoming game and am really quite tempted to use this. (Basically think of it as the Warforged trying to improve it's abilities by way of stealing parts from other golems.) I'd be curious as to your input on it.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2017, 08:00:31 PM »
Take half-Warforged.

Delight in insanity.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2017, 04:53:00 AM »
So here's a question. The requirements for this are basically Con 10+ and a limb to hack off. Couldn't a Warforged (Which has a Con mod and hackable limbs) qualify for this template? I ask because I'm playing a Warforge-like creature in an upcoming game and am really quite tempted to use this. (Basically think of it as the Warforged trying to improve it's abilities by way of stealing parts from other golems.) I'd be curious as to your input on it.

That's pretty much how I would explain it.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2018, 07:42:25 AM »
If I take an option that grants me an additional slam attack, then take Dragonbone as a material via Fusion Golem, do both my slam attacks become wing attacks? And do effects that activate based on slam attacks still work based on this wing attack?

Similarly, if I gain two slam attacks and "Ruby"-Ruby Half-Golem, do I only apply the enhancement bonus to one slam attack, or can I split it between multiple?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 10:32:52 AM by Raineh Daze »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2018, 08:26:53 AM »
They would apply to the half-golem's first original slam attack.

Offline WarHunter

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2018, 10:51:26 PM »
Hi, been reading through all the options for half golem- my draegloth swordsage could lose a limb. Anyway from magic of incarnum, you have half soul-infused golem. The thing is does this stack onto another half golem part? As soul-infused is a template for golems, not a golem in it's own right. It's hard for me to picture on its own and I think the all three half golems from magic of incarnum are great.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2018, 02:07:01 AM »
I had replied to this but seems like got eaten by the forum too, but from what I remember fluff-wise this assumes that the soul-infusion proccess matters more than the base golem for the matter of what abilities are granted by the transfered limb, and crunch-wise it would be too cheesy if you got two materials for the price of one.

Offline WarHunter

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2018, 07:35:15 PM »
I just assumed that you would get a golem limb than if you go fusion golem you could soul-infused the same limb and he would cost the same as 2 golem limbs. Just a thought.