Author Topic: [3.P] Consolidating classes  (Read 1623 times)

Offline ImperatorK

• Legendary Member
  • Chara did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
    • Kristof Imperator YouTube Channel
[3.P] Consolidating classes
« on: February 05, 2012, 09:25:32 PM »
I think that having so much classes that essentially do the same, but in slightly different ways is stupid. Why is there a Fighter, a Swashbuckler, a Knight, and a Samurai, when it's all the same exact thing (a warrior), just with a different style of fighting or different fluff?
That's why I'm gestalting base classes from PF and 3.5.
I'm trying to keep the finished classes roughly tier 3 (can be strong tier 3, but I don't particularly care about bringing every class up to equal full casters), give the classes some power, versatility and/or options, and keep the themes of the gestalted together classes similar.

What I have for now (the italicized classes are from 3.5, the rest is PF):
Fighter + Swashbuckler + Knight + Samurai - they all differ in mechanics, but all are essentially the same thing, a warrior. An adventuring fighter should have all those abilities, but only those that you invest your resources into (like feats, items, attributes, etc.) will matter in level appropriate encounters, so it won't make the new Fighter overpowered in any way.
What does this new Fighter have? d12, good Fort and Will saves, 4 skill-points per level and a decent skill list, class features that support most of the classical fighter concepts (finesse fighter, tank, BFC, sword'n'board, TWF, smart fighter), fighter bonus feats to further customize your build/concept.
That should be enough of power and versatility to make this new Fighter tier 3, I think.

Monk + Ninja - it is argued that PF Rogue is tier 3 and that Ninja is even better than Rogue, so...
This class is what a Ninja should really be. I didn't think about it too much, it just felt right to combine those two. He retains the feel of an oriental mystical skillmonkey martial artist. :p

Paladin + Knight + Marshal + Healer - PF Paladin, who's arguably tier 4 already, plus two tier 5 and one another tier 4. What can it do? Well, this new Paladin can, on top of his normal Paladin abilities, also inspire his allies thanks to Marshals features and heal his allies thanks to Healers features, and also tank reliably thanks to Knights features. He's all about leading the charge. He can stand his own on the front line and assist his allies quite competently.

Ranger + Barbarian + Dragon Shaman + Scout - 4 tier 4 classes. All with the nature-y theme. Ranger and Scout provide tracking, stealth, scouting, mobility and decent precision damage. Barbarian provides some raw combat power. Dragon Shaman gives some random abilities to help your allies a little and heal them. Overall not bad, I think.

Rogue + Factotum - a tier 3 class plus an arguably tier 3 class. They both are the same thing, a skillmonkey. I think I don't have to explain why I combined them.

Totemist + Soulborn - I have zero knowledge of Incarnum classes and rules, so please tell me if this is okay. Totemist, from what I read, is tier 4 and Soulborn is tier 5. Could they, together, go up to tier 3? Would it make it a too overpowered tier 3 class if I would combine Totemist, Soulborn AND Incarnate as a single Incarnum class?

What other base classes would you suggest to combine? The goal of this houseruling is to get rid of classes below tier 3 and make every base class powerful and versatile enough to be a fun and viable option in any game.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 09:41:58 PM by ImperatorK »
Magic is for weaklings.

Alucard: "*snif snif* Huh? Suddenly it reeks of hypocrisy in here. Oh, if it isn't the Catholic Church. And what's this? No little Timmy glued to your crotch. Progress!"
My YT channel - LoL gameplay