Author Topic: The OOC thread  (Read 168981 times)

Offline Kuroimaken

• Honorary Mod
  • No obstacle too great for the FLAMES IN MY HEART!!
    • View Profile
The OOC thread
« on: March 04, 2013, 09:24:36 PM »
Seriously, you know what to do here...
Kami darou ga akuma darou ga, ore no michi ni tateru mono NASHI!!

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Concerned Ninja Citizen

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
Re: The OOC thread
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 09:45:17 PM »
It's happy sunshine land! Yay! Everything is wonderful and nothing bad could possibly happen here!

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 09:49:51 PM »
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline Concerned Ninja Citizen

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 10:00:34 PM »
Also, the items gained as class features via Chaos classes are not inherently magical (though they can be enchanted as normal for masterwork items), so would they have curses?

I'm still going to be using a fair number of other items which are magic so it's not like there won't be plenty of opportunity to screw me over if such is your desire.

You mean they're actually Ex in nature? If they have ANY magical property at all, they're cursed. Regular masterwork items have no curses by default (though they CAN be cursed later, and if enhanced, they then become cursed. Explanations will follow later).

They don't have an Ex or Su listing but they are stated to be "masterwork quality." They were written by Oslecamo and he's in this game so it's probably easiest to ask.

Oslecamo: Are the Wargear features of the chaos classes magical?

EDIT: I'm probably utterly screwing myself over but I guess that's kinda the point of this campaign. Can I take This Flaw?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 11:03:05 PM by Concerned Ninja Citizen »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 02:31:01 AM »
Why did I have to roll such bad HP?

... well, it's not that far off average (average would be 39), everyone else has rolled well, more like. Stupid random chance. XD

Gaseous Form may be one of the most useless abilities ever. Lose all armour bonuses to AC, become a slow moving cloud of gas with DR 10/magic, and you can't use most abilities whilst gaseous. About all that it's good for is getting through cracks. :eh
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 03:04:18 AM by Raineh Daze »

Offline Kuroimaken

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 07:40:21 AM »
Also, the items gained as class features via Chaos classes are not inherently magical (though they can be enchanted as normal for masterwork items), so would they have curses?

I'm still going to be using a fair number of other items which are magic so it's not like there won't be plenty of opportunity to screw me over if such is your desire.

You mean they're actually Ex in nature? If they have ANY magical property at all, they're cursed. Regular masterwork items have no curses by default (though they CAN be cursed later, and if enhanced, they then become cursed. Explanations will follow later).

They don't have an Ex or Su listing but they are stated to be "masterwork quality." They were written by Oslecamo and he's in this game so it's probably easiest to ask.

Oslecamo: Are the Wargear features of the chaos classes magical?

EDIT: I'm probably utterly screwing myself over but I guess that's kinda the point of this campaign. Can I take This Flaw?

It is such a bad idea I'm not even letting you take it.

Give me internets. Now.

Offline ariasderros

• Epic Member
  • PM me what you're giving Kudos for please.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 09:54:00 AM »
I would like to say something about the Magical Gear gained from Chaos.
There are options to choose from for Mutations, Gear, or Style.
If neither of the other options for the class features would be cursed, how is it fair for a class feature to be cursed?

Granted:
(A) Advanced Indeterminate Technology = Magic
(B) In the Grimdark of the Grimdark, where there is only Grimdark that that class is based on, a lot of the gear and stuff malfunctions a lot, just because there aren't many who can maintain it properly, and those that do 'know' are just really lucky guesses based on experience. (The Omnissiah can lick my Nurgling.)

Hmm.... starting to like this build less and less. It's incredibly vulnerable and despite being able to sling out two formulae per round, just isn't all that overall impressive. Probably time to scrap it. :(
(Basically, it seems like when a 3rd level character you've made for another game outshines the character that's more than twice its level, it's probably time to go back to the drawing board)

To be fair, in my game: You are encouraged to jack up your race; You start out with all 18's for stats; you max all HD.
So, to be fair, there is no way to be fair in the comparison.

@ Kuroimaken
Are those forms all right?
Elite array for the forms (I have the option to assume their stats at times, so this matters)?
Also, along with the rest of my build, would you allow Lesser Unseelie Fey? Also, Winter type thereof, to not affect the creature using the ability?
The character itself seems fine, but I can't find his form listing anywhere.

Mindstealer Drone
Psychic Archive: At 2nd level the MindStealer drone can “remember” a number of absorbed creatures equal to it's own HD at the same time. Starting the campaign with forms already known from the background demands strict DM approval.

The forms I am looking at running by you:
Changeling Monk 1 (babies first form); Dwarf Crusader 3; Doppleganger 3; Basilisk 5; Hydra 5; Mind Flayer 6; Pixie 5 + Paragon Pixie 1.

Stats for these, or any you would accept, are elite array, correct?
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 10:17:15 AM »
... basilisk? So many ways that one can go wrong. :P

Offline Kuroimaken

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 10:22:29 AM »
Hmmm.

Point me to the changeling monk, if you please?

As for the pixie, you can have a regular Pixie 5; if you want an upgrade for that, you'll have to hunt down some pixies during the course of the game. (There should be ample opportunity for this.)

Stats are elite array, yes.

I would like to say something about the Magical Gear gained from Chaos.
There are options to choose from for Mutations, Gear, or Style.
If neither of the other options for the class features would be cursed, how is it fair for a class feature to be cursed?

Granted:
(A) Advanced Indeterminate Technology = Magic
(B) In the Grimdark of the Grimdark, where there is only Grimdark that that class is based on, a lot of the gear and stuff malfunctions a lot, just because there aren't many who can maintain it properly, and those that do 'know' are just really lucky guesses based on experience. (The Omnissiah can lick my Nurgling.)

To be fair, that's what the Forehead Jewel slot is about. I'll get to that...

All magic is cursed in SOME way; some will be made more apparent than others, but gear is the most blatant because it's a more "permanent" form of magic.

Being a magic user is in some ways a curse in and of itself.

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 10:49:20 AM »
I would fully expect the spear from Lunatic Lancer to be cursed even if Class Features normally aren't. Projecting your soul into the form of a spear when you're a vampire? Just asking for trouble. XD

Offline Kuroimaken

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2013, 11:41:09 AM »
OK, preliminary setting info is up. This should explain most of the doubts I've raised concerning how magic is fucked up. Any questions are welcome.

In this thread, of course.

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2013, 11:48:13 AM »
How involved is Madoka in this setting's inspiration? :p

Hmm, back to trying to select feats, though looking through the monster feats has indeed greatly simplified my ability to play an Illithid psion in something at a later date.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2013, 11:50:17 AM »
If you're asking about the character in Puella Magica, not at all, actually.

Most of the inspiration for this setting comes from playing Castlevania.

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2013, 11:52:08 AM »
And for the record, aside from cursed magic items, the vast majority of the effect of Fallout on your characters will have no MECHANICAL effects on their abilities, though it may affect their actions in the future.

I will typically allow a save to keep you guys from going off the deep end too easy though. Fair is fair.

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2013, 11:55:11 AM »
I meant the series as a whole, not the character herself. XD

Castlevania? Damn, I ought to start looking through the music for more than Vampire Killer and Bloody Tears.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2013, 12:02:20 PM »
Hmm... now I'm considering whether I should be playing a variant spellcaster... :D :D

Oh well, I'll start working on backups in case née Cowbell bites it due to Fallout.  ;)
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline ariasderros

• Epic Member
  • PM me what you're giving Kudos for please.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2013, 12:17:58 PM »
Point me to the changeling monk, if you please?
A Changeling (ECS / MM3), who has a level of Monk (PHB).

As for the pixie, you can have a regular Pixie 5; if you want an upgrade for that, you'll have to hunt down some pixies during the course of the game. (There should be ample opportunity for this.)
KK. Eventually, I'll be trying to hunt down so many Pixies, especially those with Paragon Pixie, at so many points while leveling, I'd be surprised if they don't start hunting me in turn.
Same with Illithids.

So... do we have Murder Shards in us?
If we get our hands on one, what are the benefits?
It mentions sealing our abilities in one, but having to keep possession of it, how's all that work? Do we keep our abilities, and just not have to worry about Fallout Corruption as much? Is this what we're already doing?

... Anyone else think of Star Ocean 2 for the fallout, and Claymore for the shards?
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2013, 12:21:19 PM »
The shards reminded me of a lot of things, honestly.

Hunting down pixies? Maybe you'll make friends with Dracula. :p

Offline Kuroimaken

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2013, 12:47:35 PM »
You're all welcome to assume you have a Murder Jewel of average quality. If you want one of above average quality, you'll have to cough up 6000 GP. Jewels above that quality aren't admissible at chargen.

I'm trying to hash out the exact benefits for now, but the general idea goes like this:

Each Jewel has a "grade quality". These usually range from very poor to excellent usually (or exceptional, which are much, much rarer).

Jewels don't offer any passive benefits of their own. What they do is enable you to power up your abilities, according to A) the strength/grade of the Jewel, B) the knowledge stored in the Jewel, if any, C) the amount of time you've already spent channeling power through the jewel and D) the amount of power you're trying to extract from the Jewel itself.

According to their grade and strength, each jewel has a certain amount of "safe time" in rounds per encounter that they can be used. This number is typically equal to your Base Will Save Bonus OR your Base Fortitude Save Bonus, whichever is lower. (Higher grade jewels add or multiply that number.) As a general rule, using more than half those rounds (rounded down) in one encounter will diminish the number of "safe" rounds in the next by one.

Whenever you activate a Jewel, you may choose to try and boost a class feature by a factor of X (where X is dependant on the grade/strength of each Jewel). So for spellcasting, you can boost CL, for Rage, you can boost duration, etc.. Said factor can be increased at the cost of extra "safe" rounds. So, if you choose to boost your power by X+1, each round the "safe" rounds diminish by two instead of one, and so on and forth (the maximum factor is determined by jewel grade, and you are never allowed to know the exact number. You will never know the exact number of "safe" rounds either.  :smirk)

So what happens if you run out of "safe" rounds?

You go berserk.

Typical effects include attempting to boost the power to the limit against your will (not as in will save; you take a special level check with a bonus equal to level plus the highest of your mental stat mods), going frenzied berserker on your buddies, confusion, pain, etc.. The exact effect is almost never the same.

If you try to boost your power beyond the jewel's ability, the jewel shatters, and you become consumed with uncontrollable madness. The exact effects of this also vary from person to person. So no two will be alike.

One can also make use of multiple Jewels to diminish individual power drain and make them less likely to shatter. This is typically dangerous because the exact effects when a Jewel DOES shatter in this instance are... not exactly known.

Sealing one's powers inside the jewel enables that someone to detect active magic users or creatures by instinct. However, if separated, the victim then becomes a crazy mess. If the Jewel is shattered after separation, well...

Nothing much happens when someone who sealed their powers inside a Jewel shatters it through overuse, however (not beyond going berserk anyway).

One can also seal one's memories inside the jewel. This causes disorientation, pain, and temporary drain to your mental stats. It does, however, allow someone to share in said memories later. (It may or may not hold more permanent effects. But I'll keep you guys wondering.)

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2013, 01:07:43 PM »
Do we have to have one of the things? What happens if you don't? :P