Author Topic: The Kindred Talk [OOC]  (Read 32303 times)

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: The Kindred Talk [OOC]
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2014, 09:34:59 AM »
Ah, yes, that makes more sense. Although SDK is testing that class out in the other game. :)

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2014, 10:13:09 AM »
One round summons suck.  :p

I actually wasn't planning on being a dedicated healbot since that's kind of impossible with 2 spell points.   :P

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2014, 10:18:14 AM »
I'm just finishing up on a first pass on some Necromantic races while I wait to see exactly how the Necromant shapes up. ;)

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2014, 11:10:07 AM »
One round summons suck.  :p

I actually wasn't planning on being a dedicated healbot since that's kind of impossible with 2 spell points.   :P

Most first level spell casting sucks. It's why all my non point based casters have some way around the "do nothing aside from crossbow plunk", even at first.  :P

I'm just finishing up on a first pass on some Necromantic races while I wait to see exactly how the Necromant shapes up. ;)

Good to hear. And I should have at least the early levels done this weekend. Currently on a business trip to Palo Alto.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2014, 11:30:31 AM »
Ugh, the more I look at the spellcaster the less I like it.  I just don't like traditional spellcasters, even point based ones.

I guess I'll go with an Echocaller then.  Screw needing traditional party roles.   :p

Okay party, just don't let anybody hit you and you'll be fine.   :lmao

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2014, 11:37:10 AM »
The spellsinger might end up with a healing song at some point. Not sure. So there will possibly be some party healing. If not, dying time!  :P

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2014, 12:04:50 PM »
I'll be taking the healing seed, if only because there aren't many good choices out there for me.

Most first level spell casting sucks. It's why all my non point based casters have some way around the "do nothing aside from crossbow plunk", even at first.  :P

Yes. Chonomancer can get a surprise round action to crossbow plunk. :P
Hmm.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2014, 12:08:17 PM »
I'll be taking the healing seed, if only because there aren't many good choices out there for me.

Yes. Chonomancer can get a surprise round action to crossbow plunk. :P

You could also use your slice...  :P

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2014, 01:53:19 PM »
Good to hear. And I should have at least the early levels done this weekend. Currently on a business trip to Palo Alto.

Also good to hear. :)

All three currently have different degrees of relation to the undead and Necromantic magic, though I'm trying to make them unique enough from each other and approach the theme individually. The hardest part is giving them interesting racial abilities and traits that are balanced and unique, and not going overboard with features.  ;)

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2014, 04:12:13 PM »
If you're having difficulty, just throw them up there and we can all bounce ideas off of one another to solve the issue. And remember, if you want to use LA or racial HD, go right ahead. I use them plenty  :D

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2014, 07:13:38 PM »
I prefer not to,  as I like a race to be playable from first level. Especially given how Arhosa seems partly set up for these adventure paths, starting at first level. So I'm trying to balance them against other Arhosan races, and if something seems too good, I scale it back or add a drawback.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2014, 07:40:03 PM »
It's more just that the lower levels are the ones I'm most comfortable running, and because I think adventure paths should cover the entire scope of a PC's life.

It does reflect my undying hatred of certain aspects of D&D though. :P

For the rest of the PCs, what do you need from me? Aside from completed Necromants and Spellsingers.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2014, 08:21:14 PM »
I need to decide how to actually build my character. :p

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2014, 09:27:39 PM »
I need to decide how to actually build my character. :p

As a Pybyr? :D

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2014, 04:09:57 PM »
Questioning time:

1) Is there going to be a race that works with the Spellsong class? (Similar to how the Heginyn works with Ancient Martial classes)
2) Eyes of the Goddess kinda... really, really sucks at first level. Spend a standard action to force them to make a save or take a -3 or -4 penalty to rolls for... one round. Whee. When I could use that standard action for a spellsong, it doesn't seem worth it.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2014, 04:13:44 PM »
Eventually, but it'll take a while to get around to it. I've only got so much creative capacity at a time :P

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2014, 04:14:24 PM »
Eventually, but it'll take a while to get around to it. I've only got so much creative capacity at a time :P
... I'd offer to help but I'm supposed to be doing spells. Speaking of... To the notepad!

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2014, 07:02:09 PM »
Maybe you can bribe someone else into helping you with the races :P

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2014, 09:11:18 PM »
If my Necromantic races turn out well, I could help. I'm just about done, though I got it in my head to do some racial feats even though the races haven't been reviewed yet. :lol

--edit--
I've made a post in the Necromantic Magic subforum General Discussion thread about the Necromantic Races that I've been working on. I haven't gotten very far in my second pass so I decided to throw them up for discussion and advice, as per Strat's suggestion. I'm not fully happy with them, and the first in particular feels less interesting than the other two, though most of my writing has been done in the few hours I've had to myself after work and in various states of exhaustion. Nothing like Strat's facing right now, though. :P

« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 12:34:00 AM by VennDygrem »

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2014, 07:02:45 AM »
Usually I'm actually pretty good with overnight travel, just yesterday clobbered me.

I'll provide in depth comments later when I can, but one thing I noticed right away is that you mention the necromancy school of spells, inflict spells, etc - those things don't exist in Arhosa, along with turn undead and a few other things. So you might want to consider one or two variants for Arhosa vs non-Arhosa