Author Topic: Voices Echoing in Twilight [OOC]  (Read 21395 times)

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
Voices Echoing in Twilight [OOC]
« on: July 12, 2017, 06:36:26 AM »
So, I'm in the mood for a little adventure that takes place outside of Arhosa. This is a "one-shot" adventure designed to be a little difficult.

Background:
The mood amongst the adventurers was good. Or rather, had been good. Today, it was significantly less so. A great storm of fire had swept across the Khud-Al jungle, sending the adventurers fleeing before it and consuming the treasures they had been able to recover from a tumbledown city of stone. Now possessed of only what they carried with them, they were both frustrated and relieved, weeks of effort literally gone up in smoke.

The only good to come of the devastation was that their flight had led them to stumble across Tooj-Reh, a rough-hewn frontier town and a haven for explorers and traders of the Khud-Al jungle. The group had heard of the town, of course, but had entered the sprawling mess of the jungle from the south, and never thought to be driven this far from their point of origin. At least there might be work here...

Rule Set: 3.5 + Homebrew (see below)
Players: 3-4
Starting level: 3rd
Character creation: 25 PB, average hp for rolled HD (1st level is maximized). Gold is 3rd level WBL. No Flaws/Traits.
Optimization: Tier 3.
Resources: Core + Homebrew.

Allowed Homebrewers: (I reserve the right to request modifications/reject individual items before play begins)
SirPercival
Garryl
FireInTheSky
Myself (Stratovarius)

You can also ask about someone else's content. I will have to review it.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 08:05:22 AM by Stratovarius »

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
Re: Voices Echoing in Twilight [OOC]
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 07:56:59 AM »
Can you repost the chargen guidelines & setting info in here for safekeeping?
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 08:05:30 AM »
Done.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 10:25:37 AM »
I'll get a character up eventually.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 10:41:57 AM »
Done.

Awesome, thank you.

I'm going to take the temp hp buff, since it gives me a buffer for Force Æther. :D

So now it's just a question of bull rush vs dancing weapon.

EDIT: Strat, how much do we need to worry about things like rations & water?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 11:09:40 AM by sirpercival »

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 11:30:09 AM »
Done.

Awesome, thank you.

I'm going to take the temp hp buff, since it gives me a buffer for Force Æther. :D

So now it's just a question of bull rush vs dancing weapon.

Weapon gives you some damage potential and helps keep up combat pressure on enemies, but Push has more widespread applications in and out of combat. It's a tough call. Personally I'd probably go with Push, assuming the plan is still to take the Beast as well.

Also, reposting my previous post from the interest thread for any input:
I'm thinking I might take Hands Afire after all, to help boost damage where I can, or if I need to set something on fire... >_>  <_<

So that would make: Circle Kick (attack/hit two adjacent foes), Deadly Reach (attack at 20' reach), Hand Afire (+1d6 fire damage on hit), and Leg Sweep or Scorpion Claw (Free Trip or Grapple attempt on hit). Alternatively, I considered Three Sided Strike (treat enemy as being flanked) in case I need a bit more chance of hitting...

Any thoughts?

I'm also left with one free feat, so that's a consideration right now as well. Weapon Finesse + Combat Martial Arts are both required, but the third feat from being Human isn't yet spoken-for.

Although, I don't think Hand Afire will let me set anything on fire unless I punch it first.  ;)

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 11:37:53 AM »
Weapon gives you some damage potential and helps keep up combat pressure on enemies, but Push has more widespread applications in and out of combat. It's a tough call. Personally I'd probably go with Push, assuming the plan is still to take the Beast as well.

That's my inclination as well.

Also, reposting my previous post from the interest thread for any input:
I'm thinking I might take Hands Afire after all, to help boost damage where I can, or if I need to set something on fire... >_>  <_<

So that would make: Circle Kick (attack/hit two adjacent foes), Deadly Reach (attack at 20' reach), Hand Afire (+1d6 fire damage on hit), and Leg Sweep or Scorpion Claw (Free Trip or Grapple attempt on hit). Alternatively, I considered Three Sided Strike (treat enemy as being flanked) in case I need a bit more chance of hitting...

Any thoughts?

I'm also left with one free feat, so that's a consideration right now as well. Weapon Finesse + Combat Martial Arts are both required, but the third feat from being Human isn't yet spoken-for.

Although, I don't think Hand Afire will let me set anything on fire unless I punch it first.  ;)
Well, as our primary melee combatant (besides the BEAST), I think some more hit points wouldn't go amiss. What about Toughness?

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2017, 04:31:42 PM »
I'm always wary of Toughness, since it usually feels like a bit of a wasted feat. I usually don't come into a situation where 3 hp will save my life because the damage done to me is more in the tens (or greater, if I'm playing in one of Oslecamo's games). That said, my low hp is of rather much concern to me at the moment. With limited resources, my hp only comes out to 23, which isn't awful given the circumstances but certainly isn't melee frontliner appropriate.

I'll definitely give it a thought, though.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2017, 04:35:20 PM »
I'm always wary of Toughness, since it usually feels like a bit of a wasted feat. I usually don't come into a situation where 3 hp will save my life because the damage done to me is more in the tens (or greater, if I'm playing in one of Oslecamo's games). That said, my low hp is of rather much concern to me at the moment. With limited resources, my hp only comes out to 23, which isn't awful given the circumstances but certainly isn't melee frontliner appropriate.

I'll definitely give it a thought, though.
HAHAHAHA I guess I should have thrown an emoji on there or something.

I was kidding. Don't take Toughness. Ever.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2017, 04:39:08 PM »
Yes, use emojis.  I was pretty confused about your suggestion.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2017, 04:49:53 PM »
This is why we need tonality fonts. How can I straight-face something otherwise?

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2017, 05:18:39 PM »
This is why we need tonality fonts. How can I straight-face something otherwise?

You could have said: "Well, as our primary melee combatant (besides the BEAST), I think some more hit points wouldn't go amiss. What about Toughness?"

That's all I've got.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2017, 05:35:51 PM »
Yeah, I was confused as well, clearly. Sarcasm doesn't translate in text!  :shakefist

:lmao

Seriously though, there are plenty of options, but Core + Homebrew makes the decision a bit... complicated.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2017, 06:06:10 PM »
Seriously though, there are plenty of options, but Core + Homebrew makes the decision a bit... complicated.

Ask about feats, there might be a few available.

I don't think it's critical, but there's a chance you might be lost in the jungle...

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2017, 05:45:18 PM »
Okay, I have time to work on this character sheet.

Now to figure out how spellsinging works because I forgot.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2017, 05:50:09 PM »
For character building purposes, the answer is very simple - get your spellsong check as high as possible. Everything else is irrelevant. Be aware that I have a rough calculation as to expected values at each level, although I'm not going to tell you what it is or how to get there.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2017, 07:41:31 PM »
For character building purposes, the answer is very simple - get your spellsong check as high as possible. Everything else is irrelevant. Be aware that I have a rough calculation as to expected values at each level, although I'm not going to tell you what it is or how to get there.

Max ranks (3+lvl), synergy w/ Perform (+2), Skill Focus (+3), Charisma (4 + lvl/3 or thereabouts) is the start. You might get an extra +2 for a masterwork tool. Not counting magic items, spells, and other classes since I'm trying to work under assumptions similar to what you've described for Arhosa. And unfortunately you can't continue a spellsong's effect into the singing of the next without extra actions, so you can't buff your own Charisma with Face that Launched a Thousand Ships.

That said, for this game we're out of Arhosa, and homebrew is in.

Power of Cybernetics is your friend. Not an amazing, wow, super-awesome friend, but it's there for you in a pinch.
- Take Mastery Multiplier System for a +4 insight bonus right off the bat, plus more at higher levels if you pick up more energy. You can increase that bonus by another 2 by taking Systemic Reboot System for +1 capacity and +1 energy.
- The Omnitool module gives you that +2 circumstance from a masterwork tool even if the DM says no tools normally. If you start taking 10 (gained at 6th level of spellsinger) or you do a visor attachment, you can also get an enhancement bonus equal to the energy you invest (not very efficient, but if you're digging for every little bonus, it's an option).

Dip a level in the aura class of your choice for Motivate Charisma. Yo dawg, we heard you like Charisma checks, so we added your Charisma bonus to your Charisma bonus so you can Spellsong while you Spellsong.
- As meme-tioned, Motivate Charisma is a minor aura. It adds your aura bonus (equal to your Charisma modifier in the case of minor auras) as a morale bonus to Charisma and Charisma-based checks.
- A level of paladin gives you a couple of 0-level spells. Guidance, if nothing else, can get you a +1 competence bonus.
- I don't know most of the mantles, but I'm almost certain there's one that gives you a reroll 1/day. A level of divine mind will also give you a bit of psionics if you can scrounge up an interesting power.
- Marshal gives you a +1 major aura at 1st level. Motivate insight gives an insight bonus on one check per round. It won't stack with Mastery Multiplier System, but I'm mentioning it for completeness.

Codices of Spellshaping have a surprising amount of Charisma-friendly material (although it's got a surprising amount of material, period). Take a dip into a spellshaping class or two for some nice benefits.
- Flamespeaker gives you blaze 1/day, which is like a barbarian's rage, but with Cha and Dex bonuses and DR/magic instead of penalties, restrictions, and stats you don't care about. It also gives Cha to unarmored AC at 1st, and Cha to saves at 3rd.
- Impulse mage with the trance mage ACF gets a similar state, albeit with slightly lower bonuses, as the flamespeaker's blaze. On the upside, you get more formula and circles choices with that first level.
- The cambian race gives +2 Cha, a 1/day reroll, and a 1/day extra +2 Cha.
- Inspire Hope is a 1st-level minor formula from Brilliant Dawn. It's basically heroism (+2 bonus on attack rolls, saves, and checks) as a swift action for 3 rounds, except that it's a sacred bonus. If you don't want to use class levels to learn it, a robe of the Brilliant Dawn can give you access for 3000 gp.
- A couple of higher level Glimmering Moon formulae can help you. Luck of the Moon-Touched might not be too great, given that it requires a standard action for a chance at getting a later reroll, but if you ever get access to 5th-level formula (not likely in this game), Fortune of the Full Moon is a swift action for 5 rounds of +2 luck to virtually everything, and can be discharged for a single natural 20.

Can't say I'm too familiar with the rest of the homebrew scene, unfortunately.

Oh, and if you just want to get cheesy, custom magic items are in Core. Go go +30 bonus!

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2017, 07:48:51 PM »
I'm just going to sit here and wait for Strat to respond to all of that.   :smirk

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2017, 07:51:16 PM »
While you're at it, check out DonQuixote's Jester. It's like a Charisma-based Factotum!

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2017, 08:01:44 PM »
While you're at it, check out DonQuixote's Jester. It's like a Charisma-based Factotum!

I actually did when I looked at all the homebrew!  It was my number two choice!