Author Topic: Character Discussion thread  (Read 15650 times)

Offline Concerned Ninja Citizen

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
Re: Character Discussion thread
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2013, 05:16:21 PM »
New concept: Spellshaping. Specifically, the feats which are analogous to Martial Study and Martial Stance.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2013, 08:14:29 PM »
Question: would Craft (Animal Husbandry) allow me to craft a mule for 1/3 price?
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline Flay Crimsonwind

• Legendary Member
  • The devil so nice, they damned him thrice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2013, 10:36:12 PM »
Need to be combat ready? Alchemy merchant it is! I can deal pants off of people or stuff acid down their shirt... should be done shortly, not as if it's hard to spend a handful of gold.

On a similar note, I assume masterwork artisan's tools don't work for alchemy, since the lab (10x the price why?) does the same thing? NVM, apparently circumstance bonuses stack... Unless you have a ruling here, DM....
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 10:47:16 PM by Flay Crimsonwind »
I'm here and ready to keep confusing the hell out of everyone I meet.

Offline Drammor

• Honorary Mod
  • Seer of Void
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2013, 10:43:57 PM »
Intermediate benefits are gained normally. Wild Talent is allowed.

So you get intermediate benefits at 2/4/6 but minor at 1/4?

Wild Talent but no Hidden Talent?

If you have 2 minor bloodlines, you get benefits at 1/2/4/6. If you have 1 minor bloodline, then as normal.

Ehh. Hidden Talent should be okay.

New concept: Spellshaping. Specifically, the feats which are analogous to Martial Study and Martial Stance.

Spellshaping feats are fine, if this was a question.

Question: would Craft (Animal Husbandry) allow me to craft a mule for 1/3 price?

No. That's weird and no.

Need to be combat ready? Alchemy merchant it is! I can deal pants off of people or stuff acid down their shirt... should be done shortly, not as if it's hard to spend a handful of gold.

On a similar note, I assume masterwork artisan's tools don't work for alchemy, since the lab (10x the price why?) does the same thing?

Masterwork artisan's tools should be fine, actually, since circumstance bonuses from different-enough sources stack. You'd essentially be paying the premium for getting the extra +2, if you got a lab.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 10:47:58 PM by Drammor »
[20:32] <DonQuixote> A POX UPON YOU ALL!
[20:32] <DonQuixote> YOU, J, FOR STEALING THE PURITY OF NORNS.
[20:32] <DonQuixote> YOU, DRAMMOR, FOR ENSNARING ME IN THIS FIENDISH PRISON.

Offline InnaBinder

• Legendary Member
  • Onna table
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2013, 12:31:11 AM »
Thoughts on this homebrew Sublime Way Discipline?

Chtonic Serpent is fine.
Tentative interest in a Mongrelfolk Chthonic Serpent (forsaking Tiger Claw) Swordsage.
Commoner only, remember.
Pardon me for not clearly specifying that I was describing ROLE and "NORMAL CLASS EMULATION."
Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics.  Even if you win, you're still retarded.

shugenja handbook; talk about it here

Offline Flay Crimsonwind

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2013, 12:33:28 AM »
World-wise, what kind of races can we expect are in the nearby area? Human settlement, with a possible smattering of other things like dwarf, elf, halfling? Anything like orcs or goblins in a reasonable distance, that would be widely known?

Offline Drammor

• Honorary Mod
  • Seer of Void
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2013, 12:57:45 AM »
Enoa is a mostly human settlement. Other than your characters, it has four halflings, two elves, one azurin and one person supposedly descended from a dragon, and there's a rumor of a gnome living in or near the city, but it would require a Knowledge (local) check to confirm that.

Knowing things about the surrounding area would certainly require your commoners to make Knowledge (geography, history or local) checks. :)

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2013, 07:41:51 AM »

Chtonic Serpent is fine.
Tentative interest in a Mongrelfolk Chthonic Serpent (forsaking Tiger Claw) Swordsage.
Commoner only, remember.
Pardon me for not clearly specifying that I was describing ROLE and "NORMAL CLASS EMULATION."
Oh right.  Derpity!
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline Drammor

• Honorary Mod
  • Seer of Void
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2013, 08:19:11 PM »
I'd be game to try a "Master of Poisons" focused Commoner. It'll definitely be different from most campaigns.

How about Intermediate Bloodlines? When do you gain those benefits?

Taking Natural Spell and Magical Aptitude together wouldn't make any sense anyway. It would definitely be one or the other.

Is the Hidden Talent Upgrade to Wild Talent allowed?

Is the Pathfinder version of Human allowed?

Thinking about Battle Jump + Up the Walls via Wild/Hidden Talent

Since it's uncertain what combat if any we will be forced to endure, I started off making the merchant:

Morro Sire. He's a worrisome little man, whose father has instructed him in his (often considered highly illicit or at least illicitly supported) business methods. Most of this seems to be in shipment, money-loaning, and merchant activities, but there has always been talk of extortion, hired banditry, and smuggling. Nothing able to be pinned on the senior Sire, and so far junior Sire's hands have been kept clean. He is second in command of his father's business operations, and is definitely the wealthiest of the bunch.

But if this is intended to be more combat based.... and if you don't like the idea of him hiring mercenaries...

I was very much trying to think of Tyrion Lannister or the Illusive Man while making this guy. He's rich, and that's his claim to fame. But he's going to grow into his empire as a leader and brilliant mind, albeit not behind a sword. Still, push comes to shove he could definitely do well with splash weapons, and his operations could always shift to alchemy and crafting/distributions...

Chtonic Serpent is fine.

I'm looking forward to all of these. :)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 08:21:14 PM by Drammor »

Offline Flay Crimsonwind

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2013, 09:16:07 PM »
Well then, the character sheet I posted has been updated; all spent but 2.5 gold (assuming the riding dog is okay; familiar's are allowed, so I thought it might be).

Honestly, figuring out what kinds of things was the hardest; since my character has limited martial capacity and is small (so limited carry capacity), it was fun outfitting him. I gave him a pipe and pipe leaves (pipe weed might give off the wrong impression about what it is), but I kind of just guessed at what it might be; please feel free to correct my pricing on those items.

I'll make a posted character sheet in a while; it'll be easy transcription. I've modded his background a bit too.  :D

BTW, totally looking forward to the child arc; it's going to be fun playing him totally differently than he'll turn out.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 09:26:32 PM by Flay Crimsonwind »

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2013, 10:19:49 PM »
Would Lesser Zenythri be an acceptable race for this campaign?

Also, how much combat can we expect relative to the average D&D game (with the average IME being fairly combat heavy)?

Offline Drammor

• Honorary Mod
  • Seer of Void
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2013, 11:40:43 PM »
Would Lesser Zenythri be an acceptable race for this campaign?

Also, how much combat can we expect relative to the average D&D game (with the average IME being fairly combat heavy)?

Source on lesser zenythri? Yeah, they fit all of the requirements. Go right ahead.

I'm not sure what the relative comparison is going to be, really. I would suspect only half to two-thirds as much will be combat, though. As you get up to level 4 and forward, combat will become more of a regular thing, as you'll have some experience with it behind you and the plot will be advancing quickly toward the culminating conflict.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 12:57:35 AM by Drammor »

Offline Kasz

• The God-Emperor protects, the Omnissiah provides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2013, 09:36:00 AM »
I'd be game to try a "Master of Poisons" focused Commoner. It'll definitely be different from most campaigns.
I'm looking forward to all of these. :)

I've put up a draft of my crafting master of poison, subject to change. Feedback from any appreciated.

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
  • "Insight is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2013, 02:17:21 AM »
So, after a reread of Telekinesis[Spell] and it's subsidiary [Wizard] feats, it appears that the only place that CL is directly referenced is in the range of the initial [Spell] feat.  Which means that Spellgifted is probably a waste for this build.  Looking through the other traits, I think the best alternatives are Aggressive (+2 Init, -1 AC) and Brawler (important part is +1 to grapple, -1 to weapon-ed attacks).  I also suggested Illiterate (+1 to a skill) to Drammor, but he wasn't thrilled with the idea of "an illiterate wizard-like commoner"   :lol

Thoughts?

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2013, 03:56:07 PM »
Is using the "rear a wild animal" function of Handle Animal an option for this game and if so, how would it work?

Offline FlaminCows

• Push that button. Doo eeet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2013, 12:46:16 PM »
I'm not sure whether it is too late to get in on this or not counting the people, it looks like I came just one place too late Drammor to the rescue!. Still, I'll make a character anyway. The char creation rules in the campaign are just too fun to pass up. Maybe one of you can use it as a replacement PC or I can fill in if one drops out or I just start playing.

EDIT: some questions.

How much of Pathfinder is used? For example, if I change my Favoured Class to Commoner through a feat or trait, would I gain the extra Hit Point and Skill Point per level? Is the Pathfinder skill list being used? In the case of Obtain Familiar, considering we're all Commoners and it isn't a spellcasting class, would the "arcane caster class level" clause be replaced with just Character Level, so long as the caster level prerequisite is met?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 07:15:18 AM by FlaminCows »

Offline Drammor

• Honorary Mod
  • Seer of Void
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2013, 02:19:45 AM »
I'm not sure whether it is too late to get in on this or not counting the people, it looks like I came just one place too late. Still, I'll make a character anyway. The char creation rules in the campaign are just too fun to pass up. Maybe one of you can use it as a replacement PC or I can fill in if one drops out.

EDIT: some questions.

How much of Pathfinder is used? For example, if I change my Favoured Class to Commoner through a feat or trait, would I gain the extra Hit Point and Skill Point per level? Is the Pathfinder skill list being used? In the case of Obtain Familiar, considering we're all Commoners and it isn't a spellcasting class, would the "arcane caster class level" clause be replaced with just Character Level, so long as the caster level prerequisite is met?

1) This is a 3.5 game which allows PF material where it adds to but does not alter the core dynamics of the game. The classes, races and so on are per 3.5 rules. For examples, we will not have a CMB and you do not gain additional hit points or skill points for taking levels in your favored class.

2) The 3.5 skill list is being used, but skills which are unique to PF and are not adaptations of 3.5 skills may be allowed.

3) Yes.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 10:29:05 PM by Drammor »

Offline Kasz

• The God-Emperor protects, the Omnissiah provides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2013, 05:18:04 AM »
Just posting to say my sheet's complete... I believe, except for equipment and I'm still keeping an eye on these boards. :)

Offline Drammor

• Honorary Mod
  • Seer of Void
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2013, 10:31:05 PM »
Just for note, we've still got room for one more player.

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2013, 01:54:11 AM »
Is using the "rear a wild animal" function of Handle Animal an option for this game and if so, how would it work?

Repost.