Author Topic: Character Discussion thread  (Read 15648 times)

Offline Flay Crimsonwind

• Legendary Member
  • The devil so nice, they damned him thrice.
    • View Profile
Re: Character Discussion thread
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2013, 02:28:17 AM »
Wow, I did not know about some of these pathfinder traits. Might have to modify my sheet's mechanics a bit.

For instance, Rich Parents makes a lot of sense, and I kind of just slapped the specialized on there because they fit the character's mold. Is that trait okay? Part of the only reason I took magical training was to get spells so I could take ranks in alchemy. But I'd much rather get one potentially useful spell from Alchemical Prodigy than the three cantrips I can't see my using from that feat; if that's fine, I'd like to swap that out too, as it makes specific sense and is a decent booster. Nevermind, totally read the Alchemical Prodigy wrong.  :tongue
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 10:30:39 PM by Flay Crimsonwind »
I'm here and ready to keep confusing the hell out of everyone I meet.

Offline FlaminCows

• Push that button. Doo eeet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2013, 07:01:56 AM »
Alchemical Prodigy wouldn't by itself allow you to use Craft (Alchemy), as it does not actually add that spell to your spell list or even allow you to cast that spell. It only allows you to brew a potion you otherwise would not be able to. Thus Alchemical Prodigy does not fulfill the "must be a spellcaster" requirement of Alchemy.

That's why Vivi has the Arcane Dabbler trait. It is basically a weaker version of the sorcerer-style Magical Training, but since you merely need to be a spellcaster of some sort and that trait allows you to cast two cantrips.

PS: You're four points over.
10 = 2
14 = 6
14 = 6
16 = 10
14 = 6
14 = 6
Total = 36 point buy

Just for note, we've still got room for one more player.

Yay!  :birthday
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 07:43:02 AM by FlaminCows »

Offline Drammor

• Honorary Mod
  • Seer of Void
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2013, 11:01:54 AM »
Is using the "rear a wild animal" function of Handle Animal an option for this game and if so, how would it work?

Repost.

This was discussed in the channel and there's an answer, but I'll need to come back to it tonight.
[20:32] <DonQuixote> A POX UPON YOU ALL!
[20:32] <DonQuixote> YOU, J, FOR STEALING THE PURITY OF NORNS.
[20:32] <DonQuixote> YOU, DRAMMOR, FOR ENSNARING ME IN THIS FIENDISH PRISON.

Offline Flay Crimsonwind

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2013, 10:29:19 PM »
Alchemical Prodigy wouldn't by itself allow you to use Craft (Alchemy), as it does not actually add that spell to your spell list or even allow you to cast that spell. It only allows you to brew a potion you otherwise would not be able to. Thus Alchemical Prodigy does not fulfill the "must be a spellcaster" requirement of Alchemy.

That's why Vivi has the Arcane Dabbler trait. It is basically a weaker version of the sorcerer-style Magical Training, but since you merely need to be a spellcaster of some sort and that trait allows you to cast two cantrips.
Oh huh, read that wrong. Welp, that solves that piece then.  :D

PS: You're four points over.
10 = 2
14 = 6
14 = 6
16 = 10
14 = 6
14 = 6
Total = 36 point buy
A 14 is 5 points in pathfinder, not 6.

Just for note, we've still got room for one more player.

Yay!  :birthday
Double-yay, cause as commoners the more the less horrifically brutal. :bigeyes
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 10:33:27 PM by Flay Crimsonwind »

Offline Concerned Ninja Citizen

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2013, 10:46:49 PM »
Are we using PF point buy or 3.5?

This:

1) This is a 3.5 game which allows PF material where it adds to but does not alter the core dynamics of the game. The classes, races and so on are per 3.5 rules. For examples, we will not have a CMB and you do not gain additional hit points or skill points for taking levels in your favored class.

would suggest 3.5.

Offline Drammor

• Honorary Mod
  • Seer of Void
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2013, 01:45:24 AM »
A 14 is 5 points in pathfinder, not 6.

Are we using PF point buy or 3.5?

This:

1) This is a 3.5 game which allows PF material where it adds to but does not alter the core dynamics of the game. The classes, races and so on are per 3.5 rules. For examples, we will not have a CMB and you do not gain additional hit points or skill points for taking levels in your favored class.

would suggest 3.5.

CNC is dead right, here. This is a 3.5 game, so it uses the 3.5 point buy.

Also...

Is using the "rear a wild animal" function of Handle Animal an option for this game and if so, how would it work?

Repost.

You may use the rear animal function of Handle Animal, but as the SRD is painfully lacking on rules for it, I had to make some. Thus, you are limited to animals you can find in a temperate forest, plains or river environment and may not rear an animal with more than 4 HD. There's also an associated cost of raising an animal based on its number of HD and whether it is noncombative/combative (no hard rule on this, case-by-case basis), as follows:
1 HD.................3 gold/15 gold
2 HD.................6 gold/30 gold
3 HD.................16 gold/80 gold
4 HD.................40 gold/200 gold

You can also rear an animal that could normally be found in a mountainous or underground environment, but pay more for each hit die of the animal, as follows:
1 HD.................5 gold/25 gold
2 HD.................10 gold/50 gold
3 HD.................30 gold/150 gold
4 HD.................68 gold/340 gold

Finally, you can rear an animal from a more exotic environment, but there's a severe premium on acquiring and caring for it. These animals are priced per hit die as follows below, and you absolutely cannot have more than one such animal.
1 HD.................15 gold/75 gold
2 HD.................30 gold/150 gold
3 HD.................75 gold/375 gold
4 HD.................185 gold/925 gold

Naturally, the hamlet itself and anyone in it is limited to purchase values on single items of 100 gold or less, so a lot of this is unattainable without a little cheese (I think there are things that stretch GP limits for your purchases, but nothing from the top of my head). If you're really keen on something with more HD, we can talk about it, but anything more powerful than this is generally a no-no, on account of it being too risky to have in a hamlet where the only levels are NPC class levels. Also, no dinosaurs.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 02:10:45 AM by Drammor »

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2013, 02:46:52 AM »
I like the look of those Handle Animal rules. Thanks for that. Much better to work within than the existing rules, under which I had found a way to rear a rhinoceros (via a PF trait that gives +4 to HA on elephants and rhinos), 8HD/CR 4 is a bit much for a lv 1 commoner game.

How much would rearing an animal of less than 1 HD cost? A 1/4 raven, for example: 4 ravens for 3 GP?

For combat vs noncombat: Light Horse, Boar and Riding Dog?

So my character is taking shape now.

Strongheart Halfling or Human with a charisma focus.

Spellshaping Feats: Spellshape Study, Formula Study, Circle Focus, Mastered Formula to get Feral Summons from the Natural Balance circle and have it recover every 3 rounds.

If this is alright, can I have Circle Focus add to my shaper level rather than save DC, since the formula I want to use doesn't require a save?

Skills focusing on handle animal and possibly survival and scouting. Social skills also an option but we seem to have a face in the party already.

Background: Child of a horse/dog/ insert animal here racing obsessed nobleman. [Character] wasn't a fan of the gambling but loved the animals. Family was bankrupted by aforesaid gambling and [character] fled into the woods to save a few animals from repossession. Turned up in the area of the village a few months later and is known as "that wild boy who lives in the woods and is really good with animals."
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 03:13:19 AM by Concerned Ninja Citizen »

Offline Drammor

• Honorary Mod
  • Seer of Void
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2013, 04:48:07 AM »
For animals less than 1 HD, simply multiply the cost of rearing a 1 HD animal by the animal's HD.

Light Horse: Your link goes to riding dog, but this is for noncombat.
Boar: Combat.
Riding Dog: If trained for war, combat. Otherwise, noncombat.

That's a no on altering Circle Focus.

That character sounds great, but concerning him living in the woods, I either have some stipulations or need to line-item veto that part. If he does live in the woods, he'll be required to have any one of these:
1) Ranks in Knowledge (local) and either Bluff or Diplomacy
2) The Apprentice (Woodsman) feat and ranks in Survival
3) Ranks in Hide and Knowledge (nature)
Due to very good reasons, there's no way he could survive out there without them during the timeline of the campaign.

Offline Flay Crimsonwind

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2013, 04:23:00 PM »
Aw damn, well then time to fix those points. And done! Knew it couldn't be that easy.  :D

I think I'm changing the character ever so slightly while I develop him. Might rewrite the background a bit, just to make clearer and more sense.

Also still have to tweak his equipment.... this low carry weight is really messing with me...

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
  • "Insight is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2013, 06:00:01 PM »
Also still have to tweak his equipment.... this low carry weight is really messing with me...

I think I'm gonna be able to afford a mule, if that makes any difference.

Also, Drammor, do we need to allocate funds for rations and the like (...assuming we don't want to starve :p )?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 06:03:32 PM by FireInTheSky »

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2013, 06:03:54 PM »
I'm likely to have at least one and probably several four footed friends who could be prevailed upon to carry excess gear. Since I'm likely to be sinking most of my gold into said friends, I won't be using much of their capacity myself.

Rations wise, are we going to be able to survival for food? If so, the standard DC 10 check should be passable often enough to not die.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 06:06:51 PM by Concerned Ninja Citizen »

Offline Drammor

• Honorary Mod
  • Seer of Void
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2013, 01:52:51 AM »
In the Child Arc, you won't need to worry about food.

In the Campaign Arc, you will need to worry about food.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2013, 01:24:47 PM »
Hey Drammor, instead of the Welknair bloodline I was going to use, can I change my homebrew request to Archetype Soulmelds?
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline Drammor

• Honorary Mod
  • Seer of Void
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2013, 06:00:13 PM »
After a thorough review of the material, my answer is no.

These soulmelds, whether they take up more space than normal soulmelds or have essentia investment restrictions or not, essentially allow any meldshaper without meldshaper class levels to also be a meldshaper, binder, wizard, fighter or paladin (sometimes better than a character with levels in their those classes), in addition to what they're already are. Or to be a lantern corps guardian, and we're not even playing that game.

Offline Flay Crimsonwind

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2013, 04:36:01 PM »
How's everybody doing? This got all of a sudden very quiet. Like, dead silent. Are we still on?

Offline Drammor

• Honorary Mod
  • Seer of Void
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2013, 02:44:23 PM »
As far as I know, we're still on.

I am sorry I didn't announce this, but I've been in a bit of a holding pattern for a while. I developed a kidney stone and I've been out of commission for about three weeks now. I'll have a look-see at the characters for completion, and once everything is on the level, we'll get started.

Flay, you're still 2 points over on the point buy. It's a D&D point buy, not a PF point buy. Sorry bud.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 03:15:25 PM by Drammor »

Offline Flay Crimsonwind

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2013, 01:12:30 AM »
Oh that's just because I haven't finished updating my character; have a handful of gold and some background changes, as well as the transfer of my child-arc version. Don't worry, I hadn't forgotten, got it all in the changes log.

Offline Kasz

• The God-Emperor protects, the Omnissiah provides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2013, 11:23:49 AM »
I'll probably put the finishing touches on my sheet and create the child arc version by the end of this week... should everything go to plan.