Author Topic: [D&D] Interest check - Karthun, the Lands of Conflict  (Read 21237 times)

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
Re: [D&D] Interest check - Karthun, the Lands of Conflict
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2015, 03:48:16 AM »
might i go ahead and update john to level 5 then?

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2015, 04:36:26 AM »
Do all the Elven subraces keep the +2 Dex they get in core?  I ask because it doesn't really jive with the fluff for Bear Clan.  Edit:  How would you feel about using the stats for Goliaths?

Also, which is cooler - a bigass sword (for bigass Smites), or a battleaxe + shield?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 04:50:56 AM by linklord231 »
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2015, 10:00:17 AM »
Do all the Elven subraces keep the +2 Dex they get in core?  I ask because it doesn't really jive with the fluff for Bear Clan.  Edit:  How would you feel about using the stats for Goliaths?

Also, which is cooler - a bigass sword (for bigass Smites), or a battleaxe + shield?

I actually used Goliath as the basis for the Bear Clan elves, as you may notice. You may go one of two ways. They are still elves, so as I presented them they would have the base elf racial traits (+2 dex, darkvision, etc.) and the Bear clan traits (originally was going to be +2 strength, but then I added other traits), so you could use them as presented, or change the racial ability increases to a base of +2 Str (instead of +2 Dex) and a +1 to Con (in place of the +1 to Str from the subrace). This would reflect the Goliath ability score increases. You may also choose to swap Elven skill proficiency in Perception for Athletics, if you desire, more closely fitting in with the Goliaths (however, Athletics is available as a Paladin skill known and Perception is not, for what it's worth).

As for cooler equipment selection, my vote is for bigass sword. But that's just me. It depends on your Paladin-ing style- more smiting/offensive, or more protective/defensive.

might i go ahead and update john to level 5 then?

Go right ahead. I'm also going to PM you some further details.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 10:02:17 AM by VennDygrem »

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2015, 07:28:04 PM »
Thinking Half Elf Fighter 1/Bard 4 (Not sure which class is better as my level 1).

I can manage on 27 PB, so I might as well roll...

(click to show/hide)
Hmm.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2015, 08:45:19 PM »
So, who all do we have and what are you guys thinking about playing?

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2015, 09:28:31 PM »
I'ma actually skulk outta this one.
I'll have to save my 5e debut for another time -_-'

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2015, 10:14:19 PM »

So far:

SorO_Lost - Homebrew Artificer(?)
Linklord231 - Bear Clan Paladin of the Ancients
Me - Half-Elf (Mostly) Bard Archer
bhu - Half-Orc Barbarian (?)
Osclecamo(?)
Nanshork - Usually something unusual
Hmm.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2015, 12:29:05 AM »

So far:

SorO_Lost - Homebrew Artificer(?)
Linklord231 - Bear Clan Paladin of the Ancients
Me - Half-Elf (Mostly) Bard Archer
bhu - Half-Orc Barbarian (?)
Osclecamo(?)
Nanshork - Usually something unusual

Aha, thank you!  I'll start looking into what to play.

Venn: I'm reading through the pdf and I'm seeing references to the Gamemaster's Guide to Karthun for some cool looking alternate class stuff.  What's the expected release date for that?

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2015, 12:55:46 AM »
Now that I think about it, Illyn w/ half-elf stats probably fits the campaign better than an actual Half-elf. What nations would be likeliest to have Illyn?
Hmm.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2015, 01:52:03 AM »
ketaro: Sorry you've got to bow out, but you've got to do what's best for you.

Nanshork: Unfortunately, they're a bit behind on getting everything published and shipped out, but the document I linked was the one of the editor's passes on text. There's still more editing, formatting, and artwork to be added, but they're still making good progress. The GM's guide is supposed to launch with it, but because the entire project is gamesystem-neutral, it's all recommendations.

What content/alternate class things are you potentially interested in?

SDK: Illyn can reside anywhere, whether they were born there or simply settled there. However, Ilrenar is by far the biggest home for the Illyn as it was founded by Elinar, who is the Illyn's patron deity. Half-Elf traits should work very well for an Illyn.

Some more interesting fluff regarding Illyn:
(click to show/hide)

Illyn often take up the post of ambassadors and diplomats, spreading Elinar's message of harmony and peace. Furthermore, they are quite varied within their race. This fits the standard Half-Elf trope quite well. I would probably encourage anyone else interested in playing an Illyn to use those traits as well.

For SorO: I've got a bunch of my version of the Artificer written out, though there are some class features unfinished, some yet to be written, and the class paths currently only have notes jotted down. Still, let me know what you think of it. I'll probably also need to tweak the Infusion list due to how I've set them up.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2015, 02:13:18 AM »
A lot of the Karthun specific class features are only vaguely worded.  The Barbarian and Magebound are the main ones that popped up for me (not that I'm specifically interested in playing either of those, I'm just wondering about any potential 5E specific crunch).

After rummaging around, a couple of main ideas pop up.  Anyone with 5E experience let me know if I'm looking in bad directions:
 - A fighter, focusing on polearms or shields with a defensive/bodyguard thing going on is a vague idea
 - A warlock, it looks like we could use a spellcaster and that one pops up as interesting
    - Venn, how do Warlocks fit into Karthun?  Do they?  They're not in the document.

How much does 5E need the role of rogue?

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2015, 07:11:59 AM »
I think the Barbarian can be played pretty much as-is in the PHB, reflux fingers Rage as "Primal Focus" or something like that. You'd be part of a Barbarian tribe "living at the edges of the civilized world" and getting your battle power not from rage, but from a deep connection to the land or to animal spirits.

Ass for Magebound, rusts a but more open-ended. I imagine it will be a Sorcerer option for sorcerous origin, like the draconian origin. I will probably have to come up with the features for that for now as well.

A Warlock could be played straight, but most likely the eldritch pact you form would result in a Magebound of a different sort. The effects would be the same, just different fluff. That can be worked out.

A rogue fills the need for a skillmonkey but a well balanced party covers that too. Anyone with the right skills and background could be trained in perception and thieves tools, covering that aspect. Rogues are just fun to play anyway.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 07:13:40 AM by VennDygrem »

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2015, 12:23:56 PM »
I meant more specific than that.  I'll give page numbers.

On page 83 it goes over classes, and the Barbarian specifically says "More information on The Rage and suggestions for integrating it into campaigns will be available in the Gamemaster’s Guide to Karthun."  The Rage being a demonic curse that consumes you.  Sounds interesting.

On page 86 it talks about Magbound with some vagueness.

That's why I was wondering about the Gamemaster's Guide, it's going to have actual rules about integrating this stuff so I don't have to guess and you don't have to make things up.  :p

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2015, 04:10:44 PM »
I already gave info regarding The Rage to one player via PM. If you are interested in it, I can PM you also. I want to keep the express details on the down-low as much as possible to maintain an element of surprise when it first comes up, but I can share some info if desired.

As for the Magebound, I can work the details provided into a sorcerous origin or warlock Pact for anyone interested in those classes. For the Warlock pact, very little actualuck needs to be changed, aside from the fluff. However, there are still a few benefits of binding to am elemental spirit or other source that the class pacts don't account for, so I'll whip something up for that. However, it would help to know what kind of entity the warlock character is binding to. Same would go if any sorcerer decided to bind to a non-elemental.

The abilities granted via binding would differ for certain kinds of entities. For instance, binding to an ancient warrior spirit would probably grant more gish-y powers than binding to a black dracolich. Or an otherworldly/far realm patron pact .

Did you have any ideas on the pact?

And if you're looking for interesting hooks for a more vanilla-seeming character, I can share some ideas as well. I've got lots of concepts and bonus abilities ready to offer, if desired. The greater the boon, the greater the drawback, and vice versa.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2015, 04:47:14 PM »
I'm just the guy who likes to dig through all the crunch that I can before making a decision.  I think that Warlock is the direction I'm probably going to go.

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2015, 06:58:19 PM »
Text for the Game Master's Guide is not yet available, so for now it's just "make stuff up that makes sense."
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2015, 08:08:34 PM »
That's pretty much how I'm handling it. Having run 5e for a while now for my tabletop group, I'm familiar enough with the game mechanics and with homebrewing things for the system to be functional at filling in any empty spaces.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2015, 08:24:44 PM »
I've been speaking with Venn and I'm narrowed down to a Warlock or a Beastmaster Ranger.  I'm not sure which I want to play more.

Edit: If anyone has personal experience with one or another I'll accept suggestions.

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2015, 11:30:02 PM »
"Additionally, when you gain a level in this class, you
can choose one of the bard spells you know and replace
it with another spell from the bard spell list, which also
must be of a level for which you have spell slots."

So...I can trade 1st level spells known for higher ones? Or am I reading that wrong?
Not that that is always a good trade, because you can cast lower level spells in higher level spell slots but not vice versa.
Hmm.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2015, 12:22:39 AM »
You can trade it for any Bard spells you qualify for, basically; What really matters in most cases is the spell slots you have available.

As you have pointed out, if you traded away all your level 1 spells known, you'd have a bunch of useless level 1 spell slots. But you could do so if you wanted to.