Author Topic: After Sundown  (Read 2916 times)

Offline Bozwevial

• Epic Member
  • Developing a relaxed attitude toward danger
    • View Profile
After Sundown
« on: November 10, 2011, 12:55:01 PM »
So this might be a few months old, but Frank Trollman wrote a horror game. Or to be more precise, rewrote aWoD and purged any mention of White Wolf's intellectual property.

Quote from: Frank Trollman
After Sundown is a cooperative storytelling game that tells stories in the realm of horror. Players take on the roles of monsters out of horror movies or the humans who oppose them, while one of the players takes on the role of the MC – a combination referee, narrator, and roleplayer of last resort for antagonists and minor characters in the story.

The setting of After Sundown is a world like our own would be if horror fiction had an element of truth to it. There really are monsters in the night and other worlds full of nightmarish horrors that bleed into the mortal world. But it is also set in a world which is decidedly modern, and that means modern sensibilities. The game's backstory sees history and mythology through a modern interpretation, and adopts horror tropes that resonate with modern audiences. Many horror tropes are timeless – blood speckled claws in the dark is pretty much always going to be scary – but many other horror elements are merely puzzling, and are going to be downplayed. The modern audience is not particularly worried about miscegenation or communist invasion, and those elements of old horror fiction are deliberately excluded from their appropriation into After Sundown.
Homebrew Compendiums: D&D 3.5 4e/PF
IRC: #mmxgeneral on Rizon

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
Re: After Sundown
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 03:30:55 PM »
I missed that that was his aWoD rewrite. I remember him talking to someone about what you'd have to exclude to do that.

I downloaded the PDF a while ago, but I haven't fully read it or played it. It looks thoroughly interesting. I was reading a PbP at the Den a while ago, but I'm not sure it's still active.
My creations

Please direct moderation-related PMs to Forum Staff.

Offline Bozwevial

• Epic Member
  • Developing a relaxed attitude toward danger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 08:29:30 PM »
He's working on his Cyberpunk Fantasy Heartbreaker right now in lieu of supplements to AS, right?

We could always try to set up a PbP here if there'd be enough interest.
Homebrew Compendiums: D&D 3.5 4e/PF
IRC: #mmxgeneral on Rizon

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 02:06:46 PM »
He's working on his Cyberpunk Fantasy Heartbreaker right now in lieu of supplements to AS, right?
So far as I know, yes, although I haven't really been following that project. I just know there are enough threads that they stickied an index.

We could always try to set up a PbP here if there'd be enough interest.
I'd have to learn the system, but I might be game for that.
My creations

Please direct moderation-related PMs to Forum Staff.