Author Topic: Spin-off OOC  (Read 94520 times)

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
Spin-off OOC
« on: February 13, 2013, 10:49:28 AM »
(click to show/hide)

New players for the Elibe campaign please post here.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
Re: Spin-off OOC
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 10:58:20 AM »
posting~!
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 10:59:06 AM »
Answering questions from the other threads piled overnight. Let me know if I missed something.

My really quick draft is: Human Mechanosynth 4/Cyberneticist 4 named Alan Lance

Evolves: Armblade (don't know what base weapon yet), Armbolt 2d6 acid, Pneumatic Calves (5 foot average flight speed that might become 10 due to maneuverability issues), Fiber-Optic Shroud (invisibility as SLA at will)

Cybernetic modules will change around of course, but at 4th in cyberneticist his allowed modules are only the least; so hands, feet, and visor.

Are fractional BAB and saves in effect?
Sure, why not?

I'll go peruse AA right now.

I'd actually be fine tanking the +1LA. *gasp* But of course I'd rather buy it off. To get to where I need to be with this character, it gets me straight there.

Edit: AA is certainly powerful enough, but it's a pity that I can't be a real Lycan. Oh well, my build with Feral would have only worked with DM fiat anyway. And I dont actually have to shift back and forth. In Killer Instinct lore (surprised you guys don't know this already), Sabrewulf was cursed to be in a permanent Hybrid Wolf state which it sounds like AA will work for. Good suggestion, CNC.

Any chances Rake could go at 8HD on the claws part of What Has Magic Done with the opportunity cost of occupying your feet slot so no boots?
I would rather nobody uses regular LA at all since it messes up HD and stuff.

Rake at 8 HD seems like a good idea for AA claws option, so added it in. No extra cost, since it only works on a grapple anyway.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 11:45:06 AM »
Posting, still trying to come up with a character concept.

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 01:14:58 PM »
Garryl and Perce have okayed me making a PrC combining Cyberneticist and Mechanosynth, and I should have that done this week barring minor tweaks.  I'll post a link to it once it's done so you can look over it Osle.

Offline ariasderros

• Epic Member
  • PM me what you're giving Kudos for please.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 01:57:08 PM »
Posted requested draft.
((WIP <--> Needed: Spell Selection, 6th level feat, Gear))

I'll likely write up the BS before going back to those mechanics, though.

EDIT: and... apparently, I'll be adding on another two levels at that time  :rolleyes
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 01:59:13 PM by ariasderros »
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline Concerned Ninja Citizen

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 02:14:41 PM »
Hi there.

EDIT: Can Regideus use his portfolio crafting ability to create Maug Grafts? Given that they're both made of stone and actually attached to him they would seem to qualify as related.

If he can, how are we handling the XP component of pregame crafting? 5gp/1XP or something different?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 03:02:56 PM by Concerned Ninja Citizen »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 03:36:06 PM »
Yes, you can craft Maug Grafts yourself.

However the initial crunch already specified no pregame crafting unless it's something really vital. You already have your free graft, you'll be able to craft more stuff once you earn some exp.

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 04:00:46 PM »
Whoops, reading comprehension fail. In that case, can I pay full price for the grafts and have them as things team rocket did to him prior to his awakening?

Also, how do you feel about Leadership? It makes some sense given that Regideus is the god of a bunch of people but if it's a power level problem it isn't vital.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 06:18:40 PM »
Yes you can get the grafts pre-game paying the full gold cost.

Leadership is fine as long as you don't pull anything too cheesy. Also your cohort only gets elite array and NPC WBL.

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 06:26:06 PM »
Cool. Yeah, nothing cheesy. Probably a divine caster with a support focus but not DMM persist or anything.

Can cohorts take flaws/traits?

EDIT: On further consideration, Elemental Adept makes the most sense for my cohort and is less potentially gamebreaking than Cleric or Druid.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 07:17:31 PM by Concerned Ninja Citizen »

Offline muktidata

• Ephesians 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 12:26:56 AM »
Oscle, theres no grab moves in Killer Instinct so I'll never grapple. The Rake I'm looking at is if you hit with both your claws, you can swing your hind leg claws forward and attack with them a well. See: Dire Lion, Sphinx, etc. Also, Bite could be given a trip attack and gore a bull rush at 8hd to even the field. It's Sabrewulf's signature combo.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 01:07:47 AM by muktidata »
I appreciate the logical, cool-headed responses and the lack of profanity displayed by our community.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2013, 09:42:02 AM »
Cool. Yeah, nothing cheesy. Probably a divine caster with a support focus but not DMM persist or anything.

Can cohorts take flaws/traits?

EDIT: On further consideration, Elemental Adept makes the most sense for my cohort and is less potentially gamebreaking than Cleric or Druid.
Yes to cohorto flaws/traits. And go ahead and use spellshaping if you know how it works.

Oscle, theres no grab moves in Killer Instinct so I'll never grapple. The Rake I'm looking at is if you hit with both your claws, you can swing your hind leg claws forward and attack with them a well. See: Dire Lion, Sphinx, etc.
Those monsters have no such ability as far the 3.5 srd is concerned. Raking on pounce is mentioned, but that's a bit too much attacks for just one ability.

Also, Bite could be given a trip attack and gore a bull rush at 8hd to even the field. It's Sabrewulf's signature combo.
No need. Just pick claws, hoof/stamp (refluffled), Improved Trip, pounce and go to town.

Offline muktidata

• Ephesians 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2013, 12:22:08 AM »
That's fine. I just won't wear boots so I can pretend some of my claws are rear claw attacks. My sheets mostly finished in the characters thread. I hould be able to finish sheet, background, etc tomorrow. Looking forward to killing Goombas!
I appreciate the logical, cool-headed responses and the lack of profanity displayed by our community.

Offline ariasderros

• Epic Member
  • PM me what you're giving Kudos for please.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2013, 09:06:14 PM »
The Rake I'm looking at is if you hit with both your claws, you can swing your hind leg claws forward and attack with them a well. See: Dire Lion, Sphinx, etc.
Sounds to me more like a Rend, not a Rake.
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2013, 07:20:47 PM »
It looks like I'll be leaning more towards Cyberneticist 6/Synthevolver 2 (not in that order though) due to a writing/rules oddity and wanting to actually use lesser sockets from the start.  The PrC I was working on is iffy now since I'm having some troubles figuring out which parts of the classes I'd like to progress and meld in a new way.

Osle, is it just the SRD flaws/traits that are allowed, or might others be acceptable? http://www.realmshelps.net/datafind/feats.shtml has a bunch of flaws from Dragon Mag for instance.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 07:29:45 PM by Jackinthegreen »

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2013, 09:34:01 PM »
What's the writing/rules oddity, if I may ask?

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2013, 12:17:59 AM »
Pneumatic Calves' 5 foot flight speed with average mobility leads to some rather odd rules interactions.  Average fliers can only ascend at best 60o up and in doing so their movement is halved.  So it could be done with a double move/full round action perhaps.  However, due to average maneuverability requiring moving at least half one's flight speed in a round to stay airborne, even moving that 5 feet is impossible because half of that is 2.5 and that can't technically be done in D&D.

I suppose it could be done with the run action, but according to WotC it has to be a natural flight speed, which Pneumatic Calves doesn't seem to be unless it gets changed.

DMG 20 has the info on the different flight maneuverability levels.  The SRD also has it here.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2013, 12:35:09 AM »
What's wrong with moving 5 feet? Minimum forward speed is a minimum, not a maximum. And if the really low speed is an issue, you can always use the Temporal Accelerator module for a 10+ ft. bonus.

In any case, Space Jump and Wind Strider are the go-to flight/flight-like modules (both on the Back socket). You're covered for aerial maneuvers no matter which build you use.

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2013, 01:06:18 AM »
5 feet forward wasn't a problem.  Gaining any sort of altitude was, and if a flier can't gain some altitude then it's pretty close to gliding, but with the ability to stay aloft.  I guess that's all that could be expected at 2nd level though, so perhaps it doesn't need to be changed...  *shrug*

And yeah, once I found Space Jump and Wind Strider I decided I'd go with those instead of spending an evolve that I might not get the chance to upgrade enough to be as effective as flight at 7+ demands.