Author Topic: Trapped in a Pocket Dimension?  (Read 2807 times)

Offline Necrosnoop110

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
Trapped in a Pocket Dimension?
« on: August 17, 2019, 10:31:40 AM »
3.5 DM here.

Any suggestions for a novel way for my PCs who are trapped in a "void" type pocket dimension, to escape? They are too low level to gain access to plane shift. I want something that will challenge them and cost them dearly. Non-combat scenarios are more than ok.   

Thanks,
Necro

ETA: More details about the plane. It is slowly draining the constitution of the PCs so the clock is ticking. The plane is mostly populated by undead and constructs because they don't have a con score to lose.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 11:15:44 AM by Necrosnoop110 »

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Trapped in a Pocket Dimension?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2019, 11:07:00 AM »
There's the classic "deal with an outsider for a planeshift".

Offline Skyrock

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2019, 11:09:16 AM »
If your milieu is embedded into the broader Planescape metasetting, you could also use portals and keys from there.

Offline Necrosnoop110

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2019, 11:16:12 AM »
There's the classic "deal with an outsider for a planeshift".
That sounds cool, care to elaborate?

Thoughts on this one:
The fiend picks up a small rock off the ground and enchants it with a spell you cannot discern (on a successful Arcana check or casting of detect magic, you realize it’s from the Divination school). The fiend then demands that you always keep this rock on your person. You are magically bound to this: if the rock is left behind or discarded, it returns to your pack whenever you aren’t paying attention. The rock is always there and tends to get in the way, but imposes no mechanical penalties. Complication: The rock is a powerful scrying stone, and the fiend is able to watch you at any time, for as long as it wishes. Not only does the fiend enjoy spying on the Material Plane, but it has also been known to rent out the use of this rock to other fiends. Anyone who uses the rock cannot directly harm you or your companions…though nothing stops them from screwing with you in potentially terrible ways.
http://dndspeak.com/2018/08/100-things-demons-devils-ask-for-in-their-contracts/
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 12:37:08 PM by Necrosnoop110 »

Offline kitep

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Lookout World!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2019, 03:44:36 PM »
I think there's a "good" undead (deathless?).  Maybe they could become that, and then shift the campaign setting to staying in the void and fighting all the baddies.

They could meet some rebels.  If the party joins up, the rebels will supply them with a weapon crystal that restores 1 CON for each undead they kill.  Of course the entire party only gets one crystal so they'll have to share.  They ain't cheap, you know!

Somebody on the prime material plane casts planar ally and gets a party member as a random calling.  In exchange for the player's help, the character gets to stay on the prime material plane until done.  When the mission's done, back to the void he goes.  The player will have to negotiate to get the caster (or his friends) to call forth the rest of the party.

The players could trade their equipment for a casting or scroll of plane shift.  Or they could steal a scroll from an undead BBEG.