Author Topic: Ectoplasmic Dragon  (Read 5587 times)

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Ectoplasmic Dragon
« on: July 18, 2016, 06:36:45 PM »
Ectoplasmic Dragon

HD: d12

Level BAB Fort Ref Will Special
1 +1 +2 +0 +2 Ectoplasmic Dragon body, Whitefire Breath, +1 Int
2 +2 +3 +0 +3 Keen Senses, Ectoplasmic Blood
3 +3 +3 +1 +3 Blindsense 60 feet, Lesser Ectoplasmic Psionics, +1 Str
4 +4 +4 +1 +4 Wings
5 +5 +4 +1 +4 Advanced Ectoplasmic Psionics, +1 Con
6 +6 +5 +2 +5 Focused
7 +7 +5 +2 +5 Growth, Tail Slap, +1 Int
8 +8 +6 +2 +6 Ectoplasmic Mind
9 +9 +6 +3 +6 Greater Ectoplasmic Psionics, +1 Str
10 +10 +7 +3 +7 Psionic Skin
11 +11 +7 +3 +7 Ectoplasmic Scales
12 +12 +8 +4 +8 Frightful Presence, Growth, Crush, +1 Con
13 +13 +8 +4 +8 Planar Travel, stuff, +1 Int
14 +14 +9 +4 +9 Ectoplasmic Lord, +1 Str
15 +15 +9 +5 +9 Whitefire Aura, +1 Con
16 +16 +10 +5 +10 Ectoplasmic Mind, +1 Str, +1 Int
17 +17 +10 +5 +10 Supreme Ectoplasmic Psionics, +1 Con, +1 Int
18 +18 +11 +6 +11 Ectoplasmic Assault, +1 Str, +1 Con
19 +19 +11 +6 +11 Astral Instability, +1 Str, +1 Int
20 +20 +12 +6 +12 Growth, Tail Sweep, Ectoplasmic Mastery, +1 Str, +1 Con, +1 Int

Skill Points: (2 + Int Modifier)
Class Skills: The Ectoplasmic Dragon's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are: Appraise (Int), Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Climb (Str), Diplomacy (Cha), Gather Information (Cha), Listen (Wis),  Knowledge(any) (Int), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Psicraft (Int).

Proficiencies: The Ectoplasmic Dragon is proficient with its own natural weapons.

Class Features:

Ectoplasmic Dragon Body (Ex): The Ectoplasmic Dragon loses all other racial bonuses, and gains Dragon traits (60ft Darkvision, low light vision, and immunity to sleep and paralysis) as well as the Fire subtype. It is a medium sized dragon with a bite attack for 1d8 damage and 2 claws attack for 1d6 damage each, as well as a 40 feet base speed and a swim speed equal to its land speed. The Ectoplasmic Dragon has wings, but they're too weak to do anything for now. Its claws are capable of fine manipulation and can be used for somatic components of spellcasting or anything else a human hand could do.

The Ectoplasmic Dragon also gets a natural armor bonus equal to its Con modifier. Whenever the Ectoplasmic Dragon grows one size category, its natural armor increases by a further 1.  In addition, the Ectoplasmic Dragon is treated for all purposes as not being composed from ectoplasm so it is not affected by the dismiss ectoplasm power or any other ability that targets ectoplasm.

Whitefire Breath (Su): The ectoplasmic Dragon spits out globs of raw explosive ectoplasm.  Unlike normal breath weapons, Whitefire Breath isn't a line or a cone.  Instead, it can be used anywhere within range and explodes as a burst weapon upon impact (no attack roll necessary as normal for breath weapons).

This breath weapon can be used every 1d4 rounds and has a range of 30 foot dealing 1d6 fire damage/HD to all creatures within 5 feet, Reflex DC of (10+1/2 HD+Con modifier) for half damage. The range increases by 10 feet for every Ectoplasmic Dragon level after first, and the burst radius increases by 5 feet for every third ectoplasmic dragon level (3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18).

Ectoplasmic Blood:An Ectoplasmic Dragon receives powers known and powers per day as a Psion of 2/3 its level, including using Int as its main manifesting stat.  Instead of gaining a primary discipline, the Ectoplasmic Dragon adds all powers related to the creation and manipulation of Ectoplasm to the list of powers that it can learn. See the spoiler below for all Ectoplasmic Powers in the Expanded Psionics Handbook as well as Complete Psionic (all class abilities referencing Ectoplasmic Powers refer to the powers in the spoiler).

(click to show/hide)

If it multiclasses as a psion, the manifesting stacks.  If the dragon takes a manifesting prc, it may choose to advance its manifesting as that of a psion.

Dragon level Psion Manifesting
-

Keen senses (Ex): The Ectoplasmic Dragon sees four times as well as a human in shadowy illumination and twice as well in normal light. It also has darkvision out to 120 feet.

Blindsense (Ex): As the normal ability, range 60 feet.

Ectoplasmic Psionics: Starting at 3rd level, the Ectoplasmic Dragon can use certain powers as PLAs with a manifester level equal to HD, and Int to determine the DCs a certain number of times per day.

Lesser: At 3rd level, gain Chameleon and Dismiss Ectoplasm 1/day per 3 HD.

Advanced: At 5th level, gain Ectoplasmic Cocoon and Negate Psionics 1/day per 2 HD.

Greater: At 9th level, gain Energy Barrior and Catapsi 1/day per 2 HD.

Supreme: At 17th level, gain Ectoplasmic Cocoon, Mass 1/day per 10 HD.

Ability Score Increase: The Ectoplasmic Dragon ability scores increase by the shown amount.  This table is not cumulative.

Dragon level
Increase
+1 Int
+1 Str
+1 Con
+1 Int
+1 Str
+1 Con
+1 Int
+1 Str
+1 Con
+1 Str, +1 Int
+1 Con, +1 Int
+1 Str, +1 Con
+1 Str, +1 Int
+1 Str, +1 Con, +1 Int
For a total of +7 Str, +6 Con, +7 Int at 20th level.

Wings (Ex): At 4th level the Ectoplasmic Dragon becomes able to fly at the speed of 10 feet per HD, with poor maneuverability. The maneuverability doesn't increase naturally, but they can take the Improved Flight feat (found in Complete Adventurer and Races of the Wild) which increases maneuverability by one step. Each wing can also be now used to deliver a natural attack dealing 1d4 damage.

Focused (Ex): Ectoplasmic Dragons are focused on the study of ectoplasm and how to use it. At 6th level he gains a racial bonus on Craft and Psicraft checks equal to 1/2 HD.

Growth (Ex): At 7th level the Ectoplasmic Dragon grows to large size.
                    At 12th level the Ectoplasmic Dragon grows to huge size.
                    At 20th level the Ectoplasmic Dragon grows to gargantuan size.

Its AC, bonus to hit, base damage, grapple and skills change accordingly, but it doesn't get any ability score bonus or penalties.

Tail slap (Ex): The Ectoplasmic Dragon can now make a tail slap attack dealing 1d8 damage (already taking in acount large size).

Ectoplasmic Mind: At 8th and 16th level the Ectoplasmic Dragon learns one power of a level it can manifest from the Ectoplasmic Powers list.

Psionic skin (Su): At 10th level the Ectoplasmic Dragon gains SR equal to its HD+11. It may raise or lower it at any time as a free action.

Gem Scales (Su): At 11th level the Ectoplasmic Dragon gains DR/magic equal to half its HD.

Frightful Presence (Su): At 12th level this ability takes effect automatically whenever the dragon attacks, charges, or flies overhead. Enemies within a radius of 30 feet × half the dragon's level are subject to the effect if they have fewer HD than the dragon. A potentially affected enemy that succeeds on a Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 HD + Cha mod) remains immune to that dragon’s frightful presence for 24 hours. On a failure, enemies with 4 or less HD become panicked  for 4d6 rounds and those with 5 or more HD become shaken for 4d6 rounds. Dragons ignore the frightful presence of other dragons.

Crush (Ex): At 12th level the Ectoplasmic Dragon can make a crush attack dealing 2d8 damage base, already taking in account huge size.
(click to show/hide)

Planar Travel (Sp): At 13th level, the Ectoplasmic Dragon can travel to the Astral plane and back to the Material plane 1/day per 3 HD as a Plane Shift spell with CL equal to HD. Save DC is (10 + 1/2 HD + Int mod).

Ectoplasmic Lord: At 14th level the Ectoplasmic Dragon gains +2 Manifester level to manifest Ectoplasmic Powers, and such powers also cost 1 less power point to manifest, to a minimum of 1 power point.

Whitefire Aura (Su): At 15th level the Ectoplasmic Dragon can use its breath weapon on itself to initiate a whitefire aura 1/day per 5 HD as a standard action (initiating this does no damage but does count as a use of the breath weapon). It lasts 1 round/HD. While the aura lasts, any creature striking the dragon with a natural or a handheld melee weapon deals normal damage, but at the same time the attacker takes damage equal to the Ectoplasmic Dragon's breath weapon damage. If the attacker makes a successful Reflex save (DC same as breath weapon), it reduces damage by half.

Ectoplasmic Assault (Ex): At 18th level the Ectoplasmic Dragon becomes able to combine its ectoplasmic powers together.  A number of times per day equal to its Int mod, when using Whitefire Breath or Whitefire Aura as a standard action the Ectoplasmic Dragon can manifest one of its ectoplasmic powers as a swift action.  The manifested power must target at least one square that overlaps with the Whitefire Breath, or a square in or adjacent to the space of the dragon if Whitefire Aura was used.

Astral Instability (Su): At 19th level the Ectoplasmic Dragon's natural erratic behavior combines with the astral essence that it surrounds itself with to the point that the Ectoplasmic Dragon's essence is strewn across the entire Astral Plane.  It becomes immune to all indirect divinations, they either give a random result about the Ectoplasmic Dragon if the diviner is in another plane or reveal the Ectoplasmic Dragon's position if the diviner is in the astral plane as not, but still no other information can be discerned about the Ectoplasmic Dragon besides their position by using indirect divinations even if the diviner is in the astral plane.

Tail sweep (Ex): This special attack allows a dragon of at least Gargantuan size to sweep with its tail as a standard action. The sweep affects a half-circle with a radius of 30 feet (or 40 feet for a Colossal dragon), extending from an intersection on the edge of the dragon’s space in any direction. Creatures within the swept area are affected if they are four or more size categories smaller than the dragon. A tail sweep automatically deals 2d6 plus 1½ times the dragon’s Strength bonus (round down). Affected creatures can attempt Reflex saves to take half damage (DC equal to that of the dragon’s breath weapon).

Ectoplasmic Mastery (Su): The Ectoplasmic Dragon becomes the master of all ectoplasm.  The damage caused by Whitefire Breath and Whitefire Aura is now untyped instead of fire damage.  In addition, all ectoplasmic powers the Ectoplasmic Dragon manifests can no longer be dismissed by dismiss ectoplasm (or affected by any other power/ability that negatively targets ectoplasm).  Lastly, if any ectoplasmic power the Ectoplasmic Dragon manifests would wink out or be suppressed by an antimagic/null psionics field, the dragon can make a manifester level check opposed by the manifester/caster level check of the creator of the antimagic/null psioncs field in order to keep the ectoplasmic power active.  This check needs to be made only when the power enters the antimagic/null psionics field.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Ectoplasmic Dragon
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 09:17:28 PM »
Source

I'm ready for some feedback.  I haven't decided how to do stat boosts, and I need 4 more class abilities.

Also, the Ectoplasmic Powers spoiler could use a going over.

Offline TC X0 Lt 0X

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • The TC Storywriter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 11:58:13 PM »
Crystal Dragon is mentioned in its body entry.

Overall it looks pretty solid.
Im really bad at what I do.
A+

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 10:41:29 AM »
Fixed, and thanks. :)

Edit: Fixed the table and added a capstone.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 11:38:21 AM »
Thoughts on class features:

Shaped Ectoplasm (Su): At 18th level the Ectoplasmic Dragon learns to shape the ectoplasm within itself.  The dragon treats itself as an Astral Construct of half its level for the purposes of all feats and abilities it has that affect astral constructs.  In addition, it gains Astral Construct abilities as a construct of that level.  These abilities can be changed with five minutes of intense concentration.

(Shaped Ectoplasm feels like it should be a scaling class feature gained at a lower level but I don't know where I would put it.)

I feel like the 19th level ability should be related to creating the demiplane of ectoplasm using the Genesis power as a base but I"m not sure how to word it.

Also, Ectoplasmic Dragons are Int based instead of Cha so I'm thinking about changing the class to match that (instead of copying the stats of the gem dragons).

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 01:50:29 PM »
I believe this is going somewhat overboard.

The breath should have damage scaled down since it inflicts blindness and has supeeior targeting.

Gaining astral xonstruct abiliries would be worth its own class.

Also none of the other dragons gain anything close to their customized planes.

The base chassis and capstone look good on the other hand.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2016, 02:56:13 PM »
Blindness was a copy/paste error from another dragon, removed.

I have absolutely no idea what to do with the dead levels then.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2016, 04:14:09 PM »
Added Psionic Repair Damage to the Ectoplasmic Powers list so that there's a second level power on the list.

Adjusted Whitefire Aura so that it does count as a use of the breath weapon (originally it did not).

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2016, 04:36:37 PM »
I would suggest abilities to support the dragon/ectoplasm hybridism. Like full attack with natural weapons and manifest an ectoplasm power, and/or use the breath weapon and manifest an ectoplasmic power in the same area.

Also their fluff says they're quite unpredictable so something anti-divinations, initiative boost and/or to make enemies flat-footed may be in order.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2016, 05:32:33 PM »
Ectoplasmic Assault added, not sure what the best usage restriction would be.

Astral Instability added, I'm not sure about the phrasing.

Any thoughts about using Int instead of Cha for all abilities?

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2016, 08:51:01 AM »
Usually the other dragons breat boosts have a per day limitation based on their main mental score so that could be ok for Ectoplasmic Assault as well.

Astral Instability should probably be limited to indirect divinations. I think a better wording would be: "It becomes immune to all indirect divinations, they either give a random result about the Ectoplasmic Dragon if the diviner is in another plane or reveal the Ectoplasmic Dragon's position if the diviner is in the astral plane as not, but still no other information can be discerned about the Ectoplasmic Dragon besides their position by using indirect divinations even if the diviner is in the astral plane."

Int based sounds ok.

Still needs ability scores boosts.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2016, 11:26:49 AM »
Ectoplasmic Assault now usable Int mod times per day.

Astral Instability changed, I like that wording.

Everything (except Frightful Presence) changed from Cha to Int.

I'm still pondering ability score boosts.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2016, 05:41:10 PM »
Stat boosts added.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2016, 10:38:36 AM »
Cleaned up some typos and standardized some of the language.

Any additional feedback?

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2016, 06:53:34 PM »
I have no further critique. Added to the index!