Author Topic: Prestige Bard mini-handbook?  (Read 3492 times)

Offline h45hc0d3

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
Prestige Bard mini-handbook?
« on: July 27, 2013, 07:42:03 AM »
I've been looking at the prestige bard lately. It's intriguing, on the surface; potentially adding a large number of spells to a beguiler/dread necro/warmage list is a strong move, which is why rainbow servant and even humble sandshaper get a lot of play. However, when I looked through the boards for thoughts on Prestige Bard being a good (or even adequate) option for expanding a spell list, I didn't see much. I went through and did some culling myself, so I guess I'll start at the beginning.

Prestige Bard is a 15-level prestige class from Unearthed Arcana that is, I believe, Open Gaming Content as it's hosted on the D20 srd. Here's a link. http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/prestigiousCharacterClasses.htm#prestigeBard

Now, the most important part of the page, for our purposes, is actually the section right before this, on "Unique Spells." Apparently, the bard spell list "contains a number of spells that don't appear on other classes' spell lists." It then recommends that these spells be made available without much fuss, using the fun term level, which has several meanings in terms of D&D. The most sane one here appears to be the reading of spell level; that is, a prestige bard gives bard-only spells known to the class' base casting spell list at the same spell level a bard would cast them at. The second part is that bard-only spells found in other books ought to also be available, at the DM's discretion. From the wording of this, I assumed "other books" meant "non-core" books.

Given all of this, what makes a spell a unique bard spell? I looked at 3 criteria: only on the spell list of a bard, unless the only other classes listed in the spell's listing were non-prestige; and I also added it to the list if it was available as either a bard or a domain spell, but not as a base cleric spell.

And with that said, here's the list of spells I was able to compile, along with short notes and thoughts about each.

List of Bard-Only Spells for the purpose of Prestige Bard

0th --
(click to show/hide)
1st
(click to show/hide)
2nd --   
(click to show/hide)
3rd --   
(click to show/hide)
4th --   
(click to show/hide)
5th --   
(click to show/hide)
6th --   
(click to show/hide)

Interesting Note: Nixie's Grace and Inner Beauty can stack. If straight charisma bonuses are needed for temporary uses, like turn undead for divine metamagic, this can likely also be combo'd with the cleric domain that gives a Cha bonus once a day. If for more permanent applications, like spell DCs or bonus spell slots, then persisting them also appears to be an option. Note that Nixie's grace includes bonuses to more than straight charisma, too.

Interesting Note 2: Invoke the Cerulean Sign from Lords of Madness is described as universal; if you really want it, and it's not on your base list, point that passage out to your DM. WARNING: please don't do this unless you're already fighting, or would like to fight aberrations.

If there's enough interest in this beyond the short-ish list of purportedly unique bard spells I've listed here, I may expand this slightly. As I have time, I'll edit in a few more observations about the spells. The non-core options appear to be stronger reasons to dip Prestige Bard, but a player who dips for glibness or modify memory for thematic reasons isn't going to get flak from me.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 07:47:19 AM by h45hc0d3 »

Offline DavidWL

• View Profile
Re: Prestige Bard mini-handbook?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 07:54:48 PM »
Nice observations.

Fugue is a pretty cool spell too ... shouldn't be hard to reliably have high perform checks --> will vs. area stun.  With something like Sonorous Hum, really bunk.

Best,
David