Author Topic: Interest Check-Blood Crusade against Thoon (3.X, high level, Evil)  (Read 71163 times)

Offline Rekmond

• DM in Training
    • View Profile
Re: Interest Check-Blood Crusade against Thoon (3.X, high level, Evil)
« Reply #80 on: November 15, 2014, 01:51:22 AM »
Would a group for this still be looking to add any members? Looking for something interesting to start in on for my 1st game on the site and 3.5 is my fantasy land.
Not to mention the background is something beyond interesting. Even more interesting than the Lich Wars.
Although I'll admit to never having started at level 20 before and not being that good of an optimizer. Rare that I'm ever in a game that makes it past level 10.
Still willing to give it a shot if there's an open slot.
I want to be born. To live. That is all I want. -Aura

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 15, 2014, 11:17:05 AM »
I'd say try to make up a character and see how it goes. Until Oslecamo actually picks players and starts the game, no one's got a fixed place in the lineup.

Be warned though that the encounters will be optimized against a party full of level 20 characters using a lot of homebrew and also heavily optimized, and thus combat will be even more deadly.  If you want help with your build to make sure it's up to the same standard, feel free to ask! Most of us are more than willin to give advice and help out.

Offline ksbsnowowl

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Warrior Skald, teller of tales.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 15, 2014, 12:01:33 PM »
Just checking, under oslecamo's rules, if I'm going with an Abishai, I don't have to take my first level in Abishai, right?  I can take a level of Bard or something, then dive into Abishai?

I'm looking at doing a weird split two-level dip into Bard, simply because it has the skill points and class skill list I need to help meet PrC prereq's.  By 20th level I'd be a Bard 2/Abishai 8/Ur-Priest 3/Keeper of the Cerulean Sign 7.  I'd get some decent bonuses against aberrations from KotCS, I'd have 9th level spells, a CL of 15 (19 if I take practiced spellcaster), regeneration, flight, etc.  Heck, I'll probably try to experiment with Divine Metamagic.

Thoughts?

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 15, 2014, 12:10:40 PM »
If an Abishai is a race from the get-go, then... yes? You can't start taking the racial class later.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 15, 2014, 12:47:31 PM »
Just checking, under oslecamo's rules, if I'm going with an Abishai, I don't have to take my first level in Abishai, right?  I can take a level of Bard or something, then dive into Abishai?
[/b][/size]Do I need to take those classes at 1st level?
Yes, unless you go for the monster templates, wich are mostly treated as Prcs which you can take when you meet the pre-reqs.
Kind of sucks when someone wants to start with a Class with a significant amount of Skill Points (changeling rogue!)

Thoughts?
Ur-Priest and DMM with specialty in the intended foes. It sounds like you're on track :)

Are you considering Dragonfire? I don't think you can pick up Words Of Creation if you're evil, I'd have to look to confirm through.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 15, 2014, 01:02:39 PM »
Words of Creation is in the Book of Exalted Deeds. I'll give you one guess how dumb it is to try and use them if you're evil. :P

Offline Rekmond

• DM in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 15, 2014, 04:48:15 PM »
Well, considering I've been writing down various ideas and have eliminated only about half of them (more if I know character niches) that would likely be my starting point. Not to mention fighting off my shapeshifter obsession.

My most likely ideas include a Phasm 7/Fiendish Creature 1 (Fiendish Phasm, so fun to say)with the rest of the build being undecided.
Then there is the Dvati 1/ Half-Fiend 3/ with the remainder being either Shrine Maiden or Eternal Royal (depending on best path to use for the Immortal Smoke discipline.)

There's a few other ideas, but these two are the top contenders. For now.
Any thoughts?

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 15, 2014, 05:31:05 PM »
If you're going down Immortal Smoke, I'd say Eternal Royal. CHA-based saves and everything.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 15, 2014, 06:36:37 PM »
I didn't even know that Discipline existed, the 1st level strike is perfect for assassinations.
I need some Maneuver granting items now, what Slot do you think it'd be? Hands like Shadow Hand?
Edit - Hmm... Seems pretty fire-like, a Cloak (per desert wind) seems to fit better.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 06:42:37 PM by SorO_Lost »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 15, 2014, 06:41:54 PM »
I didn't even know that Discipline existed, the 1st level strike is perfect for assassinations.
I need some Maneuver granting items now, what Slot do you think it'd be? Hands like Shadow Hand?

I don't think Os is going to let you get a feat-restricted maneuver on an item.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 15, 2014, 07:10:12 PM »
Well nothing in Forbidden School disallows creating items or from using Martial Study to select it. :p

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 15, 2014, 07:19:42 PM »
Well nothing in Forbidden School disallows creating items or from using Martial Study to select it. :p

Initiating the countdown. Ditto for making sure Ancient Temple doesn't allow it. :P

Offline Rekmond

• DM in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 15, 2014, 08:10:46 PM »
on the Eternal Royal. As I assume the forbidden school doesn't count into the 2 schools of maneuvers allowed by the class (is that correct?), what other school would you recommend as secondary?

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 15, 2014, 08:28:46 PM »
on the Eternal Royal. As I assume the forbidden school doesn't count into the 2 schools of maneuvers allowed by the class (is that correct?), what other school would you recommend as secondary?

Iron Heart for IHS? I'm not a huge fan of mixing ToBhou schools.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 15, 2014, 10:54:28 PM »
Iron Heart's always good. However, I suppose it somewhat depends on what you're looking to accomplish.

Personally I don't really see the appeal in the Forbidden schools as they have a not inconsequential cost to initiating their maneuvers (and you might not get enough downtime to meditate away those penalties), but whatever floats your boat.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 15, 2014, 11:08:00 PM »
Iron Heart's always good. However, I suppose it somewhat depends on what you're looking to accomplish.

Personally I don't really see the appeal in the Forbidden schools as they have a not inconsequential cost to initiating their maneuvers (and you might not get enough downtime to meditate away those penalties), but whatever floats your boat.

Immortal Smoke's penalty is at least somewhat countered by its resurrecting stances. Plus the 9th level stance full restores HP when you die, along with fireball attacks and flight. 

Offline ksbsnowowl

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Warrior Skald, teller of tales.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 16, 2014, 12:44:33 AM »
[/b][/size]Do I need to take those classes at 1st level?
Yes, unless you go for the monster templates, wich are mostly treated as Prcs which you can take when you meet the pre-reqs.
Kind of sucks when someone wants to start with a Class with a significant amount of Skill Points (changeling rogue!)
Drat, but not surprising.  I'll have to figure out how to meet the pre-req's another way.  Knowledge Devotion will help me get another Knowledge skill, which will help, and will allow any attacks I make to be more effective...  Hmmm... time to count skill points...

....maybe.  ...

At least it isn't gestalt.
Hating my game, are you?  :p

Did we ever get info on stat generation from oslecamo?  Knowing how much I can afford to put into Intelligence will possibly make the above easier to figure out...
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 12:52:06 AM by ksbsnowowl »

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 16, 2014, 03:42:14 AM »
Nah, he said it would be a week or two before he could actually give much attention to this idea he's playing with due to schoolwork or something. That was last week :p

So nothing beyond what is in the OP has been affirmed.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 16, 2014, 09:46:29 AM »
Almost all of Oslecamo's games have the same basic parameters:
32 point buy
2 flaws, 1 trait (SRD only)
Standard WBL
HP are max at first level, then either average or rolled (not a combo of both)
Just about all 3.X published material is ok, Homebrew is ok but must be reviewed by the DM

Offline Rekmond

• DM in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 16, 2014, 06:12:00 PM »
Actually, I might be altering the Dvati option with Chaos instead of Half-Fiend. Chaos style Martyrdoom mixed with the Dvati Two Bodies, One Heart as well as the self resurrecting tricks from Immortal Smoke.

Also need to work on the Phasm path and one of those alt paths has randomly gotten more appealing, heheh, size tiny.

...I need someone to just bounce odd ideas off of.