Author Topic: Titanic Creature  (Read 47589 times)

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
Titanic Creature
« on: March 27, 2013, 07:35:27 PM »
Titanic Creature

Prerequisites:
-Must be a creature that eats a LOT.

HD:d12
Level Bab Fort Ref Will Feature
1+0 + 2+0+0Titanic Body, Bigger is Better, +1 Str, +1 Con
2+1 +3+0+0Size Matters,  Bigger is Better, +1 Str, +1 Con
3+2 +3+1+1Size Matters,  Bigger is Better, +1 Str, +1 Con
4+3 +4+1+1Size Matters,  Bigger is Better, +1 Str, +1 Con
5+3 +4+1+1Size Matters,  Bigger is Better, +1 Str, +1 Con
6+4 +5+2+2Size Matters,  Bigger is Better, +1 Str, +1 Con
7+5 +5+2+2Size Matters,  Bigger is Better, +1 Str, +1 Con
8+6 +6+2+2Size Matters,  Bigger is Better, +1 Str, +1 Con
9+6 +6+3+3Size Matters,  Bigger is Better, +1 Str, +1 Con
10+7+6+3+3Size Matters,  Bigger is Better, +1 Str, +1 Con
11+8+7+3+3Size Matters,  Bigger is Better, +1 Str, +1 Con
12+9+7+4+4Size Matters,  Bigger is Better, +1 Str, +1 Con
13+9+8+4+4Size Matters,  Bigger is Better, +1 Str, +1 Con
Skills:2+int modifier per level, x4 if taken at first level.
Class Skills: Balance, Climb, Diplomacy, Jump, Intimidate, Knowledge (any), Profession (any),Perform (any), Swim, Survival.

Proficiencies:A Titanic creature gains no new Proficiencies

Features:
Titanic Body: If the Titanic creature was smaller than medium, it grows to medium sized. It also gains a bonus to Nat armor equal to its Con bonus. If it already had an equal or better Nat armor, increase it by 1 instead.

Bigger is Better: At each level of Titanic creature, it can pick one of the following options. You can only pick each once unless noticed otherwise
(click to show/hide)

Ability Score Increase: The Titanic Creature gains +1 Str and +1 Con at each level, for a total of +13 Str and +13 Con at  13th level.

Size Matters: Starting at 2nd, the Titanic Creature picks one of the following options at each level. Unless otherwise noticed, each can only be picked one time and used once every 1d4 rounds, as the titanic creature recover its balance. Alternatively pick another from Bigger is Better.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 03:13:58 AM by oslecamo »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
Re: Titanic Creature
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 07:40:21 PM »
ECL 33 Titanic Tarrasque. :D

Offline Draconas

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 05:17:18 AM »
Here are a few ideas for Bigger is Better and Size Matters

Bigger is Better
Big Picture- The Titanic Creature’s sense organs adapt to their larger size, and the larger amount of data they receive. This grants you a bonus on either spot checks, listen checks, or search checks equal to the number of size categories over medium you are. Can be chosen up to three times, each time for a different skill.

Just a Scratch- This one could be one of two, depending on how you look at it.
Either
Due to wounds being proportionally smaller, you gain fast healing equal to the number of times you have taken Growth.
Or
Due to wounds being proportionally smaller, any damage you would take from an attack is reduced by (either a fraction of HD or a flat number) for every size category you are larger than the opponent. This does not apply to attacks that target an area, although it does apply to ones that can have multiple targets without affecting an area such as chain lightning.
(This one basically represents the fact that due to increased size, things that would have been grievous injuries are much smaller on your body, but they might also therefore heal much faster)

Slow metabolism- You only need half as much food and water as a creature of your size normally would.
(Actually, does it say anywhere what the food requirements are for each size? The only thing I could find was that small characters need half as much food and water as medium characters.)

Size Matters
Vacuum- lets you pull creatures toward you if they fail a strength check. Possibly usable as a move, swift, or free action so you can draw creatures toward you and hit them in the same round

Offline Threadnaught

• 1% good ideas 99% crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 02:08:16 PM »
The original template was also pretty dull, basically just bigger numbers and a trample attack. Time for list of abilities!
Two of them actually, one for passive stuff, another for active special attacks. I sought to add iconic abilities one expects from big badass monsters. May add some more if I get the inspiration or someone offers interesting ideas.

Yeah, my favourite is the Moving Terrain, reminds me of Shadow of the Colossus and a class someone called ErrantX was working on over at Giantitp, well some of my suggested abilities for the class. I just enjoy the whole Discworld concept of a massive creature with life on it's back.

Original template suposedly was just to vermins and animals, but screw that, I got those custom “bigger than colossal“ rules, may as well use them.

What, you mean +1 to Natural Armour per size increase?

ECL 33 Titanic Tarrasque. :D

With Monster of Legend, 35HD, flight and a fort on it's back. :plotting

Ooh, here's a truly ridiculous sized creature, Xixecal, Mega Huge size. Earth is Mega Gargantuan.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 02:25:16 PM by oslecamo »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 02:36:23 PM »
Monster Hybrid Tarrasque/Monster Of Legend/Titanic Creature/Xixecal. Rearrange Tarrasque or Xixecal.

How big is the sun? :P

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 03:32:09 PM »
Here are a few ideas for Bigger is Better and Size Matters

Bigger is Better
Big Picture- The Titanic Creature’s sense organs adapt to their larger size, and the larger amount of data they receive. This grants you a bonus on either spot checks, listen checks, or search checks equal to the number of size categories over medium you are. Can be chosen up to three times, each time for a different skill.

Just a Scratch- This one could be one of two, depending on how you look at it.
Either
Due to wounds being proportionally smaller, you gain fast healing equal to the number of times you have taken Growth.
Or
Due to wounds being proportionally smaller, any damage you would take from an attack is reduced by (either a fraction of HD or a flat number) for every size category you are larger than the opponent. This does not apply to attacks that target an area, although it does apply to ones that can have multiple targets without affecting an area such as chain lightning.
(This one basically represents the fact that due to increased size, things that would have been grievous injuries are much smaller on your body, but they might also therefore heal much faster)

Slow metabolism- You only need half as much food and water as a creature of your size normally would.
(Actually, does it say anywhere what the food requirements are for each size? The only thing I could find was that small characters need half as much food and water as medium characters.)

Size Matters
Vacuum- lets you pull creatures toward you if they fail a strength check. Possibly usable as a move, swift, or free action so you can draw creatures toward you and hit them in the same round

All great ideas, added them with a few tweaks of my own! What do you think?

Offline Threadnaught

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 05:43:32 PM »
Vacuum-As a swift or move action you produce either a cone with 5 feet per HD (doubled for each size category you're bigger than medium). Creatures and objects smaller than you inside the cone must suceed on a Str check against you (taking a -1 penalty for each size category they're smaller than you), or be pulled towards you 10 feet for each point they failed the check, until reaching a square adjacent to you. This movement doesn't provoke attacks of opportunity.

You mention a cone and describe the effects of a cone, but there's no option for a line. Is there supposed to be an option for a 10 foot line per HD, or is the "either" something you forgot to delete when editing?

Also the second pic, is that Samus, or something from Warhammer?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 05:47:59 PM by Threadnaught »

Offline Draconas

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 05:44:12 PM »
All great ideas, added them with a few tweaks of my own! What do you think?
They're great! Certainly improved over what I put down. :clap
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 05:51:07 PM by Draconas »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013, 06:12:27 PM »
Nice!

Vacuum is just suposed to be a cone, fixed the leftover typo.

The second pic is an ultralisk facing a terran marine. You can check one in glorious action here.

Offline Threadnaught

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 06:47:02 PM »
Hi, me again. I just had a glance at it to make sure there wasn't anything left over and the action to activate Vacuum is.

Vacuum-As a swift or move action

I'll never get a job as a proof reader. :(

Love watching StarCraft. Probably too complex to play.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2013, 06:50:40 PM »
This is a fantastic addition to Awakened Monstrous Crab in addition to Monster of Legend and in place of Paragon. :D

Offline DavidWL

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2013, 02:15:26 AM »
Thank - full of awesome.

Improved Area Attack-Double the width, length and height of your area attacks and increase any of their DCs by 1. You can pick this multiple times, it stacks, but no more times than you picked Growth.

Raw Power- Hit Point damage from a special attack other than poison or trample increases one die step and any save DCs increase by 1. You can pick this multiple times (for example, if you had a breath weapon that dealt 1d6 per HD, it now deals 1d8 per HD, and if you picked it another time it would deal 2d6 per HD). You cannot pick this more times than you picked the Growth option.

Either individually can have impressive results.

Doubling area (which is a real-world item) 4 times --> *16 in each dimension.  an attack that targets 1 square becomes an attack that targets a 16 square radius ... pretty boss. 

And the damage you deal from a number of natural attacks increase with size anyway, so this stacking would allow massive damage with natural attacks.

While there isn't an obvious way of combining them, I'm sure it is out there.

Then I asked myself - is an area effect melee attack which is a save or die so bad at levels in the low teens and frankly, I think this is all ok.

Moving Terrain-

Very cool.

Shrug it Off-If you sucessfully save against any area effect that didn't fully cover your area, you don't suffer any ill effects. Single-target effects always count as smaller size than you. If you would suffer an ill effect from a creature smaller than you whitout save, you can attempt a normal Fort save with DC 10+1/2 HD of the attacker+Attacker's highest stat mod to fully resist it.

A Wow-cool ability.  Sort of like mettle+evasion.  Great flavor.  A little strong - perhaps make it 2 picks total?

Right Under Your Nose

Lol!  Awesome.

Big Picture

This is a little weak ... the bonuses are ~+4 at 20th level to a few skills and + 20' to range?  Perhaps beef this up?

Size Matters: Starting at 2nd, the Titanic Creature picks one of the following options at each level. Unless otherwise noticed, each can only be picked one time and used once every 1d4 rounds, as the titanic creature recover its balance. Alternatively pick another from Bigger is Better.

I think the bigger is better picks are ... well ... better :).  I suspect if it were me, I'd focus on a more limited offense (1 or 2 ways of effective offense) and great defense.

Best,
David

Offline Concerned Ninja Citizen

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2013, 02:45:55 AM »
Thank - full of awesome.

Improved Area Attack-Double the width, length and height of your area attacks and increase any of their DCs by 1. You can pick this multiple times, it stacks, but no more times than you picked Growth.

Doubling area (which is a real-world item) 4 times --> *16 in each dimension.  an attack that targets 1 square becomes an attack that targets a 16 square radius ... pretty boss.

That's probably why the ability specifies that you double the "width length and height" of the area rather than saying "double the area." An attack that hits one square has a width and length of 5ft. Doubled, that's 10ft. 

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2013, 04:06:21 AM »
Vacuum: Good thing this is Dnd because I have tried drawing a penny towards me with air inhalation alone and can't manage it. Can more easily blow it away though.

Right Under Your Nose
Very weird ability. High level medium monsters could ironically just take a dip in Titanic for the sole purpose of getting a one ability bundle deal to instantly become a ninja. Getting into Titanic not to get bigger and better at being bigger, but only to become a ninja. Very weird.

Moving Terrain
Depending on the size difference of those on the creature (Ie; a huge creature walking on a gargantuan creature platform comparent to a small creature on the same platform being), it might be a good idea to have them roll Ride checks when the creature is moving or fighting without caring for the well-seatedness of his passengers to avoid the violent motions throwing them off-board. Can still actively try to shake hem off, but its more logical that way. I mean, it shouldn't be that easy to stay on it when the platform creature is, say, tumbling.

Crash
Wouldn't range increment doubling be more appropriate by making it in relation to how much bigger you are than the thrown creature? Throwing a rat far is easier than throwing a cow.

Body Slam
Might want to put a size requirement on this one. Medium creature gets a 5ft area attack.
We get the idea but for clarity you might want to specify that you roll attack once against the Ac of those within the space of the attack instead of just having your attack become an area effect. Mostly because area effects usually do not require attack rolls and there is no saving throw indicated for half or negated damage.
Also perhaps the area of effect should be two size category smaller than the creature, since the fist of a medium sized creature is considered tiny sized, with maybe taking it again allowing for one size smaller than you instead.

All the same, very neat template you just made - especially considering how unexciting the original is.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 01:45:10 PM by Anomander »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2013, 08:19:58 AM »
Hi, me again. I just had a glance at it to make sure there wasn't anything left over and the action to activate Vacuum is.

Vacuum-As a swift or move action

I'll never get a job as a proof reader. :(
It is suposed to be activeable as either move or swift action.

Love watching StarCraft. Probably too complex to play.
I'll admit that ladder is pretty cutthroat, however the campaign is pretty nice (customize your army weee), and then there's the arcade where there's hundreds of player-made mods for all tastes.

Thank - full of awesome.
Yet still didn't get a single +1 respect. :P

And the damage you deal from a number of natural attacks increase with size anyway, so this stacking would allow massive damage with natural attacks.
Raw Power only applies to special attacks, which doesn't include natural weapons.

Shrug it Off-If you sucessfully save against any area effect that didn't fully cover your area, you don't suffer any ill effects. Single-target effects always count as smaller size than you. If you would suffer an ill effect from a creature smaller than you whitout save, you can attempt a normal Fort save with DC 10+1/2 HD of the attacker+Attacker's highest stat mod to fully resist it.

A Wow-cool ability.  Sort of like mettle+evasion.  Great flavor.  A little strong - perhaps make it 2 picks total?
Done.

Big Picture

This is a little weak ... the bonuses are ~+4 at 20th level to a few skills and + 20' to range?  Perhaps beef this up?
Big Picture now adds Spot and Listen as class skills and allows you to use Con instead of Wis for them.

I think the bigger is better picks are ... well ... better :).  I suspect if it were me, I'd focus on a more limited offense (1 or 2 ways of effective offense) and great defense.
I would say that's up to the player. If you want to load up on passives and just get 1-2 tricks you can, but the class still offers the option of gaining combat variety every level except first for those who want more variety.

Vacuum: Good thing this is Dnd because I have drawing a penny towards me with air inhalation alone. Can more easily blow it away though.
Added option to push things away from you with vacuum.

Right Under Your Nose
Very weird ability. High level of medium monsters could ironically just take a dip in Titanic for the sole purpose of getting a one ability bundle deal to instantly become a ninja. Getting into Titanic not to get bigger and better at being bigger, but only to become a ninja. Very weird.
Good point, added prerequisite of having to pick Growth at least once to pick Right Under Your Nose.

Moving Terrain
Depending on the size different of those on the creature (Ie; a huge creature walking on a gargantuan creature platform comparent to a small creature on the same platform being), it might be a good idea to have them roll Ride checks when the creature is moving or fighting without caring for the well-seatedness of his passengers to avoid the violent motions throwing them off-board. Can still actively try to shake hem off, but its more logical that way. I mean, it shouldn't be that easy to stay on it when the platform creature is, say, tumbling.
I'll admit that makes sense, but I also feel like that will add just another layer of complication for too little gain. The whole point of that ability is making the titanic creature a viable mobile plataform for fortresses/cities/armies, so forcing ride checks from everyone inside whenever combat starts will just bog down the game if you ask me.

Crash
Wouldn't range increment doubling be more appropriate by making it in relation to how much bigger you are than the thrown creature? Throwing a rat far is easier than throwing a cow.
Done.

Body Slam
Might want to put a size requirement on this one. Medium creature gets a 5ft area attack.
We get the idea but for clarity you might want to specify that you roll attack once against the Ac of those within the space of the attack instead of just having your attack become an area effect. Mostly because area effects usually do not require attack rolls and there is no saving throw indicated for half or negated damage.
Also perhaps the area of effect should be two size category smaller than the creature, since the fist of a medium sized creature is considered tiny sized, with maybe taking it again allowing for one size smaller than you instead.
It is suposed to combo with other single target attacks as well, tried to clarify as best as possible. Also changed the area of effect to be two size category smaller than the creature.

In other note, This Isn't Even My Final Form now grants some stacking combat buffs as well when you transform in battle, as long as you don't repeat a previous shape.

All the same, very neat template you just made - especially considering how unexciting he original is.
Thanks! I've grown to quite enjoy the challenge of picking up those dull templates and coming up with abilities to fill them in. :D

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2013, 02:26:57 PM »
Moving Terrain
Well, it isn't that much of a complication considering there are rules for handling armies quickly.
Otherwise I think there is a reason airliners don't do barrel rolls.
If the titanic creature is a dumb giant turtle with an island on its back, it can be trained to move gently at all times for the sake of its passengers.
It feels a little more fair that way considering that, like a mount, it grants free move actions to everyone on it.

Right Under Your Nose
Maybe it should just work against smaller creatures. As in the classical 'so big you don't notice it'.
I don't mind the mindblank while hiding but I don't think it is quite the effect you had in mind. Maybe just make it undetectable by divination spell and effects.
It otherwise leads to strange situations where the creature under an heroism effect loses the benefits while hiding as part of movement. Or activating it to temporarily to cancel a mindaffecting effect since the act of hiding technically doesn't need an action by itself and isn't dependent on a success. You can hide under a cardboard box while jumping around, playing a trumped and swinging a flail at enemies and declare you're hiding, just with huge penalties.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2013, 02:29:36 PM »
Moving Terrain
Well, it isn't that much of a complication considering there are rules for handling armies quickly.
If the titanic creature is a dumb giant turtle with an island on its back, it can be trained to move gently at all times for the sake of its passengers.
It feels a little more fair that way considering that, like a mount, it grants free move actions to everyone on it.

In the case of doing a barrel roll: I think it's fairly easy to rule that people fall out or end up in horrible positions in that sort of situation. :p

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2013, 02:57:43 PM »
Moving Terrain
There's also a reason most modern people don't willingly go to dangerous warzones in order to attempt to gain fame and fortune by fighting in the frontlines. Or we don't just walk into fires (pfft, just 1d6 damage?)

Alas, in D&D a regular griffon mount can do barrel rolls and spins and whatnot, and the ride DC will be exactly the same as if it was flying in a straight line at minimum speed.

If the titanic creature is a dumb giant turtle with an island on its back, it can be trained to move gently at all times for the
sake of its passengers.
Upon which someone will come complaining how it would make more sense for the giant turtle to have a random chance to go bersek based on damage taken/weather/time of the year, adding yet more layers of complication, and... Why do you hate mounts so much? Why do you want to make it completely inpratical to ride a giant beast into battle? :(

Yes, that's kinda the purpose of the ability. You know, to have an actual mechanic benefit, since you didn't pick one of the other options that helps you stay alive or helps you hit harder.

Right Under Your Nose
Maybe it should just work against smaller creatures. As in the classical 'so big you don't notice it'.
I don't mind the mindblank while hiding but I don't think it is quite the effect you had in mind. Maybe just make it undetectable by divination spell and effects.
It otherwise leads to strange situations where the creature under an heroism effect loses the benefits while hiding as part of movement. Or activating it to temporarily to cancel a mindaffecting effect since the act of hiding technically doesn't need an action by itself and isn't dependent on a success. You can hide under a cardboard box while jumping around, playing a trumped and swinging a flail at enemies and declare you're hiding, just with huge penalties.
You can't hide while being observed whitout some special ability.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 03:00:46 PM by oslecamo »

Offline phaedrusxy

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • The iconic spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2013, 11:20:49 PM »
Holy crap this is awesome. Can't wait to see the mobile fortress monstrous crab in the Heroes Reborn game take this.  :lmao
I don't pee messages into the snow often , but when I do , it's in Cyrillic with Fake Viagra.  Stay frosty my friends.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2013, 11:39:23 PM »
And then the Brain in a Jar can build his mobile fortress with ease after all!

Hmm... I wonder if you can turn the back of a moving creature into a god's personal domain thingy if it starts counting as scenery. :lmao