Author Topic: Faster Paced PbP Campaign interest check  (Read 52648 times)

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
Re: Faster Paced PbP Campaign interest check
« Reply #160 on: April 24, 2013, 02:30:58 AM »
For the gestalt side, could Moon Vanguard be used?
I fancy the idea of an Android with at least one level in Super/Real pilot in order to have a mecha with a nanoarmor. It would use One With the Machine on the mecha, effectively becoming a mecha-size version of itself.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 24, 2013, 02:36:56 AM »
Someone's beaten you to it.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 24, 2013, 02:47:32 AM »
I fancy the idea of an Android with at least one level in Super/Real pilot in order to have a mecha with a nanoarmor. It would use One With the Machine on the mecha, effectively becoming a mecha-size version of itself.

I've got a Moon Vanguard off the joke of my char being a Matryoshka Mecha  :D

Offline Concerned Ninja Citizen

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 24, 2013, 02:59:40 AM »
Now that most of us are in the background stage of character creation, any thoughts on a collective party origin?

Do we want to know each other prior to the start of the game?

As lv12 gestalt characters we're probably at least somewhat significant figures in whatever area we usually hang around (for reference, Oslecamo's SRW NPC stats put a pair of protagonists at lv7 and their commander at lv10.)

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 24, 2013, 03:08:14 AM »
Well, I want to know someone, at least, so I can put Friend or Rival in there. :lmao

Collective origin I'm not so sure about. What could possibly call to assemble such a group of people? Hmm...

So, War Hero/Science Experiment is basically what I've gotten so far.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: April 24, 2013, 03:13:39 AM »
I think I wrote myself into being a pirate hunter with military?

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #166 on: April 24, 2013, 06:08:44 AM »
Liking the fluff overall and giving me some ideas to flesh out the starting setting. It's been a busy RL week so still no time to write it out, but tommorrow is a national holyday so hopefully I'll have time to sit down and flesh it out.

No to partial wands as well, altough you may find them as loot.

Why not quickened Fire Shield?
Why not Loredrake?

*cough* I mean, for 7,500gp you get 3 Charges per day and if you expend 3 you get +4d6 to any Spell that deals Fire Damage. In effect I'd have a 5d6+13ish (avg 30.5) Fire Shield running. The combo has been sitting in my head for months and needs an outlet. I know it's not the best way to do things. Fireball is technically superior to Fire Shield even if only the latter has the ring. Proactive>Reactive. Plus a gun toting mech game and melee-only guard? Right... (kinda why the ring is integral).

But at least cost wise the -2 Metamagic reduction for Fire Shield would have opened up other avenues. Partial Wands as well (waithstrike, hunter's eye, and guidance of the avatar!). But same cost and for even weaker version? Nah. Heart of Fire is a better pick if I went that route any way.

Some book digging later. Wreath of Flames, 3rd level & Dragon Magic, it's not an onhit guard but does augment my attacked directly. +5d6 Fire on every attack with an additional 5d6 damage for anyone near me on my turn. Significantly more power, specially given my number of Natural Weapons (6 of them). Could be a pretty deadly offensive augmentation when Channeled as well. Need to drop it's Meta cost by -3. And it's not quite as theme appropriate. :(
Stop trying to squeeze in so much cost reductions! :p

Can the Sacred Treasure Orb maneuver be used to provide the spell components for magic item crafting (those spells it can duplicate, of course)?
I'll allow it, but remember there's o pregame crafting unless it's something critical to your character.

There's already one Moon Vanguard, but by all means feel free to stat up another, it's a class that can go a lot of diferent ways.

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 24, 2013, 08:40:27 AM »
Sounds good then. I got most of it fleshed out but I'll have to adapt to mech combat and refresh my memory as to how it all works. Shouldn't take long but RL is so overwhelming that I'd rather keep the more creative parts for the weekend to get something decent done.

General lines are that the character is a half-golem/fusion golem android saint (sorta counterproductive, I know, but with a twist considering it doesn't get the Saint Body ability).
It is mostly inspired by In-Myung from the Doomsday Book south-Korean movie. Maybe also Blade Runner's replicants, I-Robot's Sonny, KOS-MOS, Aigis and Motoko Kusanagi.

A very old android built to protect humanity that has been redesigned times and times again. Searching the meaning of life and preserving life. Still follows the 3 laws of robotics to the best of its capacity.
It one day diverged from its core programming and began to learn from godly men, amazed them with its wisdom and eventually was revered as the possible latest reincarnation of an ancient messiah.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 24, 2013, 09:26:30 AM »
Ah, you mean moon vanguard instead of the pilot class. Well, all the other base pilot classes have been picked, with even a moon vanguard inside a full mecha, and that's a pretty awesome backstory, so go ahead!

As lv12 gestalt characters we're probably at least somewhat significant figures in whatever area we usually hang around (for reference, Oslecamo's SRW NPC stats put a pair of protagonists at lv7 and their commander at lv10.)

Don't take those as hard guidelines. I intended to make NPCs of all levels between 1-20, however time is limited and stuff.

Plus I had planned to make higher-level versions of those same protagonists.
(click to show/hide)

Anyway, at 12th level you definetely rank among the top elite/veteran pilots. As far as you know, only some other people out there could take you one on one, and then only a few of those would actually have a clear advantage against you. Alas, it's a big universe out there, who knows what may be lurking in the stars... :p

« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 09:32:37 AM by oslecamo »

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 24, 2013, 11:25:14 AM »
Just noticed the Tohou classes and spellcasters interaction. Does that mean that Mercane (which has the psuedocaster ability) would grant full IL for a Tohou class?

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 24, 2013, 11:38:09 AM »
Hmm.

I should probably not call her Amaterasu. :lmao

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 24, 2013, 03:04:55 PM »
Wait. Machine Cell pilot prestige class?
Tell more.  :ninja

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 24, 2013, 05:51:43 PM »
Basically, your mecha gets "doped" with super pseudo-nanomachines that increase its combat ability overall (more high-techish, not bigger/flashier like a super robot) plus also give it uber resilience and regeneration. The Pilot also isaffected by the Machine Cells.

However I want to finish Marisa for ToBhou first.  :P

Just noticed the Tohou classes and spellcasters interaction. Does that mean that Mercane (which has the psuedocaster ability) would grant full IL for a Tohou class?

No. That rule applies only to actual spellcasting prestige classes.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 24, 2013, 05:53:52 PM »
Super Robots are the best robots anyway. Why don't we have a party of them? :p

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 24, 2013, 06:13:40 PM »
Basically, your mecha gets "doped" with super pseudo-nanomachines that increase its combat ability overall (more high-techish, not bigger/flashier like a super robot) plus also give it uber resilience and regeneration. The Pilot also isaffected by the Machine Cells.
Do want!

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 24, 2013, 06:25:21 PM »
Super Robots are the best robots anyway. Why don't we have a party of them? :p

Variety. That's pretty much the only reason from my end. Well, that and the Divine Pilot gets more extra spells known than the Arcane Pilot and fits better with the "does not attack" part of my build. That and the free Hyperjammer gives me a third "you must be this lucky to hit me" effect and the idea of stacking those until my enemies shoot themselves because it's easier than trying to shoot me amuses me.

Still, if the Divine Pilot was allowed to have a super robot, I'd probably go for it.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 24, 2013, 06:29:48 PM »

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 24, 2013, 06:35:47 PM »
Incidentally, I should probably mention that I've got Magic Vestment and Greater Magic Weapon (+3 bonus) as spells known and plenty of slots to cast them with, if that affects anyone's equipment choices.

Can you Magic Weapon a Mecha Weapon and/or Magic Vestment a Mecha?

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 24, 2013, 06:43:30 PM »
Would I get crucified if I said I didn't find that song particularly appealing?

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 24, 2013, 06:48:09 PM »
Not by me, at least.

I should point out that the fictional band that produced said song has thirteen albums under that name.