Author Topic: Anauroch - The Great Desert  (Read 21893 times)

Offline McPoyo

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
Re: Anauroch - The Great Desert
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2012, 12:59:53 PM »
"Executive call time, do we try to work magic on the drow before those things get here, or do we just focus on preparing for them?" Isul asks the group, pointing to the dark specks while standing on top of a rock outcropping.

Offline Sohala

• A hammer is all I need.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2012, 04:29:02 PM »
"And what exactly did you have in mind for us to do to prepare for them? It is not like we can build much of a defense here."
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline McPoyo

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2012, 07:57:37 AM »
Looking down from his perch, the rodent casually replies, "Most of us are spellcasters, so having some time to buff up is always nice. Besides which, we're smaller, and the rocks allow at least some basic defensive assistance. Plus, we always have the option of hiding down in them and letting them pass by." His nose twitches a little as he says the last, however.

Offline brainpiercing

• Honorary Mod
  • Thread Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2012, 03:05:48 PM »
The black specks - or so they had been just a few moments ago, quickly became apparent as frightful riders in jet black armour, their huge mounts the bony remains of what hat once been terrible horse-like beasts. They approachad at a breakneck aerial run in an ordered echelon formation, their untiring mounts occasionally sending out jets of black smoke. They bore huge lances, but they were not set to charge. The rearmost rider had a pole attached to his huge mount, and from it flew a banner. It was hard to see while they approached, but as they drew nearer, their formation suddenly split, the two halves veering left and right to circle. When flying diagonally the banner became plainly visible. It was red and black, with a white stylised single mountain drawn in a circle in the centre.

Devanar, who had finished up his praying, gasped when he saw it.
'I know that banner', he said. 'But why would these abominations bear it?'

Drannoth had taken cover behind a rock.
'Whose is it, then?' he asked, a note of exasperation in his voice.

Devanar turned to him.
'It's the banner of Sirilon of the Mountain, Ladydove's thirteenth councilman. People fear him, as you should any sorceror of his power, but he's generally one of the good guys in Ladydove, having given great aid to the town in the past. He's strongly in league with the Jasites, word is they sent their divine emmisary to permanently serve at his side. Noone has seen him in decades, though.'

Offline McPoyo

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2012, 06:20:45 PM »
"Then it is clear, we may have to contend with the prospect this Sirilon may have something to do with this demon incursion. We don't yet know that he is in league against us yet. I say stand ready, but let them initiate the fight."

Offline Sohala

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2012, 11:24:03 AM »
"What did aiding the city gain him?" Ask the dwarf skeptically

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline brainpiercing

• Honorary Mod
  • Thread Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2012, 01:27:48 PM »
Devanar shrugged.
'This is a question for the mighty. I truly don't know. I'm guessing allegiance, and he has his permanent seat in the council, where the other councilmen are elected by the full citizens and tax payers. I don't know why he wanted the allegiance of a little borderland town like Ladydove. Anyway, we in Lundeth don't see much of him. Which is all good, in my eyes, or else the last good-aligned temple on the frontier might have to close, too.'

The riders now skimmed the dunes in rapid approach.

[ooc]
(click to show/hide)

Offline brainpiercing

• Honorary Mod
  • Thread Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2012, 11:12:08 AM »
[ooc]
(click to show/hide)

Offline brainpiercing

• Honorary Mod
  • Thread Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2012, 11:17:49 AM »
[ooc]
(click to show/hide)
The riders finished their approach with a tight flourish, every rider bringing his mount about to a hover sideways in a  near perfect semicircle 20 feet away from the group, lances pointint to the sky. From up close, their appearance was no less intimidating than when in fast flight. Jet black articulated plate armour covered every rider completely from head to toe, their face-plates were down. Each bore a lance, a shield adorned with the same crest as the flag, and from their hips hung various hand-to-hand weapons. The leader himself was even scarier: A horned helmet with an articulate face mask sat on his head, and from a bulge on his back a seond pair of arms angled forward. Two hands were on the lance, one held his cavalry shield, and the last one hung relaxed on his leg. Each rider maintained an impassive stare at the group.

Their mounts had long lost any semblance of life:  Huge skeletal steeds, every bone as black as coal, smoke pouring from empty nostrils and from their hooves as they stood in mid air. Blackened chain barding hung from their fronts and sides. Both steed and rider acted with perfect precision and discipline, standing like statues, eerily silent in this confrontation, where first words had not yet been spoken.
A gust of wind brought a whiff or putrefaction - not strong, but definitely noticable.
(click to show/hide)

The leader finally shifted his gaze towards the fat priest who cowered shaking behind a far too small rock, gripping his morning star so tight his knuckles showed white through his sunburn.

'Are you Devanar, Priest of Lundeth?', the leader said with a voice that was deep and rough, but also muted and somewhat metally by the mask covering his face.

Devanar got up from his cowering position, reluctantly, and let the weapon hang loosely.
'I am Devanar', he said with a fatalistic air. 'Who wants to know?' The words were defiant, his voice was not.

A gravelly chuckle drifted from the masked head.
'My name is best forgotten, it would not serve you well to know it. I am Captain of First Squadron, 1st. Battallion Air Cavalry of the Army of the Realm of the Mountain, in the service of Sirilon of the Mountain, Thirteenth Councilman of Ladydove, Protector of the Borderlands, Lord of the Realm of the Mountain, Champion of Wee Jas, Upholder of Law, Balance and Order, and enemy of Chaos until final destruction', he droned flatly, losing almost all emphasis after naming his own title.
'My request, if you are so inclined, is one of aid in destruction of the enemy, yonder demon encampment. The demons are massing forces, and even though there is an army on the way to stop them, we fear they may be too late. Once the demons start teleporting the army will never be able to follow, and they will teleport to attack once their numbers are high enough. We don't know their target, because a lot of demons don't even know it, yet, and we could not risk abducting a commander for questioning at this time. As you may or may not know, Demons cannot natively cross the planes - they need help or study sorcery like the rest of us, and those who can are rare. To overcome this problem they will want to set up a permanent portal through which they can just waltz through. At present, this is what they have over there in the desert. And that means that with every minute that passes more demons will get through. The portal must be destroyed. I need your help and the help of your compatriots to do that.'

Devanar suddenly felt very useless.'MY help? Surely you are joking...'

Offline McPoyo

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2012, 06:06:56 PM »
Isul's ears perk up when he hears that they won't have to fight such strong foes as these knights.  He holds his tongue, despite his curiosity wondering if these riders have a means to shut down a portal.

Offline brainpiercing

• Honorary Mod
  • Thread Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2012, 05:27:41 AM »
'I am not joking', the rider growled. 'I have been recalled for other duties, so I cannot make a prolonged engagement against these demons. Also, we are already few, and have no magical support. We will create a diversion large enough for you to sneak in and smash the damned thing. I believe good guys like you have to jump at a chance like that. Just think of all the babies that won't get eaten if you manage to close that portal.
You need to be thorough, though, you have to smash the portal and then steal all the pieces, or else they'll just fix it. We'll hit them from the other side, and draw out the biggest nasties. That should give you a limited window to get in and do the job. We mapped the place from the air, I can give you that map.'

Devanar recoiled with a grimace.
'NO, I mean, how? I'm not a soldier, I can't do that. These fellows here might, but... it's not their war, strictly speaking. We only wanted to scout. In any case, I can't decide that. It's up to my compatriots.'

It was about at that moment than a certain halfling on a riding dog decided that it would be best if he not took part in this endeavor.
'I will have no part in this madness', Mael said with as much sternness as he could muster. 'I will retreat back to Ladydove. If I meet the army on my way I will tell them what's going on.'
[PRIVATE for Omen, if you are reading]
(click to show/hide)

Offline McPoyo

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2012, 11:17:27 AM »
Isul chose that moment to speak up, "I find it hard to believe simply hitting this portal will collapse it, they're usually magically reinforced, and I personally have no spells to take one down."

Offline brainpiercing

• Honorary Mod
  • Thread Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2012, 12:40:01 PM »
The captain swiveled his head towards the rodent.
'Aye, it might not. We have been told that smashing it would close the portal until the structure was rebuilt, and indeed that was my job, but the sheer number of Balors that have popped through there have made it impossible, with our numbers. And we are not suited to sneaking in.
Perhaps I should have mentioned the compensation that the  Army of of the Realm of the Mountain would be willing to pay for this assistance. I cannot yet tell you the exact amount, but it should be forthcoming in a few moments. We tend to leave our monitors behind a bit when flying.'
He seemed to concentrate for a second, then looked around.
'Not yet...' he said.
The he quite abruptly rested his lance in a fixture on the huge mount, jumped down, and approached Devanar.
'Give us a minute...' he said purposefully, and looked around again. Devanar sniffed the air, and one could see he would really like to leave the vicinity of this four-armed monstrosity.
'Finally. Good', the captain went on. He looked upwards and spoke as if to someone else. 'I have here the priest Devanar from Lundeth, and compatriots, whom we wish to contract for the destruction of the portal. Please provide a possible amount of compensation.'

[For those with See invis on or true seeing]
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 01:02:12 PM by brainpiercing »

Offline McPoyo

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2012, 12:46:25 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Offline Sohala

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2012, 01:37:27 AM »
(click to show/hide)

[Devanar recoiled with a grimace.] "Hrmp, not my war? The infernal spawn have lain siege to my home! How is it not my war?" Torgthen's visibly grips his hammer tighter and glares at the coward of a cleric.

[Invisible stuff] "Who are you babbling to? I don't see a bloody thing." He glances this way and that, looking for the target of the leader's talking.

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline brainpiercing

• Honorary Mod
  • Thread Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2012, 05:20:04 AM »
The captain turned towards the dwarf.
'We are always monitored to ensure that headquarters know about the tactical situation.'
He stood motionless for a few seconds.
'I am authorized to offer you ten thousand gold pieces per relevant head, that is, only able-bodied warriors or spellcasters, no pets, no servants. Payment can be made when you visit the Realm, or by messenger. At present all teleportation capable messengers are occupied, but we will send one as soon as possible. Now please make haste with your decision, we need to move. We have to return to base within two hours.'
Devanar shrugged, visible discomfort still on his face, and turned to his compatriots.
'What do you say? It seems like total madness, but...'
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 05:21:46 AM by brainpiercing »

Offline Sohala

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2012, 05:37:46 PM »
"Yer monitored even when you relieve yourself? Don't sound like anyway that I'm wanting to live." Mumble the little dwarf to no one in particular.

"You sound just like one of them gnomes trying to sell me ensurance. What dwarf needs ensurance I say, wh-" Torgthen seemed to be winding up for a long rant, but was quickly disrupted by his dark companion, who somewhat dashed from his hiding place in the back. The dwarf looked more surprised than angry.

"The gold, that, um, includes me?" There was a desperate look about him as he asked this.

"Come now Drannoth, you don't want to be joining in this. It is next to suicide, and you have no stake in it." Skepticism ran deep in the dwarf's statement.

Desperation turned to anger, "I'm dead if I stay out here alone, I'm dead if I go home, and I'm dead if I do this. At least this way, I have a chance at some gold." Turning back to the leader the drow asked, "So does it?"

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline brainpiercing

• Honorary Mod
  • Thread Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2012, 04:24:08 PM »
'Sucks, now, doesn't it?' the captain responded to Torgthen's relieving comment.

Then he mustered Drannoth for a moment.
'Why wouldn't it count for you? Are you a servant of some sort? If you have weapons it should count for you. It'll even count for the rat. And for the cat.'
He sounded the least bit cheerful when he said this.

Offline Sohala

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2012, 12:05:04 PM »
(click to show/hide)

"No, I'm not a servant." The drow's posture belays embarrassment, but also relief.

"My people will fare better without that blasted portal; I'll go, and will take yer blood money as well." Torgthen continued to eye the riders warily, but took up a more relaxed stance.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 11:41:57 AM by Sohala »

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline McPoyo

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2012, 11:50:37 AM »
"If you'll provide sufficient distraction, there's no reason not to at least make the attempt. When do we leave?" Isul asks.